Fox: Why not the Widescreen Version of "The Big Trail"?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Crawford, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

It's unfortunate that Fox didn't release the widescreen version of this film since most John Wayne and classic film buffs would have preferred the widescreen version instead of the Academy Ratio version. It's too bad that they didn't restore the 70mm as they've done with the 35mm elements.

So my question to Fox is why didn't you release the widescreen version of "The Big Trail"?

Crawdaddy

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I would have purchased the DVD if it had both versions.

3. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

Since that's my original quote up there I'll chime in. I'd also like to know why both versions weren't on the same disc or why two separate releases weren't made available. Until the Wide is out there I'm happy with my letterboxed copy from cable.

4. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

Count me among those who intended to buy the disc, but, upon discovering it was the flat version only, decided to pass on it. I was really looking forward to a grand, widescreen presentation of this early large format feature. Hopefully Fox will revisit it in the future from its 70mm elements, allowing collectors to then own both the now-available flat and large format, widescreen versions of the film, the latter, of course, anamorphically enhanced.

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

count me in for the widescreen versuion as well

[​IMG]

6. Barrie Maxwell

Barrie Maxwell Stunt Coordinator

The story I received from my Fox contact was that the original negative to the widescreen version has been lost and only an IP exists. It's apparently in less than pristine condition and although it projects OK for presentation on cable (such as Fox's Movie Channel), it is not considered adequate for a decent DVD transfer. Restoration would be needed and it's apparently not a priority at this time.