Fox's Disappointing Halloween Promotion

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Nick Graham, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

According to DVD File, Fox has acquired the rights to "Ginger Snaps", rights formerly held by Artisan. And comments edited by owner (that's a bit harsh..but is it unfair?), I bet they'll release it in OAR, which means I will finally get to see this flick (I wasn't gonna buy the Canuck version blind).

It looks like it will be featureless, but hopefully Fox will see the popularity of this title and give it some extras. Either way, it's gonna retail for 9.99!

2. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

With the $9.99 price, I'll bet it's the same crappy Artisan disc with the "Fox" name on it.

3. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

From DVDFile.com...

"Geared towards the slightly older crowd is a big batch of budget-priced new horror releases, including Creepy Crawlers, Blood Moon, Severed, Lying in Wait, Blind Terror, Final Stab, Island of the Dead, Hellion, Frightmare, Do You Want to Know a Secret?, Reign In Darkness sand two titles Fox will be re-releasing that Artisan used to control, The Calling and the acclaimed Canadian cult hit Ginger Snaps. Each is priced at a super-cheap $9.95 each, although all are featureless and exact technical specs have yet to be announced. Stay tuned..."

Okay...MGM, Anchor Bay, and Warner Bros. are giving us genre classics like House of Wax, The Haunting, The Thing From Another World, Burnt Offerings, The Brood, Squirm, and The Hills Have Eyes...and Fox is giving us a whole batch of movies that went DIRECT TO VIDEO? None of which were made before the year 2000, I believe.

Ugh. How depressing. [​IMG]

Where is Tales From the Crypt? Where is Cemetery Man? Where is Terror Train?

Fox will be receiving zero candy from the Riarson household this Halloween.

4. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Peter Staddon has stated on record that ALL Fox DVD releases will have an OAR presentation available. I don't see why they would stop now. Fox even makes their kiddie flicks available in OAR, and God bless 'em for it.

5. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I just figured Fox had no more horror titles left...but where IS Tales From The Crypt? I had forgotten about it, but I would snatch it up in a second. I suppose Cemetery Man could have some rights issues, but I figure they could have been cleared by now. You raise a good point, Walt. I'm happy with having Ginger Snaps in OAR, which is an unexpected surprise....but these MIA titles are puzzling.

6. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Yeah this is an awful list of titles, and while I'm picking up most of the MGM, Warner and AB stuff, I won't be buying any of these rather lame Fox titles. Where is all thes classic stuff we've been asking for on here? Where is ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. and THE LOST WORLD? I'd even settle for THE MEPHISTO WALTZ!!!

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

These are budget line discs. That doesn't preclude more noteworthy titles at a higher price point.

8. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

We still need so much horror/sci-fi from Fox: ONE MILLION YEARS B.C., THE NANNY, THE ANNIVERSARY, ALLIGATOR PEOPLE, THE LOST WORLD, CURSE OF THE FLY, DEVILS OF DARKNESS, THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING, HAND OF DEATH, THE OTHER, THE MEPHISTO WALTZ, THE DAY MARS INVADED EARTH, HOUSE OF THE DAMNED, etc.

9. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

10. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

that whole slate sucks, I won't be buying even one title. Where are some good titles such as The Good Son? License To Drive? Max Dugan Returns? Robin Hood: Men In Tights? [​IMG]

11. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Some of those titles mentioned you can find already at Target for under six bucks each...

Terror Train is still on a wish list though...

12. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Snoopy Come Home...

HELL yeah!

[​IMG]

13. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

14. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Boy, does that line-up suck. Sounds like they're choosing to distribute some low-grade crap they don't have to do any work on rather than raid their own vaults for titles we'd actually be interested in. Very disappointing, Fox.

15. Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz Stunt Coordinator

And my favorite Fox horror film of all, "The Innocents". Painful that it's still missing.

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I would bet Fox was awarded a DISTRIBUTION contract. They have no control over disc content

17. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

Ugh. That line-up sounds like something you'd find on one of those Brentwood ten-packs.

It's disappointing that they're futzing around with previously released things like Ginger Snaps but ignore Cemetery Man.

And, if anyone is interested in getting the Canadian Ginger Snaps SE, go for it. It's a really great disc, and, by all accounts, superior to the American version in every way.

18. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I agree with Darrell...where is THE INNOCENTS, one of the finest ghost stories of all time? Shameful line-up. Hopefully Universal can make up for this by releasing their Hammer hold-outs and a few classics not included in the first and second waves.

19. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Yes, how could I forget about THE INNOCENTS!!! C'mon Fox!!!

20. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit