What's new

Fox - Where is The Egyptian? (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well, sod it, I caved in & ordered it from ebay. I've loved this movie for ever (I was probably around 8 when I first saw it in the late 50's, on our little b/w telly). And there's 1/ With free p&p it's probably around the the price as ordering from Spain, without the language problems. 2/ The chances of Fox releasing a DVD in the UK seems about nil - they seem to have given up on catalogue releases. 3/ It's cheaper than ordering a Warner Archive disc (with p&p), even if they delivered to Europe, & it's a proper disc! I can't wait to see this on my 42" Plasma, in stereo!

M1uffy

Grip
Real Name
Cornelia
And there's 1/ With free p&p it's probably around the the price as ordering from Spain, without the language problems.
Oh, they have the site in English as well. I'm completely sure I posted the links to the English site, but they lead to the Spanish one now, sorry. :frowning: Pretty strange...

In any case, if you just go to Comprar pelculas DVDs en DVDgo, Venta tienda online: Estrenos, Ofertas, Novedades, Series TV, you can choose the language down to the right. The search works with the original titles as well.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I'm wondering if someone who owns this Spanish edition could post the UPC (ALL the numbers under the barcode). I want to add it to my DVD Profiler wishlist, but it isn't in the database.

Thanks!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well it arrived this morning, alas no booklet, but I'm not going to complain (life is too short!) & anyway the film's the thing, & it looks & sounds great - a big title crossed off the wants list. There's a leaflet in the box telling of other releases, & it looks like they have a deal with Fox, as there's "Rio Conchos" & "The Rains Of Ranchipur" (Las Lluvias De Ranchipur) coming, or already released (I can't read Spanish). I think I'll order direct next time. Happy days.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, I love that western & had given up on it ever being released. Fox should have released it on a double bill with "The Comancheros" as it's two very different takes on what is basically the same story. Licensing out titles that they haven't bothered to release in their own country, what are Fox playing at!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I thought it was kind of sad in The Robe restoration chat with Schawn Belston from Fox. He is the head restorationist at Fox, and he nominated Nicholas Ray's Bigger than Life as his favourite CinemaScope film, yet Fox haven't even released it in R1.

I have the R2 French version which is very good quality. So it seems it has all been preserved, but Fox Home Video just don't figure it will make any money.

Fox could do a great box of CinemaScope melodramas, with Bigger than Life, Blue Denim, Bottom of the Bottle, A Hatful of Rain, Prince of Players etc

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Every transfer I have seen of Bigger Than LIfe has been mono.
Maybe Fox is waiting till they find the stereo track for the film.

Sadly, that guy who recorded a commentary track for the Egyptian also seems to have recorded a commentary track for the Wayward Bus; s film that hasn't been seen in years.

And I was really hoping Fox would finish the Tyrone Power series, which would surely have included Untamed (scope and stereo , 1955) a film that has never been shown widescreen on vid or broadcast.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't seen THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE on the Fox Movie Channel in Cinemascope either. (Was the laserdisc in widescreen? I never owned it.)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
You never owned the laser of Best things in life are Free because there wasn't one.

Other early Fox scope films never shown in scope are April Love, View from Pompeys Head, A Certain Smile, Prince of Players, Blue denim, woman Obsessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks