What's new

Fox's reissue of ANASTASIA - anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
A search didn't turn up anything, so I'll post a new thread:

I have the previous Fox release of ANASTASIA (1997), the animated feature. The widescreen version is non-anamorphic letterboxed. It's a very nice transfer given that it's not anamorphic.

I see that the Amazon.com description of the new Fox reissue (at a lower price), which streets tomorrow 2/19/02, says that the widescreen version on the disc is anamorphic.

Can anyone confirm this? Any reviews yet on the picture quality? Trying to determine if it's worth upgrading and selling the original.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think many people who write the copy for these releases are aware of the difference between plain old letterboxing and anamorphic widescreen. They think they're the same and use the terms interchangeably.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks for the info. A price drop only would seem to make sense.

However, I also notice that dvdpricesearch.com also lists the new release as 16:9 enhanced, as does dvdplanet.com. I suppose they could all be based on the same incorrect information, but I'd really like to get a definite confirmation on this.

Has anyone confirmed this with Fox? If anybody buys the new version tomorrow please let us know if it's anamorphic or not.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
The original release has two versions on the disc:

A 2.35:1 non-anamorphic letterboxed version, and

a 1.48:1 Pan&Scan version (why they didn't just do 1.33:1, I don't know).

There is also a 27 minute documentary and 7 minute featurette.

The disc specs for the new release appear to be identical, except the widescreen version is now described as anamorphic.

Chad, are you saying that the actual DVD cover that you saw on the shelf lists the widescreen as being 16:9 enhanced?

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Glenn,

Hundred apologies..

I picked it up, looked quickly, thought I saw anamorphic, put it back down. I headed back out the double double check.

The only differences are the fox family banner and 5 dollars off Ice Age at the theater.

Sorry,

-Chad

Real Name
Patrick Lyons
I can confirm that the rerelease is NOT anamorphic. It's the same exact disc in new packaging. The old disc was blue and the new disc is red. What a crying shame.

Lance_G

Grip
Does anyone know if the remastered 16x9 version is still being released next week? If so, any reviews?

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
It is coming out next week still. On another unnamed site which posts the big store ads very early has it listed in some ads. I haven't seen any reviews or if it's 16 x 9 (but I would hope so). MovieCash for Ice Age 2 is also in it & the new rerelease of Ice Age.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I didn't even know about this! I really like this movie for some reason. I will definitely replace my old version. I have to get around to replacing my non-anamorphic Ever After, too.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Joel,

I thought they said that the new release was mis-labeled and that it is NOT anamorphic after all...

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the anamorphic version of Anastasia in region 3 few years back. The master they used probably is the same with non-anamorphic version, which doesn't have the details that the normal anamorphic picture should have. I wonder the upcoming release is remastered from high-definition source. Can anyone confirm this?

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
According to the back cover shot at DVD Empire, it is anamorphic widescreen and it includes the sequel Bartok the Magnificent on Disc 2! Not bad for the $15 price.

-

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
earlier in the thread folks thought that the package was mislabled (like the Abyss which *still* falsely said "anamorphic" even on its 2nd DVD release...)

Unitl someone can confirm, we shouldn't assume!

-dave

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
2 discs, new cover and Anamorphic, so this says:
http://www.dvdtown.com/discdetails/a...PSESSID=45a6c3
At $19.99 SRP I dont think its a 'budget re-issue"
Ive seen a couple other sites list it as Anamorphic, also-
which doesnt necessarily mean squat, but its a hopeful sign
Tho Im perplexed -why a Pan/scan edition on side 2?
Its 2006, not 1998-lets hope FOX does right by this;
The FOX site, however, only lists it as "widescreen"

BrandonJF

Second Unit
earlier in the thread folks thought that the package was mislabled (like the Abyss which *still* falsely said "anamorphic" even on its 2nd DVD release...)
The discussion earlier in the thread was about a price dropped re-release that happened a few years ago. The thread was resurrected to discuss the entirely separate re-release that comes out Tuesday (3/14/06).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks