What's new

Foxes (1980) Coming to Blu. One of Jodie Foster's Best (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, its cause for celebration when a title I've been hoping for is announced for Blu-ray released. Kino-Lorber has announced the Jan 2015 Blu-ray release for Foxes (1980) which in my opinion is probably one of Jodie Foster's best acting efforts.

Foxes_DVD.jpg

I"ve seen the DVD but unfortunately missed the 1980 theatrical showing (I was on my way to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for USMC overseas duty and missed this one, though I did just catch Little Darlings (1980) with my beautiful blonde then-GF Cheryl.
Foxes gave us a real look into what might be considered a alternate way of life for some teenagers (becoming more commonplace as the 1980s & 1990s wore on).
I have more to say on this but short on time. Will update this a little later but I will say that I thought when I first saw the trailers that this was going to be what became known as teen-sex comedies
(examples, The Wild Life (1984), My Tutor (1983), Zapped (1982)).

as the 1980s progressed. Foxes was far from that. It actually was quite a deep film.

Release Date on Blu: 13 January 2015

Wiki Article on Foxes.

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, I love this movie (even with the unfortunate casting of Scott Baio). Cherie Currie from the Runaways was so cool. I remember the audience gasping when her character said she was just 16 (I think Cherie was actually around 20). Jodie and Sally Kellerman were great together as mother/daughter. But one of my favorite scenes is a small role by a then gawky 13-year old Laura Dern trying to crash the girls' party and her reaction when she was denied :) And of course the classic Donna Summer theme song. Thanks for the news--will look forward to this one!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
TomF said:
But one of my favorite scenes is a small role by a then gawky 13-year old Laura Dern trying to crash the girls' party and her reaction when she was denied :) And of course the classic Donna Summer theme song. Thanks for the news--will look forward to this one!
I missed the Laura Dern part. Will look for it on next viewing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=ss_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=ronspressrelease-20&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=B00OZ8XHFI&asins=B00OZ8XHFI&linkId=GDHS4NPDTFDR6HUP&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true</div> <div>

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yikes!

That image of the four principals just kinda SCREAMS "1980," doesn't it?!

I appreciated it, Ron, because I was having trouble deciding which one was Jodie Foster on the cover art in the OP. I didn't think any of the actresses looked like her.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Is it just me, or are Jodie Foster and Marilyn Kagan the only ones who actually look like teenagers? Kandice Stroh easily looks mid-20s, and Cherie Currie looks like she's been out of high school at least a couple of years.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Well finally got to view my Blu-ray of Foxes (1979, my initial date was a bit off) and this movie definitely screamed late 1970s - early 1980s as mentioned earlier in this thread. But on with some specifics.

Viewed on : Vizio 70" E-series with a Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray Player.
Sound System: Denon AVR-X2000 7.1 Ch 4K Ultra HD Networking Receiver AirPlay

Recommendation: Recommended for the movie story of teen life in the late 1970s which is quite common now but back in 1979 a lot of folks still were locked into the Ozzie & Harriet / Happy Days view of teen family life.

The Movie: Anyone expecting a teen sex comedy would soon be very disappointed as there is almost no nudity in this film save for a couple of fleeting glimpses. Sex is addressed but you won't see much of any real sex scenes.

I honestly did not recognize Randy Quaid in this film, he of course was so much younger playing some sort of hotshot young executive who falls for one of the foxes, 16 year old (16 y/o Madge played by Marilyn Kagan) and even allows for a small party at his house which (predictably now) gets out of control and trashes his nice house.

I did recognize Sally Kellerman looking a little more mature than she did in the Star Trek TOS episode Where No Man Has Gone Before but in my opinion, she did a magnificent role as Jeanie's mom.

Speaking of Jodie Foster, this I believe was one of Jodie's last roles before heading off to college. Oh she would be back in film later on in a big way of course. This film though definitely showed the true beauty Jodie radiates in any film she does.

But the best role-play in this film probably goes to the actress who wasn't even a actress prior to this film, Cherie Currie who was very believable playing the drug-addicted teenager bent on destroying her life but in fairness she did have a very abusive father.

Did anyone who saw this film catch a very young Laura Dern (Debbie, I think the teen girl who first tried to get into the private party the four principals were having). I caught her in the credits.

I don't want to give too much away for those who have not seen this film but are interested in this Blu release. You can read the complete plot in this Wiki Page on Foxes.

Technical Aspects:

PQ: I give this about a 4.0 as I was a bit surprised by the initial grain in this film. Almost looks like they used the same transfer as they did for the earlier DVD. Oh it does improve somewhat as the film goes on but anyone expecting a pristine HD image might be a bit disappointed. Kinda ranks right there with the Blu for another 1979 film Wanda Nevada. Better than the DVD but not by much really. And judging by some of the blu-ray reviews from Amazon buyers, I'm not the only one with this opinion of the PQ.

To be fair though, I haven't viewed the DVD on the big screen, I might just do that later to see if there is any real improvement. My guess at this point, yes there is but again not by much. Just to be clear, the PQ may leave a litle to be desired but not the movie itself.

AQ: Stereo 2.0 soundtrack on this one (DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0) but those with AVRs might want to make some adjustments to bring out the best in the sound.

From Amazon (and blu-ray.com)

· Actors: Jodie Foster, Cherie Currie, Scott Baio, Sally Kellerman, Randy Quaid

· Directors: Adrian Lyne

· Format: Multiple Formats, Blu-ray, Anamorphic, NTSC, Widescreen

· Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0

· Language: English

· Subtitles: English

· Region: Region A/1 (Read more about DVD/Blu-ray formats.)

· Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1

· Number of discs: 1

· Rated: R (Restricted)

· Studio: Kino Lorber

· DVD Release Date: January 13, 2015

· Run Time: 106 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member