What's new

Fox's Naked Killer (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
So since the new Fox release of Naked Killer has some major cuts, does the R2 HKL release have the same cuts? What's the deal?

And has Fox ever said why we don't get the commentaries from the HKL discs?

-Dave

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Hong Kong Legends R2 UK release is the complete version of the film. The price is a bit high but it is 16x9(PAL) with some great special features.

If you want the complete version in NTSC without the special features, there is the Hong Kong release distributed by Mega Star. Its pretty affordable at around $10-$15 but is presented in letterbox only.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
According to Bey Logan, he was mentioned something along the lines that Americans wouldn't sit through a commentary by somebody with an English accent. I can't find the exact quote at the moment.

When I e-mailed the company licensing the rights to FOX, they said at the time this was false. I have a feeling Fox didn't want to pay extra for the commentary. Bey Logan shoots from the hip so I don't doubt he was told what he said.

I heard that Fox cut this for an R rating but I don't understand why they would buy a title like this if they just want to cut it up. It makes no senese. Maybe they couldn't have it unrated so Blockbuster would carry it?

Can anybody confirm if these are indeed new masters? I have heard that these may just be NTSC transfers of the PAL master from HKL. If this is the case, Magnificent Butcher may still have problems. Has anybody noticed PAL speedup?

This could be why they are so cheap. While the Hong Kong Legends line isn't perfect every single time, I don't understand why Fox would belittle their efforts by cutting one of their movies.

I should be getting Magnificent Butcher any day so i will let everybody know if it suffers the same problem with the image as the HKL release.

Matt

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
I watched my copy of The Magnificent Butcher over the weekend, and I didn't notice any PAL speedup, but I wasn't looking for it either.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
My husband bought this (the PAL version) sight unseen and didn't like. Me, I hated it. It was pure trash and all flash. Confusing too.

To each their own I guess.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I am happy to say that Magnificent Butcher does not have the picture flaw of the HKL DVD. This is great news.

In oticed that these are given ratings on the back of the DVD cases. That's odd. Maybe for Blockbuster to carry these Fox had to get them rated. Maybe this is why Naked Killer is cut a bit.

Matt

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
The cuts that Fox made are lame. You can see stuff in the special features that obviously were cut from the movie. Best Buy had it for $9.99, so it is barely more than a rental, but I have to order another copy from HKL so I can see the real movie.

I also ordered Police Story since they had a 16:9 DD 5.1 dual language version available.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Oh crap... I had a post here that was response to "28 Days" NOT Naked Killer. So... pardon my mess.

Also, Naked Killer HKL is cut as well. Muldoon points out the Taiwanese and Japanese LD have more scenes/.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Chris -

Guess who seems to have aquired the rights to Bruce Lee's movies? Dimension. The recent run on AMC of some of Lee's movies had the Dimension logo in front of some of them.

I guess that is why the Fox box set isn't available anymore.

Matt

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I have still seen the box set around here, but have passed it up in favor of the R0 from HK. I lucked out in getting the FoF special edition with the Bey Logan commentary for about $3 :emoji_thumbsup: I'll pick up the others here and there as long as I can get a version with the OSL.

Chris

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
Wow, Dimension snagged the Bruce Lee films?

What a kick in the pants to Bruce Lee fans.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
I want to get naked killer on dvd

I live in the US.

which ntsc version is the complete uncut? and best transfer

heres a listing from dvdpricesearch.com

I see there's a dubbed version. I wouldnt mind that one if its uncut.

Naked Killer Foreign Tai Seng $17.01 Check Prices

Naked Killer (dubbed) Tai Seng $18.49

Naked Killer (Subtitled/ CAV) $17.96

thanks

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
The first one in your list is probably a Tai-Seng rebadge of this:

[url=http://www.dddhouse.com/dddhouse/en...l&productID=981]http://www.dddhouse.com/dddhouse/en...l&productID=981[/url]

If that's the case, it's uncut, but as someone mentioned, it's letterbox, not anamorphic.

The second one on your list is probably a Tai Seng rebadge of this:

[url=http://www.dddhouse.com/dddhouse/en...&productID=3274]http://www.dddhouse.com/dddhouse/en...&productID=3274[/url]

Which is the identical movie, as far as I know, with English dubbing and English subtitles ONLY. Both this and the first one are originally distributed by Hong Kong's MegaStar label and are thus region-free and NTSC.

The third one on your list sounds like a laserdisc, and thus hardly worth nearly eighteen bucks.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
quote:What do you mean by rebadge?

Sorry about that, Stephen. Not sure why I use that phrase, as I seem to be the only one who does, but a lot of Tai Seng's Hong Kong titles are simply the Hong Kong editions with the Tai Seng logo added to the sleeve (usually in the form of a sticker, or "badge") and the opening logos on the discs (before the menu comes up). Unfortunately, they are also known on occasion to delete special features, including trailers (but not always), but otherwise the transfers are usually the same, good or bad. I have both the original HK editions of NAKED KILLER, and both only had trailers, so if anything's missing, that would be it. Hope that helps.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
I understand now..

thanks Brian..

before I take the plunge on one of those Tai Seng dvds, is there any anyword on fox releasing an uncut version? Its ashame they felt they needed to release an R rated version.

the Block Buster by me now carries unrated versions for new releases.. girl next door..taking lives..eurotrip, badder santa

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Stephen -

I don't think it's ever been confirmed that Fox cut Naked Killer for the rating. It's assumed by many but I have never heard that from any of my sources. There is a rape scene in Iron Fisted Monk that Fox did not cut and didn't even mention it under the R rating. This is worse than anything from Naked Killer.

If you don't have a region free player, this is probably your best bet, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...?v=glance&s=dvd .

There is another version that has burnt in subtitles that go off the screen and has some of the language censored with a beep.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks