Fox: You've restored Charlie Chan, please release!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul Drake, May 4, 2003.

1. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Fox has done a wonderful job restoring all but 1 of the existing Fox Charlie Chan films. (The 1 exception is "The Black Camel"; I don't know why that hasn't been restored yet.)

Given that interest in the character is still high (witness the proposed new film starring Lucy Liu as Chan's granddaughter) and that the films are a big hit everytime they're shown on the Fox Movie Channel (all will be shown again over the summer), I think it would be a wonderful time to release them on DVD.

If Fox doesn't have time to do this themselves, any chance of licensing these out?

Thanks for your consideration!

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I would love to see the Charlie Chan films on DVD too. I'm number one fan.

3. Paul Drake

Jay,

We may be the only Chan fans around these parts. I know that the films still have a big following (there are several quite active message boards on various internet sites all of whom have been pushing Fox to release these films.

At least it looks like the Rathbone Holmes series is coming later this year and into next and more Thin Man movies will come next year.

4. Brad Vautrinot

Brad Vautrinot Stunt Coordinator

I have 12 Charlie Chan movies on LD and never tire of watching them. I would love to see all of them released on DVD.

I feel the same about the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies. I know some of them were release a few years ago on DVD but they were unwatchable - the transfers were so bad.

And, yes, bring out the remaining Thin Man movies.

5. Paul Drake

Brad,

You'll be happy to know that the Rathbone Holmes films that were restored by UCLA are coming starting in September. MPI is releasing two titles per month. No announcements yet on price or extras.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I don't believe those Rathbone Holmes films include "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" nor "The Hound of the Baskervilles" which still remain the property of Fox.

Mark me down as another that would buy the Charlie Chan films. I see that starting in June, Fox Movie Channel will be showing these restored films throughout the summer.

Crawdaddy

7. Paul Drake

Mr. Crawford - you are correct in that the two films you mentioned are Fox films and that UCLA did not restore those.

However, they are included in the MPI series (at least that's what the Scarlet Street website is reporting). Supposedly they were already in good shape and didn't need the restoration work the others did.

I will definitely have my channel set to the Fox Movie Channel this summer.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Also, MPI doesn't have a good reputation when it comes to the quality of their dvd product and I still question whether Fox will allow those two films to be release on dvd by another company.

9. Paul Drake

Now that the Fox Movie Channel has started their "Summer of Chan", I'm going to renew my plea to Fox to release these fine films on DVD.

The restored films I've seen so far look excellent, especially considering their age and the fact that most prior prints were in bad shape.

Unfortunately, still no sign of "The Black Camel" though. Considering that this features Bela Lugosi in a starring role I'm surprised Fox hasn't done anything with it. Dracula was released the same year as this movie. Many Chan fans rank this in their top 5 lists. It's one of the most active films in the collector market.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Chances for any dvd releases is slim to none now.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    FOX, don't abandon the films now!

Ignore the pleas of those who support censorship and let the films be released. Sure, you'll anger some people, but you'll be a hero to film buffs and fans of the Chan films.

Don't let them get to you!

12. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

truly a shame indeed if they were never released

13. Paul Drake

Ken Hanke, a Chan historian/author, and one of the publishers of Scarlet Street magazine has indicated that he had heard via an intermediary who has Fox contacts that they were considering releasing the Fox series on DVD. This conversation of course took place before the current controversy.

Mr. Hanke believes that releases could still occur if the money Fox spent on restoring these fine films was significant and they would like to either recoup the costs or perhaps even profit (gasp) from them.

A week ago I would have said that DVD Chan was dead, now I think it may be at least considered. I say that because (a) there's been a ton of free publicity about Chan and (b)the criticism of Fox's decision has been so overwhelming from many different quarters. Interest in Chan is bound to go up because of this.

Of course, if Mr. Staddon or any other Fox representatives wish to join in and give us the lowdown, that would be most welcome. [​IMG]