What's new

Fox - Why haven't you released Volcano (1997) on Blu-ray yet? (1 Viewer)

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I find it odd that this big budget effects film from the late 90s starring Tommy Lee Jones, Anne Heche and Don Cheadle hasn't been released on Blu-ray yet. Worse yet, it's only ever been available in a non-anamorphic letterboxed DVD. It's time for an upgrade.

Fox - You've already released The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, The Day After Tomorrow...

Other studios have released Dante's Peak, Earthquake, Deep Impact, The Perfect Storm, Airport, Hard Rain, Twister, Daylight...

So where is Volcano? It seems like it would be popular with the Wal-Mart & Best Buy crowds.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Yup.....i would really enjoy this one too!!! and as pointed out the DVD is even non-anamorphic! Lots of fun....since I live on the east coast. ...and yes i do shop at Walmart on occasion and dress appropriately.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Saw on its original release. Not in the same league as Dante's Peak (Peak had that truck through the lava howler, but Volcano has a brigade of them), but it'd be good if it came out so the folks who liked the flick can have a good video representation of it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Rick Thompson said:
Saw on its original release. Not in the same league as Dante's Peak (Peak had that truck through the lava howler, but Volcano has a brigade of them), but it'd be good if it came out so the folks who liked the flick can have a good video representation of it.
They came out the same year. Seems like I recall Dante's Peak got out of the gate first and did much better at the box-office.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Yeah, I saw this when it came out too, and just loved it. As a cheesy movie, this one is probably my all time extra-aged cheddar fave. I liked the relentlessness of the plot, the momentum, and the way in which the so-called personal elements of the story were pushed into the background once the emergency got rolling. After all, if you are the LA Director of Emergency Management, that's the way you're supposed to work, and the script respected the work. It has some silly elements (why cant we all just -- get along?) but overall, lots of cheesy fun. BTW, the truck drive through the lava in Dante's Peak bugged me too, as it was perfectly obvious that they take so long the engine would have heat seized way before they made it to the other side. I have the DVD and have watched it numerous times, but it is a non-anamorphic copy, so the quality is way down there in the pixel basement. A BR would be divine.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
The question should be how come you have not released THE BLUE MAX yet?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
They came out the same year. Seems like I recall Dante's Peak got out of the gate first and did much better at the box-office.
"Peak": Feb 7 1997 $67 million US
"Volcano": April 25 1997 $47 million US

So "Peak" did better - not sure I'd say MUCH better, though.

Both are cheese, but I prefer "Volcano" because it's cheese without pretension. "Peak" seems to think it's higher quality than it is... :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Colin Jacobson said:
"Peak": Feb 7 1997 $67 million US"Volcano": April 25 1997 $47 million US So "Peak" did better - not sure I'd say MUCH better, though. Both are cheese, but I prefer "Volcano" because it's cheese without pretension. "Peak" seems to think it's higher quality than it is... :)
IMHO, Peak is a much better film. When I'm in the mood for a cheese sandwich, I watch Volcano instead.

Baywatch Joe

Auditioning
I'm Baywatch Joe. I Know a lots about movies Flims & screen resolution. Volcano is one of my top 1 movie hits of all time. I own Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones 5 copies (vhs1:33.1) (vhs 1:85.1) (dvd 1:85.1) (dvd PAL 2:35.1) & Blu Ray. Volcano is finally here on Blu Ray and it's the truth. I can tell you what to expect, New sound quality 5.1 surround sound 4.5 sound a effects 1:85.1 or 2:40.1 screen resolution. audio & commentary. we like to see behind the scene footage & gag reels. Volcano on Blu Ray comes out october 1,2013. you all can per order your copies on amazon.com for $14.99

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks