What's new

FOX - Why do you hate the UK R2 market? (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Would someone explain why the current Fox policy seems to assume the dollars to UK Stirling exchange rate is 1:1?

The Simpsons has a SRP of $40; in the UK it's RRP is £40

Buffy S1 (we now find) is identically priced.

I am assuming if we get M*A*S*H then it will be a similar tale.

The fact is that $40 is equivalent to £27.70 so to my mind we should expect an RRP of £30.

What's more exasperating is much as I want to support the R2 market and get a smooth versions of my films/TV, R1 imports can be so cheap it's frankly ludicrous.

The Simpsons R1 cost a mere £17.99 from Play247 when it came out. Buffy S1 R1 is only £23.99. Your pricing strategy is undercutting your international output. Is there no way that this can be looked into?

Cheers

Theo

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Answer: most UK consumers are ignorant, and will pay £40. Just as a lot of people here hate the euro, not realizing that joining the single currency will actually drive down prices.
Anyway, R2 is effectively dead for me on film-sourced DVDs while studios do nothing to pitch-correct PAL speedup.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, talk to Fox Europe, only the main office, who doesn't control European releases reads this board.

Actually, I've noticed that the new PAL eps of Stargate Sg-1 that are airing on SkyOne that I'm seeing HAVE been pitch shifted I believe. I've A/Bd with NTSC sourced eps, and it seems identical. Earlier seasons WERE chipmunked

Maybe someone finally came out with some software to do it quickly and easily. Or they finally noticed people complain

Jeff Kleist

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Are the European Fox company and the US's "Twentieth Century Fox" really that closely related policy-wise? I don't know.

Anyway, I haven't bought a single R2 DVD (and I own more than 1500 titles)!

Cees

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My biggest gripe about Fox is the way their back catalogue titles are released on R2 up to a year after their R1 counterparts. Examples include, Cleopatra, Die Hard SE, Alien, Patton, Independance Day, The Fly/Return of the Fly, Seven Year Itch. Or else they are not released at all, such as How Green was my Valley and Love is a Many Splendored Thing.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Well, talk to Fox Europe, only the main office, who doesn't control European releases reads this board.
Didn't Peter Staddon say he was going to be in charge of worldwide releases soon? Maybe you're right but it would be nice to think that someone reads this stuff who can speak to them. This board has an international membership and I would have thought there must be people who check these things out. The UK studios certainly read release comments at www.dvddebate.com and it's that big a site all things considered.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, if Mr. Staddon isn't in charge of worldwide releases yet, he can't change things. It'll take 6 months to a year for those changes to show themselves on your local store shelves, so just be patient. I remember when Fox sucked across the board, and he came in, and in the space of about a year fixed it, and fixed it good. Now Fox has a lot of my money, and I no longer fear their DVDs, instead I trumpet them and salivate in anticipation because I know they're worth what I paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.