What's new

Fox War Classics (1 Viewer)

Matt_P

Second Unit
Greetings, all.
I was wondering if anyone has any details concerning what will be contained on the "Fox War Classics" re-issues/re-packagings of Patton and The Thin Red Line (along with several other titles), which are to be released on 11/6 at a retail of $19.95. According to Amazon, Patton is only one disc. Does this mean that half of the special features will be discontinued? Is this a misprint? Is the disc to be a DVD-18? Also, the stats for The Thin Red Line lists a theatrical trailer. Is this true?
Any info on this "Fox War Classics" line would be much appreciated. Thanks.
------------------
9/11/01 -- IN MEMORIUM
"We will previal." -- President George W. Bush

YANG

Screenwriter
Beside PATTON and THIN RED LINE,the other movies that comes with these two will be making their first debut in digital softwares.Which are not currently available.
All the disc's cover artwork will have a FOX WAR CLASSICS banner,the discs will be identical to the current release,with DD track only.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
According to Amazon, Patton is only one disc. Does this mean that half of the special features will be discontinued? Is this a misprint? Is the disc to be a DVD-18?
I was about to pick up the old copy of Patton when I wandered across this thread. Should I get the old one or the new one?
------------------
twokpost.jpg

Waiting for the SE...
My DVD Collection

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Nathan,
I would be willing to wager on a 99% probability that Amazon is wrong, that it is a misprint.
I would guess what you are calling the old version has the movie on the first disc in anamorphic widescreen (although not listed as such) along with a "commentary" that is not screen-specific and only runs about an hour, but is quite interesting. The second disc has a 55 min. documentary on the making-of that is quite good. Also, the isolated score is available as a alternate audio track on the doc, not the movie.
The answer to your question is that these new "War Classics" discs are not new discs only new packaging. I would recommend the disc, especially at that price.
-Chad

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Hold up one minute Nathan...
This just in from DVDfile
Also announced a few weeks back, the new "Fox War Classics" repromotion of Patton due on 11/6 will actually not be a simple reissue of the previous two-disc set. This new version will only be the first disc, and does not include the full-length documentary and other extras on the second disc. However, note that the original two-disc version of Patton will still be available, so consumers can take their pick. Retail for this new single-disc release will be $19.95, versus $24.95 for the two-disc set.

I stand corrected about the misprint.
Based on this news I would recommend getting the 2-disc set, the documentary is very good. Definitely worth the couple extra dollars.
-Chad

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Even though the new "War Classics" version is anamorphic?
The current 2-disc Patton is also anamorphic. It was a surprise to everyone when it was released 2 years ago (back when Fox had a severely tarnished DVD reputation), but it is indeed an outstanding anamorphic transfer.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

YANG

Screenwriter
"Will the new release of The Thin Red Line have the theatrical trailer?"
No,the re-release will not have the latest DTS soundtrack as well...Most probably,the re-release will be the same as the first edition with same contents.Anamorphic transfer + the Melenesian song as extras.DD5.1 surround only...

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I have been really confused by this as well. I've been thinking of replacing my "Thin Red Line" with the DTS version. If you go to DeepDiscountDVD and pick the DTS version, they have a pic of the Fox War Classics cover. Amazon has the DTS cover but they list it as not released until Nov 6, 2001.
How the heck does one get the DTS version now and will it still be made? I'm reluctant to order and get the wrong item.
[Edited last by Patrick Larkin on October 30, 2001 at 02:59 PM]

Matt_P

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies so far.
I was really curious whether the new Thin Red Line release would have the theatrical trailer. Apparantly, it will not. Bah.
Does anyone know where I can download the full theatrical trailer for The Thin Red Line (the one with the melanesian song at the end with a sort of "slide show" of the cast)? It's simply one of the best trailers I have ever seen, and seemingly impossible to find online in QuickTime format. The one trailer I want on DVD is not available.....hmmm......
Thanks.
------------------
9/11/01 -- IN MEMORIUM
"We will previal." -- President George W. Bush

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks