FP Help Needed! (X1 or Panny 200u/300u especially, but all comments welcome)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Carlo Medina, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Okay I'm interested in getting a Front Projector for my apartment. But I have two problems stemming from the fact that it's an apartment that I'll be in for only 2-3 years and has strict rules on what you can/can't do to the walls/ceiling:

1. Since I can't mount a screen, so I'll be shooting onto a slightly off-white, but pretty smooth, wall.

2. I also can't ceiling mount a projector, so it will have to sit at the back of the living room, on a mantle on top of the fireplace (which is never used so no, I'm not going to burn my projector).

I have never owned an FP so I'm a newbie with some basic questions. How big will the screen size be if the mantle to wall distance is approx. 14 feet? How controllable/adjustable is the size with either the X1, Panny 200u or Panny 300u? Will I achieve reasonably good looking results (I currently own a Panny 47" HDTV)?

I know a wall isn't ideal, but really that's my only option right now until I can buy a condo. Anyone have luck with these projectors only on a wall? Any advice you'd give me?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would opt for the Panny L300U and zoom it in for about a 100" image. Does anyone have the L300U throw chart?

3. Carlo Medina

Ah - throw charts: something I have no experience and knowledge of, but I think from the name I can figure out how that would be of help to me.

I'll start doing google and manufacturer web site searches for throw charts for the X1, 200u and 300u. If someone could post it here that would be very appreciated.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

5. Carlo Medina

100" might be too big (my RPTV has to stay there and it's 48" tall, I think my apartment the requisite 49" above that on the wall (100" diagonal = 87" x 49") but it'd be a close thing. Eek!

6. Carlo Medina

Thanks Chad, what's that screen size you're getting from 15' throw distance?

7. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I never actually measured it...guessing 80" wide ...not diaganol...I will measure it tonight because it has to be back next Wed....just to let you know you can demo the X1 for free....14 day period that is what I am doing right now and it is tempting to buy one....
    I can post all my stuff later when I get home...

8. Carlo Medina

Are you demo'ing it straight from InFocus? oh man, you're going to get me in trouble with the girlfriend telling me that. [​IMG]

9. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I'll PM you with the Info... I just filled it out using my work info because then I knew I would get it and not have to dink around with UPS.

10. Carlo Medina

Thanks for those helpful links Chad. I'm trying to decide if I want to do the infocus demo w/ that PM you sent me, or if the local Best Buy (across the street from my apt...literally!) has a flexible (and 100%, ie. no restocking fee) return policy on projectors, because they do carry the X1 and that would be the easiest way for me to demo it in-house.

My local HT dealer is Panny authorized, and I'm on good terms with them, so if I like the results of the X1, I'll probably be able to score the 300u for not much more since I get near-employee pricing on my purchases.

11. Carlo Medina

Okay I've measured my throw as the distance from the front of the projector (i.e. the lens) to the actual wall (which I'm using because I can't put up a screen). This is correct, right? I've measured it to be between 12-13', I have some wiggle room as I might be able to mount something on the back wall to make the projector jut out about a foot from the wall because I can't have much more than a 100" screen on the wall. Looks like I'll just barely make it with the 300u and will have quite a bit of room with the X1.

Now I've come to the point where I am trying to find an X1 to audition--either through Chad's source or from Best Buy if they have a 100% return policy--to see if I'm sensitive to rainbows. I know I'm not very sensitive to screendoor effect, and the 300u has a SDE reducing technology that according to several review sites works quite well.

I'll probably audition the X1 just to see how an FP will work in my apartment and if it turns out well I'll spring for a 300u.

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Carlo at that distance I think my Studio Experience 1HD (Z1 clone) would work as well to give you another option

13. Carlo Medina

Thanks Andrew. I've looked online for that FP and find its price to be MSRP $2399 and can't find a place that discounts it. I can get the X1 for $900 and the 300u for close to dealer price. What does the 1HD street for and can you recommend a good place to buy it from?

Thanks!

14. Carlo Medina

I was at projector central, and for some odd reason, when I put the 12' throw distance in for both the PLV-Z1 and the 1HD, their screen sizes came up different, by quite a margin actually. Are the throw distances different for these? I thought the 1HD was just a rebadged Z1?

15. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

There's an error on projector central since you're right these are identical machines save the color and warrenty (1HD is longer). Most places are selling the 1HD or Z1 for about $1100 US and often include a free DVD player or screen. here's one place that has it for around that price. You might find a better price if you look around.

16. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

I have the Panny 300U, but regardless of which model you choose (and yes at 13 or so feet the image width on the 300U would be about 100" since it is 70" with my projector at about nine feet.

But keep this fact in mind regardless of which projector you finally go with. If you mount your projector on the mantle, the top of the image will extend about 50 inches high and about 8 inches below the height of the mantle. This means if your mantle is too high, the top of the image will hit the ceiling. If you tilt the machine down, then you will introduce the keystone effect. And if you use the keystone correction, the image quality will degrade somewhat.

You might want to consider a small table on wheels that you could roll out from the wall when using the projector. This method would reduce distance to the wall (screen) and eliminate the need for keystone correction.

17. Carlo Medina

Thanks for the tips, Thomas, very helpful since I've never dealt with an FP before... [​IMG]

18. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I measured the screen and it was 92" wide. I took more pics some didn't come out as nice though.

19. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

If positioning is an issue get the Z1 or 1HD. With their lens shifting feature you can very easily shift the image up or down (and left/right) without having to use keystone correction