What's new

Fox's The Young Master -- Misframed? (1 Viewer)

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
After his exceptional comparison review for The Prodigal Son (which can be seen here), Geoff De'arth has taken the trouble to offer us a highly detailed, indepth comparison review of the recent US release and the current UK release of Jackie Chan's The Young Master.

Click here to see if Fox's May 25th US budget release, is as good (or better) than Hong Kong Legends' 2002 release; and more importantly to see if the movie is actually any good.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Well, according to that review, the movie's not that good:

Having seen it years ago, I'm inclined to agree.

And since the Fox U.S. release, warts and all, will end up in the Wal-Mart bargain bin for $5.50 U.S., it's the same as renting and beats paying upwards of $25-$30 U.S. for the HKL version. Admittedly, the picture on the HKL edition is better, but in the cases of nearly all the other Fox titles so far, Fox beats HKL hands down. On top of that and the ridicullously low price, the extras on the HKL editions are not that spectacular and usually amount to present-day interviews, very little legitimate behind-the-scenes stuff (since HK filmmakers rarely made any back then), reworked trailers for other HKL titles and occasionally error-prone commentaries by Bey Logan, sometimes joined by one of the filmmakers.

I'll give HKL credit, though, they were far more "into" giving HK cinema classics fair treament long before the Americans were.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Well, according to that review, the movie's not that good:

Having seen it years ago, I'm inclined to agree.

And since the Fox U.S. release, warts and all, will end up in the Wal-Mart bargain bin for $5.50 U.S., it's the same as renting and beats paying upwards of $25-$30 U.S. for the HKL version. Admittedly, the picture on the HKL edition is better, but in the cases of nearly all the other Fox titles so far, Fox beats HKL hands down. On top of that and the ridicullously low price, the extras on the HKL editions are not that spectacular and usually amount to present-day interviews, very little legitimate behind-the-scenes stuff (since HK filmmakers rarely made any back then), reworked trailers for other HKL titles and occasionally error-prone commentaries by Bey Logan, sometimes joined by one of the filmmakers.

I'll give HKL credit, though, they were far more "into" giving HK cinema classics fair treament long before the Americans were.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I found this at my local borders for 7.99. Worth owning just for the final fight. I am still in awe of it. Just amazing stuff.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I found this at my local borders for 7.99. Worth owning just for the final fight. I am still in awe of it. Just amazing stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks