What's new

Fox's "Betty Grable Collection" on June 13th (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I got from a VERY good source today, that after the Grable box, another musical batch is planned to include Gangs all Here, Hello frisco Hello and The best Things in Life are free.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Joe, if you source is really reliable, then I think Fox really started to have an agressive slate of releases of its classic catalog. And this is just what I was wainting for!
Frisco, Gang's and Best Things in life...what a selection.

Let's hope for more Faye after that (specially That Night in Rio, Tin Pan Alley, Rose of Washington Square and Lilian Russell).

And, of course, tons of Grable!!

Please Fox, take a look on Margie, Centennial Summer and Three Little Girls in Blue! 3 wonderful choices for the Marquee Musicals series.

Mark Fontana

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Yet another vote for TIN PAN ALLEY. Wasn't this the only musical in which Alice Faye and Betty Grable appeared together?

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Yes Mark, the only one the two Fox's Blonde Queens starred together (they both appeared in Four Jills in a Jeep, but only in solo special numbers).
Tin Pan Alley is more of a Faye's vehicle than Grable's, but it's great to see them singing and dancing the "Sheik of Araby" number.
Plus, the movie has a lot of good songs, specially "You say the sweetest things".
Let's wait and see whatelse Fox can give us.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Oh Joe, please let this rumour be correct.
2 of my most wanted titles ever.
HELLO FRISCO HELLO and THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE.
Please, please, please.

Now if only Fox's Cinemascope Musical revue NEW FACES could be considered, then a good portion of my Musical want list would be completed.

Gees, I'm still shaking.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Over at Talkin' Broadway the Betty Grable Collection Vol 1 has been announced for June 13th and will contain the titles listed elsewhere, with one exception,

THE DOLLY SISTERS
MOON OVER MIAMI
MY BLUE HEAVEN
DOWN ARGENTINE WAY
PLUS....
I WAKE UP SCREAMING
(Another very strange choice from those in charge at Fox )
This title, although quite an entertaining Drama/Comedy would be placed close to last by most Betty Grable Fans.
I just hope we don't miss out on one of her better titles at the expense of this one.

Amazon has the set listed for $44-99

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Amazon has the Box Set plus the singles MY BLUE HEAVEN & MOON OVER MIAMI down for June 13th, with the other titles on June 6th.
Seems strange that they are split over 2 weeks.

I might pre-order the box set and hope it gets an earlier than june 13 release.

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't the great Harry James band provide the musical accompaniment to a few of the movies featuring Betty Grable? I believe she was even married to him at one time. Big band buffs might find all that interesting and enticing enough to warrant a few purchases.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Robert,
it looks as if I'm the strange one here.
Talkin' Broadway has got Amazon's release dates all wrong.
Next time I'll check it out properly.

Sorry about that chief.:b

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Will these be releases of just the films, or will Fox be including trailers, outtakes, etc?

And any word about one of Betty Grable's earliest Fox musicals, Pigskin Parade , which of course also co-starred Judy Garland in her feature film debut?

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I guess all four pictures will be part of the Marquee Musicals series, since each one of them costs US$ 20,00.
So, I guess we have the same treatment as the prior releases in the same banner: lobby cards, theatrical traillers and, who knows, deleted scenes.
I expect Fox to have done some kind of restoration job with those four...I can't stand another blurry image as presented in the Pin Up Girls dvd.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Well said Rafael, I'm glad to see that someone else thinks that PIN UP GIRL is a blurry and poorly mastered mess.

I'm not sure what to make of Fox's long time inconsistency.
Warner's seem to get it right most of the time.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Down Argentine Way was just released here in Brazil. The transfer is awesome. The colors pop up the screen, just like in the Weekend in Havana dvd. It seems that Fox is really paying some attention to its Technicolors dvds. Can't wait for the June releases.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Great to see that DOWN ARGENTINE WAY contains the excellent Betty Grable Documentary "BEHIND THE PIN UP"

I only watched and recorded it last week on the Biography Channel here in Australia.
Must say that it bought a tear or two to my eyes.
She was a true legend.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I don't want to sound ungrateful, but this is another 4 film $60 MSRP set of classic films from Fox. I hope this doesn't become a trend with them as it can't help sales. Warners will put 5 or even 6 classic films in a set with a similar MSRP. For example Film Noir 3 (5 films) is $50 and Tough Guys (6 films with many bonus features) is $67.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks