What's new

FOX & WARNER BROS. -- TIME TO STEP UP TO THE BLU-RAY PLATE WITH YOUR HARRYHAUSEN TITLES! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It appears as though we'll probably get the remaining Columbia Harryhausen titles from Twilight Time (speculation). Once FIRST MEN IN THE MOON and THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER are out, that will leave only:ONE MILLION YEARS, B.C. (FOX)
MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (Warner Bros)
BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (Warner Bros)
VALLEY OF GWANGI (Warner Bros)

Please let's close the gaps... there are plenty of fans out here!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
You know, I really wish that Warners would cut some sort of deal with Twilight Time or an entity of that sort somewhere. They are SO negligent of their classics when it come to blu-ray releases. I'd jump at the chance to purchase all the films on that list. WB would certainly profit from getting them out there and make a larger number of fans really happy, too. Sad that their Archives BD program turned out to be such a dud. But, Fox, they are doing some interesting things at the moment.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Dick said:
It appears as though we'll probably get the remaining Columbia Harryhausen titles from Twilight Time (speculation). Once FIRST MEN IN THE MOON and THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER are out, that will leave only:ONE MILLION YEARS, B.C. (FOX)
MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (Warner Bros)
BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (Warner Bros)
VALLEY OF GWANGI (Warner Bros)

Please let's close the gaps... there are plenty of fans out here!
I would love to have every one of those titles you named.
Ed Lachmann said:
You know, I really wish that Warners would cut some sort of deal with Twilight Time or an entity of that sort somewhere. They are SO negligent of their classics when it come to blu-ray releases. I'd jump at the chance to purchase all the films on that list. WB would certainly profit from getting them out there and make a larger number of fans really happy, too. Sad that their Archives BD program turned out to be such a dud. But, Fox, they are doing some interesting things at the moment.
I will not support the TT business model. Hate it…hate it….hate it. Therefor I will develop a split personality if these titles come out on TT and my evil half will buy them. My good half will discover them in my library and watch them.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I'd like to see the fairytale shorts Ray did early in his career get a BD release too. I missed out on The Early Years Collection DVD.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
One Million B.C. is another contender for TT. I'm guessing Fox might not have a quality High Def transfer of this title yet?

Mighty Joe Young is an RKO title so that one might be more difficult to manage given how troublesome those elements are. How many WB-owned RKO titles have even made it to blu-ray? I can only think of King Kong and Citizen Kane, both derived from high quality OCNs--exceptional circumstances for the RKO library. Still, it's higher profile than the others so it might happen eventually.

WB did deliver on Clash of the Titans, so they're not completely asleep at the wheel. The other two are comparatively low profile. Perhaps one might end up on the Warner Archive blu-ray line. In a recent podcast, they promised 2014 will deliver more blu-ray releases through the WAC. Perhaps a Harryhausen title is in the cards?

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Johnny Angell said:
I will not support the TT business model. Hate it…hate it….hate it. Therefor I will develop a split personality if these titles come out on TT and my evil half will buy them. My good half will discover them in my library and watch them.
Agreed. Hate it. And will probably end up buying First Men anyhow. Sigh.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
Well if Sony goes the TT model with "First Men in the Moon", I will not be purchasing it. Sony, you
really disappoint when it comes to your catalogue releasese. If Warner's releases "Valley of Gwangi"
on their WAC, I will purchase it. At least they are not trying to gouge you pricewise.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Terry Hickey said:
Well if Sony goes the TT model with "First Men in the Moon", I will not be purchasing it. Sony, you
really disappoint when it comes to your catalogue releasese. If Warner's releases "Valley of Gwangi"
on their WAC, I will purchase it. At least they are not trying to gouge you pricewise.
I am getting increasingly annoyed about the situation with TT getting these titles, price hiking being the biggest bugbear. I listened to a couple of the interviews with the co-owner etc and when the actual back slapping and mutual appreciation and the hearty ahem! laughter is got out the way there is no real explanation given as to why this is the situation with them.
I am seeing a greater number of independents giving us fantastic releases at reasonable prices, so the fact that TT is carrying on with this business model is beyond me........come on lads. Put some realistic prices out there or if you are going to charge these prices at least give us some extras and a decent restoration.
If Arrow can you can. :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
tele1962 said:
I am getting increasingly annoyed about the situation with TT getting these titles, price hiking being the biggest bugbear. I listened to a couple of the interviews with the co-owner etc and when the actual back slapping and mutual appreciation and the hearty ahem! laughter is got out the way there is no real explanation given as to why this is the situation with them.
The situation has been explained several times. Many of us are bored with the constant rehashing of the same subject.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robin9 said:
The situation has been explained several times. Many of us are bored with the constant rehashing of the same subject.
Sorry no it hasn't to be honest. If you find it boring simply ignore it.

