FP and Bulb life?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamC, Sep 30, 2002.

1. WilliamC

WilliamC Stunt Coordinator

I am looking into FP since my new elite set is on the fritz after only a week. So i plan to use it only for HD broadcast and DVDs. Roughly I'd say maybe 50-60 hours a month (probably less). So my question is how long would the bulb last 1-2 years or more. and is it worth it buying FP. Any recommendation on units?

Thanks in Advance,
    William

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Bulb life varies by projector but you should get 1-2 years without a problem with most projectors.
    What's your budget for a projector? Also, What's the distance from viewing area to wall, and is the room light controlled?

3. WilliamC

sorry forgot to put that in. My budget is about 4k. my room is 15x14 so i'd be sitting between 11-13 feet away.
    I still have to demo DLP and LCD, but i've heard something about a screen door effect and that doesn't sound to good. I also know about the rainbow effect with DLP so i'll take a look at that.

4. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

There are lots of new projectors coming out, which I'd be keeping an eye on. (check AVS and projector central)

I have an LCD. I find screendoor less of a problem than dealing with a DLP. I just sit back 1.5 to 2 times the screen width and don't see screendoor 99% of the time.

With a $4K budget, you have multiple choices. Also keep in mind how big a screen you want and the throw distances of the projectors you are considering.

5. WilliamC

forgot i'd like something thats WXGA

6. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

None of the FP's in that range are true HD....They are gonna convert any HD into the native resolution....If you truly wish to view HD - then either CRT or RPTV is your best bet....

For DVD's totally different....the low resolution of DVD is fine for ANY of the current FP's...all the way down to the lowly AE100....

I guess it depends on your true needs/desires weighed against the options....FYI, Screendoor on LCD is non-factor, IMO...I have an AE100 - the lowest resolution and there is no screendoor in my setup (although if you needed, I can reveal it)...It just depends on the setup I guess....LCD have many more problems with blacks & shadow detail. The blacks are ok, but the shadow detail is debateable, IMO...

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  8. WilliamC

Dave WXGA is HD. True HD is 1280x720. XGA is not true HD so why would a WXGA pj downconvert.

9. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

I think someone (me? [​IMG] ) should go read the ATSC specifications for high definition and become more familiar with the many formats and resolutions that meet HD.

10. WilliamC

technically speaking HD is 1920x1080, but as far as I know only 9" CRTS can do that resolution. So an RPTV can't do 1920x1080 unless it's using 9" CRTS which most do not. So wha I meant was that i be in the same boat going with RPTV and FP except FP would provide me with a better picture overall from what i have heard

11. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Really, so you are saying also then that 720P is not HD? I guess all those projector manufacturers must be taking 1080i and downconverting and line-doubling the 1080i that must be the only HD signal out there!?!
    Please refer to Table A1 on page 28 of this original document.
    Then, turn to the amendment attached to that document, specically Table A10 on page 78 for the resolutions added to the original three specified above.
    I also find it strange that you refer to what you are saying is technically speaking when doing so you do not even refer to the 1920x1080 as benig interlaced or progressive, cmopletely ignore one national network using a different ATSC-specified HD format (I think its either CBS or ABC using the 720P instead of 1080i), and that some manufacturers are catering the developments to 720P.
    If this is insufficient information for what I was suggesting, then read Section II of this and just chalk what he is saying as someone talking out their hind quarters. [​IMG]
    Ok, enough. I guess all those people out there producing, viewing, and manufacturnig for something other than 1920x1080 are liars, scam artists, and whatnot. [​IMG]

12. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

13. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Most bulbs last 2000 hours, but some go down to 1000, and upwards of 6000. A projector with a 2000 hour bulb will last you just over 33 months (almost 3 years) with 60 hours of watching a month. At 50 hours a month on a 6000 hour bulb, you're talking 10 years.

The best you're going to get with that budget is just over 720p, at 1366x768. You may want to look into that new sony VPL-HS10 (700:1 contrast, 1200 lumens, though Sony likes to overstate the contrast). It lists at $3k, so it should be available for less soon.

14. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Gabriel,

In the first nine months of ownership, my wife and I put about 1200 hours of direct and environmental viewing on our RPTV.

Now, I know this does not equate to a dedicated theater, but then again it all depends on one's term of dedication (mine definition is my dedication to using it!).

15. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Brae: I hear you. I watch quite a bit of TV and movies as well. However, I was only answering WilliamC's question, as posted at the start of this thread. [​IMG]