FOX - Why do you hate the UK R2 market?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Jan 11, 2002.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Would someone explain why the current Fox policy seems to assume the dollars to UK Stirling exchange rate is 1:1?

The Simpsons has a SRP of $40; in the UK it's RRP is £40

Buffy S1 (we now find) is identically priced.

I am assuming if we get M*A*S*H then it will be a similar tale.

The fact is that $40 is equivalent to £27.70 so to my mind we should expect an RRP of £30.

What's more exasperating is much as I want to support the R2 market and get a smooth versions of my films/TV, R1 imports can be so cheap it's frankly ludicrous.

The Simpsons R1 cost a mere £17.99 from Play247 when it came out. Buffy S1 R1 is only £23.99. Your pricing strategy is undercutting your international output. Is there no way that this can be looked into?

Cheers

Theo

2. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Answer: most UK consumers are ignorant, and will pay £40. Just as a lot of people here hate the euro, not realizing that joining the single currency will actually drive down prices.
    Anyway, R2 is effectively dead for me on film-sourced DVDs while studios do nothing to pitch-correct PAL speedup.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Well, talk to Fox Europe, only the main office, who doesn't control European releases reads this board.

Actually, I've noticed that the new PAL eps of Stargate Sg-1 that are airing on SkyOne that I'm seeing HAVE been pitch shifted I believe. I've A/Bd with NTSC sourced eps, and it seems identical. Earlier seasons WERE chipmunked

Maybe someone finally came out with some software to do it quickly and easily. Or they finally noticed people complain

Jeff Kleist

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Are the European Fox company and the US's "Twentieth Century Fox" really that closely related policy-wise? I don't know.

Anyway, I haven't bought a single R2 DVD (and I own more than 1500 titles)!

Cees

5. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    My biggest gripe about Fox is the way their back catalogue titles are released on R2 up to a year after their R1 counterparts. Examples include, Cleopatra, Die Hard SE, Alien, Patton, Independance Day, The Fly/Return of the Fly, Seven Year Itch. Or else they are not released at all, such as How Green was my Valley and Love is a Many Splendored Thing.

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Well, if Mr. Staddon isn't in charge of worldwide releases yet, he can't change things. It'll take 6 months to a year for those changes to show themselves on your local store shelves, so just be patient. I remember when Fox sucked across the board, and he came in, and in the space of about a year fixed it, and fixed it good. Now Fox has a lot of my money, and I no longer fear their DVDs, instead I trumpet them and salivate in anticipation because I know they're worth what I paid.