I am now in the situation of not being able to obtain these titles on Blu Ray just because of the sheer cost and importing into the UK............do you think that is right and as you rightly say it has been discussed (not explained) many times before which is very telling in it's self.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
tele1962 said:
Sorry no it hasn't to be honest . . . . and as you rightly say it has been discussed many times before
Please make up your mind.

Several regular HTF posters who live in Europe buy Twilight Time BRDs.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Robin9 said:
Please make up your mind.

Several regular HTF posters who live in Europe buy Twilight Time BRDs.
Yes they do but I am willing to bet that a more realistic price would be more appreciated.............and obviously in there cases they can afford it.

I recently received my copy of Cinema Paradiso from Arrow, stunning restorations, both cuts of film, extras to many to mention for £12.99 (around $8).

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
tele1962 said:
Sorry no it hasn't to be honest. If you find it boring simply ignore it.

I am now in the situation of not being able to obtain these titles on Blu Ray just because of the sheer cost and importing into the UK............do you think that is right and as you rightly say it has been discussed (not explained) many times before which is very telling in it's self.
I don't want to have a go at the people running TT who I respect but I agree that the cost of importing TT releases into the UK is (for me) out of all proportion. My small collection of four is likely to remain that considering that my last purchase with mail charges and foreign currency conversion totalled £25 ($41.40). Then there is always the possibility of Customs charging an extra 20% on top of that (fortunately not on my last one). So I do get a bit irritated by the implication that we should be grateful that the films are being released at all, irrespective of the cost when it's clear that other labels offer similar product at more realistic prices and with many extras.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Shipping costs are up and heading even higher in '14...for everyone...everywhere. Here in Canada, we can no longer get any insurance on small packets going Internationally unless we upgrade to International Tracked Packet, which ranges from $16+ to the U.S. and a whopping $50+ to those handful of countries overseas where this service is even offered. On incoming orders (technically over $20, but practically about $100 depending on your luck with border agents) Canucks also face our 5% GST plus other brokerage fees. The U.K. is an even worse case because on top of their higher carrier hit, the British government levies a 20% VAT on the combined cost of the item plus those already higher shipping costs. Apparently, not much better scenario for goods entering Germany or France these days either.

In the arena of global shipping and import taxes, the routine ease of 'Net search and acquisition continues to collide with real world carrier and import costs, with no signs of abate...and for many, clearly already past the tipping point as expressed via frustration here and elsewhere. And yet, with this expanding product awareness globally, consumer expectations seem to be heading in the dead opposite direction - many fans and collectors coming to believe that their ability to order anything they want from anywhere it happens to be available should be their charter right simply by virtue of having an IP address...divorced from their country's specific policies regarding import taxation. Of course this isn't fair - it never was fair - but that's certainly not the fault of the International labels and distributors just trying to make a go of it in their domestic market. But until punitive local import policies change, logically coming from within those countries, cheap and easy mail order from afar will always favour those who live in countries with more lenient import policies. For American and even Aussie customers (who I believe both have a fairly generous $200 ceiling before taxes and duties kick in) this will be much less expensive and troublesome than for British, French or German consumers with a $20 limit (last I heard) before they face an outrageous tax hit upon arrival...in some cases almost doubling their original purchase price.

So in this brave new world of open global buying coupled with increasing local penalties over doing so, I think TT's Nick Redman had the right idea in his comments (IIRC about The Fury) when he suggested greater communication and collaboration among cottage catalogue producers worldwide so that these individual players can share the best quality transfers and perhaps even some features, while spreading around the acquisition/production costs. His comments read like an admission that the increasing high cost of importing goods will continue to dog the relatively small home video labels (although collectively more formidable), who, unlike the major studios, do not have local manufacturing and distribution points around the world which they can leverage for reduction of overall product cost.

If I understand Redman's meta-point correctly, forging more alliances and co-productions for delivery of the best quality product and highest value to consumers - wherever they happen to live - seems like the way of the future for catalogue Blu-ray. Current tribal chants of "our transfer is better than your transfer, Nyah, Nyah." simply do nothing in the larger picture for the sustainable health of the Blu-ray catalogue market worldwide. Limited, niche runs by multiple local labels in different countries, all sharing the best possible extant HD elements and workflow just seems more logical to me. At least I think that's what Mr. Redman was suggesting; I certainly hope that's what he meant.

