What's new

FOX's "FernGully: The Last Rainforest" PAN & SCAN only? (1 Viewer)

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
Of the few sites that have posted info on this 2/19 FOX release, all have claimed it will be pan & scan only. I haven't heard anymore news since December, so hopefully something's changed.
Can anyone confirm that "FernGully: The Last Rainforest" will be pan & scan only? Better yet, can someone tell me I'm wrong on this?
This is one of my favorite animated features, and I would hate to think it's so poorly thought-of to deserve to be butchered just because it's a "family" movie. :frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
We've known OF this since November. A search on the word "Fergully" quickly turns up this thread:
Fox animated titles P&S?
Which is one of the reason's I am not certain I am entirely buying that Fox is still 100% committed to OAR, as their exec Peter Staddon states in this HTF post.
You see, there's a "recent development" in which 10 "already released in OAR" Fox titles are being re-released in P&S versions. However, 2 months ago Fox had already committed to releasing these kid's titles in P&S, AFTER the HTF had already fought (and won!) the battles with WB for Willie Wonka and Cats & Dogs. Well, in the old thread about Ferngully, we asked for Peter's response and never got it. And so when Peter Staddon says:
As I said at the beginning of the thread, Fox's commitment to launching OAR DVD's has not changed. If you wish to view a movie in OAR - and I'm with you on that - you can
...well, Fox has to prove that to me on EVERY title, including stuff for my 4-year-old!

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
I just got two of Fox's Family Feature DVDs, A Troll in Central Park and Thumbelina, and both are widescreen anamorphic. Bot of them contain several trailers, including the one for Ferngully, and ALL of the trailers are also in widescreen anamorphic format. So I think FOX will continue this trend of double sided DVDs, with the P&S version in one side, and the widescreen anamorphic on the flip side.
JC

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Ferngully will definitly be anamorphic widescreen and P&S on the same disc. Go to DVDplanet.com and check the back graphic.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for the information...I'll take your word for it as I'm too backed up to check it out myself right now.

This is a big relief; it DOES help reinforce Peter's statement's that Fox is currently still committed to OAR on all titles.

I'm still concerned about the future, but for the present we appear to be okay.

THANK YOU FOX, AND THANK YOU PETER!

Robert George

Screenwriter
This is firsthand info. I have copies of Ferngully, Thumbelina, and A Troll in Central Park. All three are two-sided with fulllscreen on one side and enhanced widescreen on the other.

I have only looked at Ferngully but was very pleased with the transfer. Blows the doors off the older Region 2 disc I got from Japan. The 5.1 soundtrack is even more terrific.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I have the Warner version of THUMBELINA. Is there any compelling reason to ditch (sell) it and switch to the Fox version? Is it the same transfer or new and better?

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Any advance information on whether Anastasia, being released the same day by Fox, is also anamorphic?

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent news! Thanks, everyone, for clearing that up. I can't wait to see the disc. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks