FP for everyday use

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MannyE, Nov 10, 2003.

1. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

I will soon be making some upgrades to the old HT and the most significant one will be the change from a RPTV to a FP.

Over the years the HT has become the focal point of the house and I am finding that the TV gets daily use, and that since the twins were born, about an hour extra regular TV watching (Barney and Teletubbies) than before.

I did a little study and found that I watch about 10-12 hours of TV during the week, 2-3 movies on the weekend plus football on Sunday, plus the 5 weekly the kids are using it. Also occasional X-box (about two hours a month).

This all says to me that my FP cannot be a special occasion toy, but a full-time workhorse. Is there anyone here puts that many hours on their system?

2. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

I do. Maybe ten hours a week average, like you (most of that is actually spent tweaking, since I'm in the process of constructing a dedicated home theater and am still experimenting with screen type, distance, etc....

There are always debates about bulb life among FP users...Some people worry about using up the bulb too fast, but for me it's not worth it. I want to enjoy my projector and not worry about it, so I don't for the most part. Plus Sanyo was nice enough to send me a brand new bulb (I have a green hue problem which a tech said was due to my old bulb, but I'm not so sure about this) so when the old one does finally die, I'll just pop the new one in. Maybe my attitude will change if someday I wake up and I have to shell out $300 for a new bulb, but I can't imagine giving up my FP for a RP setup, even if they do last longer, and I'm not even sure they do...Plus there are all the problems with convergence, etc...

3. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

I just got into FP last week. Just picked up a 1HD. We plan on using it for everything. TV, Videogame (which I play in excess) movies. I sold my old RPTV and this is all I've got. I am with Larry on this one. I bought it to enjoy it. If I have to buy a bulb 18 months from now, so what. I know I got the use out of it while I have it. Who knows, 2 years from now you may be in the market for an upgrade and have no need for a new bulb. At least that is my plan.

4. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Excellent. If it's just the bulb, and the replacement interval is 12 to 18 months, and the cost is 300 to 500 a bulb, what's the big deal?

300 to 500 a year to have a MOVIE THEATER in my house? That's good enough for me! What I will save in not paying for tickets and theater concessions more than covers it!

5. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Yeah, I'd venture that's how most of us with FPs feel, Manny. It's just kind of a crapshoot. I'm hoping my current bulb goes for 2000 hours but you never know. At least I have a 90 day warranty on it, so I'm safe for those 90 days.