I mean, what's that old adage about the 'Net..."Think globally, but act locally"? There are some hard realities making that truer than ever for the niche Blu-ray catalogue market worldwide. Given the numbers, we're just naturally stronger together.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
If I understand Redman's meta-point correctly, forging more alliances and co-productions for delivery of the best quality product and highest value to consumers - wherever they happen to live - seems like the way of the future for catalogue Blu-ray. Current tribal rants of "our transfer is better than your transfer, Nyah, Nyah." simply do nothing in the larger picture for the sustainable health of the Blu-ray catalogue market. Limited, niche runs by multiple local labels in different countries, all sharing the best possible extant HD elements and workflow just seems more logical to me. At least I think that's what Mr. Redman was suggesting; I certainly hope that's what he meant.
Whilst I agree in part about what you are saying, some of these labels are in fact already sharing transfers etc, but all I am seeing in TT's case is a extortionate price hike for material other niche labels are turning out for a faction of the cost in unlimited runs and available to all.
For me if all the others can do it why cant TT or is it the case of create limited availability for maximum quick profit?

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
ROclockCK said:
Shipping costs are up and heading even higher in '14...for everyone...everywhere. Here in Canada, we can no longer get any insurance on small packets going Internationally unless we upgrade to International Tracked Packet, which ranges from $16+ to the U.S. and a whopping $50+ to those handful of countries overseas where this service is even offered. On incoming orders (technically over $20, but practically about $100 depending on your luck with border agents) Canucks also face our 5% GST plus other brokerage fees. The U.K. is an even worse case because on top of their higher carrier hit, the British government levies a 20% VAT on the combined cost of the item plus those already higher shipping costs. Apparently, not much better scenario for goods entering Germany or France these days either.

In the arena of global shipping and import taxes, the routine ease of 'Net search and acquisition continues to collide with real world carrier and import costs, with no signs of abate...and for many, clearly already past the tipping point as expressed via frustration here and elsewhere. And yet, with this expanding product awareness globally, consumer expectations seem to be heading in the dead opposite direction - many fans and collectors coming to believe that their ability to order anything they want from anywhere it happens to be available should be their charter right simply by virtue of having an IP address...divorced from their country's specific policies regarding import taxation. Of course this isn't fair - it never was fair - but that's certainly not the fault of the International labels and distributors just trying to make a go of it in their domestic market. But until punitive local import policies change, logically coming from within those countries, cheap and easy mail order from afar will always favour those who live in countries with more lenient import policies. For American and even Aussie customers (who I believe both have a fairly generous $200 ceiling before taxes and duties kick in) this will be much less expensive and troublesome than for British, French or German consumers with a $20 limit (last I heard) before they face an outrageous tax hit upon arrival...in some cases almost doubling their original purchase price.

So in this brave new world of open global buying coupled with increasing local penalties over doing so, I think TT's Nick Redman had the right idea in his comments (IIRC about The Fury) when he suggested greater communication and collaboration among cottage catalogue producers worldwide so that these individual players can share the best quality transfers and perhaps even some features, while spreading around the acquisition/production costs. His comments read like an admission that the increasing high cost of importing goods will continue to dog the relatively small home video labels (although collectively more formidable), who, unlike the major studios, do not have local manufacturing and distribution points around the world which they can leverage for reduction of overall product cost.

If I understand Redman's meta-point correctly, forging more alliances and co-productions for delivery of the best quality product and highest value to consumers - wherever they happen to live - seems like the way of the future for catalogue Blu-ray. Current tribal chants of "our transfer is better than your transfer, Nyah, Nyah." simply do nothing in the larger picture for the sustainable health of the Blu-ray catalogue market worldwide. Limited, niche runs by multiple local labels in different countries, all sharing the best possible extant HD elements and workflow just seems more logical to me. At least I think that's what Mr. Redman was suggesting; I certainly hope that's what he meant.

I mean, what's that old adage about the 'Net..."Think globally, but act locally"? There are some hard realities making that truer than ever for the niche Blu-ray catalogue market worldwide. Given the numbers, we're just naturally stronger together.
As always, you're ahead of the bell curve, Rock…!

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Twilight Time said:
As always, you're ahead of the bell curve, Rock…!
Great to see you posting, TT.
But I still do not understand your pricing policy compared to 99% of all other labels?

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Douglas R said:
Then there is always the possibility of Customs charging an extra 20% on top of that (fortunately not on my last one).
Nor should it ever happen*, because like many small internet stores that ship worldwide (DiabolikDVD and Flicker Alley's online store are two others), SAE purposefully declare below the true value on the customs label for international shipping (if they didn't, their UK customer base would dry up pretty quicky; a TT Blu-ray would jump from £25 to £38 ($63!) if it got hit by customs because RM like to extort an £8 handling fee as well).

*unless you order more than 4 items in one shipment. SAE declare $5 per item in the package, so 4 items or less will always get through fine. They've even been kind enough to exclude the promotional 5th item (autographed copies) on some of my orders when requested, since technically it doesn't have a "value".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks