What's new

Fox's "Betty Grable Collection" on June 13th (1 Viewer)

JohnPM

Second Unit
There's an announcement over at DVD Planet. The retail is $59.95, so it's bound to contain multiple titles. Anybody know what they are?

Link deleted by moderator. See HTF Rule 7.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
oh please let it be true!

if this is accurate, and I Wake Up Screaming is indeed on tap for the next Noir wave, this could finally be THE year for this gal.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Well,
Down Argentine Way, Moon Over Miami, Dolly Sisters and My Blue Heaven are all on pre sale on dvdplanet. So, I guess they're the titles that are in the collection.
Note that this is the Betty Grable Collection Vol. 1.You can only imagine other volumes are coming right after that.

Yessssss!!!! Down Argentine Way and Moon Over Miami!!!!Finally. Best news of the month!!!!!

And for those who were waiting for so long( not my case): On the same day Fox will be releasing Valley of Dolls and Beyond Valley of Dolls.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i've never seen Dolly Sisters or My Blue Heaven. are these worth getting the boxset for?
MOM and DAW are must buys in any case.
Hopefully they will use the original one sheet art on the cases as they are doing for the noir, musicals, and studio classics.

and yeah, that is going to be an expensive day for me.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Yes! Yes!
If true, then my wallet is ready.

Volume 2 would be terrific if it contained,
THAT LADY IN ERMINE
THE SHOCKING MISS PIGRIM
CONEY ISLAND
MOTHER WORE TIGHTS
and TIN PAN ALLEY.

I hope that the quality of the DVDs announced at Planet are better than the recent, very ugly looking PIN UP GIRL disc, which is not really much improvement on the already lousy looking Laserdisc.
It looks as if the old Laserdisc transfer was used for the DVD.

Corey

Screenwriter
Why My Blue Heaven?? Well i know this is the first volume, but I would've preferred Springtime in the Rockies or Coney Island in the first set.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i would bet Springtime In The Rockies, Song Of The Islands and two others from your list Doug for a second Volume.

i hedged and hedged over buying Pin-up Girl, just because i really didn't want it, but its just about the only Grable game in town at the moment (besides A Yank In The RAF).
I'm glad i saved my money now. (but for people that still may be interested in it, it was on sale for $9.99 at Borders last time i looked- that's $5 cheaper than DDD)

Corey

Screenwriter
Volume 2 would be terrific if it contained,
THAT LADY IN ERMINE
THE SHOCKING MISS PIGRIM
CONEY ISLAND
MOTHER WORE TIGHTS
and TIN PAN ALLEY.
Hopefully in Volume 2, it contains:
-Springtime In the Rockies
-Coney Island
-Mother Wore Tights
-Song of the Islands
-Tin Pan Alley

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Paul, The Dolly Sisters is a great Grable vehicle. Besides, it has June Haver as her sister partner. I have it in both vhs and laserdisc and the quality is very good.

Now, for My Blue Heaven, it is not as much an entertainment as Moon Over Miami (Grable's best), but it has its moments. Great to see the chemistry she had with Dan Dailey, and is delightful to watch a very young Mitzi Gaynor.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I truly hope that these sell really, really well, as it might encourage Fox to also look at the beautiful Alice Faye's classic titles and from a later Musical prospective even Pat Boone.
What a set
APRIL LOVE
BERNADINE
MARDI GRAS
and ALL HANDS ON DECK
would make.

As a one off Fox might consider,
Rita Hayworth's wonderful MY GAL SAL.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
A Pat Boone musical box would be great - especially for April Love.

Dear Fox, Where the hell is CAN CAN

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

This will be interesting to see how many titles it is. The Chan set contains just 4 titles for this price which has raised a few eyebrows.

Whatever the number, Fox looks like they're putting some serious effort into getting large numbers of their classic catalog titles out. Can Jayne Mansfield be far behind?

Charles H

Screenwriter
Fox doesn't have the diverse product that WB, Sony, or Universal has, but it always surprises me with announcements that go far beyond merely portaling their product from old VHS releases. MY BLUE HEAVEN is set against the background of early tv, and it is a somewhat serious (in contrast to the early Grable-Fox films of the 40s) story of a showbiz couple trying to adopt a baby. Hope that they bring out video premieres of THAT LADY IN ERMINE, WHEN MY BABY SMILES AT ME, CONEY ISLAND and its remake WABASH AVENUE, CALL ME MISTER, BILLY ROSE'S DIAMOND HORSESHOE, SWEET ROSIE O'GRADY, THE SHOCKING MISS PILGRIM, MEET ME AFTER THE SHOW, and HOW TO BE VERY, VERY POPULAR.
DVD Planet also announced William A. Wellman's THUNDER BIRDS, a 1942 Technicolor war film. Not even WB has been quite as eclectic in their selections. Whoever thought that we'd see YELLOW SKY, DECISION BEFORE DAWN, IN OLD ARIZONA, FALLEN ANGEL, WHIRLPOOL, THE HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL, YOU'RE IN THE NAVY NOW, BOOMERANG (with restored footage), MYRA BRECKINRIDGE (with Raquel Welch commentary) or LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (with the terrific Daryl Hickman commentary)????

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm sooo excited. WEEKEND IN HAVANA really whetted my appetite for MIAMI and ARGENTINE! Can't wait.

I think Fox DID use the laser transfer for PIN UP GIRL, by the way. I Think it was mentioned on the HAVANA thread that it was a last minute replacement for THE GANG'S ALL HERE.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

the milieu piques my interest, so i may just spring for the box set after all. DVDPlanet is listing 4 discs in the set so i would assume it is the four that are also announced seperately. given a $19.95 msrp per title, a $60 set would seem to make sense.

Hopefully there will be a certain e-tailer 20% off sale occuring at the same time, so it should be possible to pick this set up for around $35.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I agree, The Dolly Sisters is one of her very best films.

Of the 4 films, My Blue Heaven (which I have never seen) is making its a home video debut, right?

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Yes Richard,
My Blue Heaven was never before available in home video.
Great that Fox is making an effort for so many home video premieres.
Let's support this box set, so we can have an Alice Faye Collection too.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"Dear Fox, Where the hell is CAN CAN"

Joe,

I'm waiting for this title too. I would have thought Fox would have released it when they released "Moulin Rogue" but maybe they don't know what it is. It has been released on VHS and Laserdisc a few times, so who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks