What's new

FOX: What is wrong with this picture (1 Viewer)

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
Tyrone Power was a HUGE star at 20th Century Fox. However, the only films of his on DVD (except Yank in the RAF, which comes out next week) are those where he was lent out to other studios, such as Columbia.

There are dozens of marvelous and historically important films of his in your vault that have yet to see the light of day.

I appreciate Yank in the RAF and have ordered it, but my visa card has lots of room on it for more and more and more.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm a very big Power fan & it is a crying shame his filmography is so poorly represented on DVD. Come on FOX give us some of these Power films! And perhaps some Clifton Webb films too.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The following is a list of Tyrone Power films I'd LOVE to see on DVD:

1. In Old Chicago

2. Marie Antoninette

3. Alexander's Ragtime Band

4. Jesse James

5. The Rains Came

6. Johnny Appollo

7. The Razor's Edge

8. Nightmare Alley

And last but not least the one Power film that is my ALL TIME favorite--The Mark of Zorro.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
If Fox released these Tyrone Power films on DVD, I'd certainly buy them:
THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940)
THE BLACK SWAN (1942)
NIGHTMARE ALLEY (1946)
CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE (1947)
AN AMERICAN GUERILLA IN THE PHILIPPINES (1950)
THE BLACK ROSE (1950)
RAWHIDE (1951)
By the way, thanks much for NIAGARA, THE DESERT RATS and (this summer) both FLINT films on DVD, Peter Staddon.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Let me third the request for Nightmare Alley, Power's personal favorite and best of all of his performances, never available in any home video format.
The Mark of Zorro and The Black Swan (oh, the Technicolor!) are absolute must-haves, as well.

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
The following are my most wanted Tyrone Power titles on DVD, in chronological order:

·LLOYD’S OF LONDON (1936)

·IN OLD CHICAGO (1937)

·JESSE JAMES (1939)

·THE RAINS CAME (1939)

·THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940)

·THE BLACK SWAN (1942)

·THE RAZOR’S EDGE (1946)

·NIGHTMARE ALLEY (1947)

·RAWHIDE (1951)

·THE SUN ALSO RISES (1957)

Although I wouldn’t know what sort of supplements could be added to these films if ever they were to be given a DVD release, I think that we should be getting more than just an original theatrical trailer as an extra. Unfortunately, this is just what the overwhelming majority of the studios’ catalog titles released on DVD have had to offer: in Fox’s case, even such historically and artistically important films as HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, GENTLEMEN’S AGREEMENT, TWELVE O’ CLOCK HIGH, ALL ABOUT EVE, etc.

Granted that the print/transfer quality of the film is the most important element in a DVD release; however, due to the enormous amount of titles involved, many of those released just lie by the wayside because of an “indifferent” presentation on disc. It would be wiser I think if the classics which stand out most would be given some sort of Special Edition (is it so hard to find a dedicated film historian ready to dig up some information about the making/legacy of an acknowleged film classic?), while the rest should be packaged in pairs as double-features, making their chances of breaking even financially all the more possible.

To get back to Tyrone Power, I wouldn’t mind a DVD release of ALEXANDER’S RAGTIME BAND (1938), SUEZ (1938), ROSE OF WASHINGTON SQUARE (1939), BRIGHAM YOUNG – FRONTIERSMAN (1940), BLOOD AND SAND (1941), SON OF FURY (1942), PRINCE OF FOXES (1949) and THE BLACK ROSE (1950), either.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
The Mark of Zorro is one of my all time favorites; needless to say, it will be an instant buy when it finally comes out.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Please, oh please release Prince of Foxes with a NEW MASTER. For years this has been shown on AMC with a master made from 16mm and with really lousy sound. We need a good copy of this film NOW. How about Untamed with Tyrone pOwer and Susan Haywars in letterbox stereo?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Add me to the list that want these classic Power films.
#1 on my list has to be Mark of Zorro. Ranks right up there with Adventures of Robin Hood IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks