What's new

Fox's Steve Feldstein Puts The Format war To Rest (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I was just saying that I felt that if X-Men 3 came out on HD-DVD it would most likely have Dolby True HD or at least a Dolby Digital Plus track. It seems like all the lossless audio tracks for HD-DVD are Dolby only. I do not believe there has been any Dolby True HD tracks for Blu-ray at least not yet. There has only been some lossless PCM tracks and the DTS-HD titles that are coming out starting Nov 14th. I will be buying X-Men 3 the day it comes out on Blu-ray even though I allready own the SD-DVD with DTS. I am most likely going to buy the Panasonic Blu-ray player and I am going to start buying titles now so I have a small library to watch when I bring home the player. I have a HD-A1 HD-DVD player allready but with DTS-HD on Blu-ray I may end up buying more Bluray titles than HD-DVD. The only way I will pick HD-DVD over Blu-ray at this time is if the Bluray disc only has regular DD or DTS and the HD-DVD has Dolby True HD. Then with one having lossless and the other one not, it will then be purchased in HD-DVD. And it also depends on the title and if its only available in one format and not the other as well.

Let me see, looking at the must have list X-Men 3 next week in DTS-HD check. :emoji_thumbsup: Still waiting for Saving Private Ryan, Pirates Of The Caribbean and Lord Of The Rings in HD with lossless audio. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
As many of you, when I picked HD-DVD (one format is enough for me, and god knows I don't have the money to support both) I took a risk about owning a format which could possibly be obsolete in the course of the next year or so. So I do get rather passionate about my reactions to any "good" news or big announcments from the Blu Ray camp. I know many of us do, as nobody wants to back the wrong horse.

Personally, I have a lot of faith in HD-DVD being the winner if only because we I look at the software selection - Blu Ray doesn't impress. There are no Fox HD titles which have yet to peak my interest. Disney is in the same boat. Universal really sold me with the Fast and The Furious movies (stupid yes, but also fun to watch and makes for better repeat viewings). I would think that my disinterest in these rather lack luster launch titles (seriously, LXG and the Transporter over Fight Club???) is shared by a lot of people when looking at Blu Ray over HD-DVD. In fact, have you ever started at the HD selection at a Best Buy and though, 'Jeez, Blu Ray has a really s***y collection of titles! Beachwarmers and Stealth, versus Apollo 13 and The Bourne Supremacy - hmm, which should I choose?'. I mean some Blu Ray racks look like the discount bin at Blockbuster. And to be fair, that's saying a lot because HD-DVD does have a very medicore line-up compared to what they could offer.

I agree with Ron that this final quarter will be very telling. There are people out there who like X3 and Kingdom of Heaven, and I'm sure they're going to be very happy. PS3 does pose a threat, although I personally don't care to own one anymore and I know many others who are the same.

So this is where I stand. Blu Ray was once, what I though, going to be the gold standard in next generation video distrubtion. Instead its just as good as HD-DVD. Kinda like the Cell chip is just AS good as the 360's PowerPC processors. It's kind dissapointing considering the years of hype.

I dunno, just my two cents.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
....and guys....

Please stop fighting over these comments being slung by
companies and studios on both sides of the format camp.

It's all PR spin for the media! That's all it is!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I agree Ronald there job is to build excitement for there product and get people to want to sell it and people to buy it. Its been this way for a long time and its not going to change. I some member think what Steve Feldstein said was argent in any way. Try going to CEDI or CES, I am sure Ronald Epstein and a few other can tell you. That is a big part of these shows is building up a comanies product and getting people interested in that product, there like a huge PR tornado. :laugh:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, Paul is right.

A lossless track is bit-to-bit equal to the master. If one master is 16/48 and another 24/48, then the quality of those two lossless tracks will differ too, of course.
But we're discussing lossless tracks of the same master here, generated through different lossless coding.

Your remark, Ed, resembles the one of someone saying "lossless" isn't always "lossless", because one piece of music is brilliant, while another piece stinks.

Cees

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
OK!
Maybe we are on the same page.
"Then the quality of those two lossless tracks will differ too, of course".
That's what I was asking when I got the "stinks" reply.
So indeed, not all lossless is created equally. Some DD+ track, may out preform a lossless track.

I've been trying to follow HD disc, being an audiophile, to get only the 'best' soundtracks posible.
They, BD/HD DVD & DD/DTS, sure don't make it easy!
As the OP of the thread that was closed hinted at, I do not wish to double dip on HD disc for better soundtracks.

Thank you both, for your help.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Maybe I should have added that smilie after all. :)
(I believed you would take it as implied.)

The analogy was "comparing apples to apples". ;)
(Yes, we were on the same page, and you got the "stinks reply", but not a "stinking reply", at least that wasn't meant. :) )

Lots of smilies in this one!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks