Fox War Classics - The Blue Max - Released May 20

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brent Avery, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Just wanted to post the fact that Fox Studios has this title slated for release on May 20, along with some others, the only other one I recall at the moment is Sink The Bismarck.I seem to also recall that the film elements were in need of some restoration, to the degree that it would not be on dvd for awhile, so this was a surprise. I noticed it was retailing for just over $12.00 cdn., which means it most likely may have a trailer if that.Anybody know if it is anamorphic and at least in stereo? ( assuming it was recorded that way ). I have not noticed anyone mention this movie's scheduled release so hopefully I am not repeating what my have already been announced. I guess this means my laserdisc version will collect dust. It looks as though May is going to be a great month for war movie fans and I am very pleased that a very decent selection will finally be on dvd. Thankyou very much Fox and MGM!! ( and anyone else I did not mention ).

2. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    So far these have been very good, equal to the Studio Classics in the war genre, though not lavished with so much restoration attention IMO. I picked up Twelve O'Clock High the other week...one of several I've got. Looking forward to The Blue Max, most of these films I hadn't seen since I was a kid. Love the real battle footage in TOCH. At Future Shop these often go for Cdn$10.50 if you buy two of them, pretty hard to beat.

3. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

Brent, you ask if Blue Max will be stereo (assuming it was recorded that way). You KNOW it ws streo because you mention you have the laser. Early specks say the dvd is 2.0 NOT the original 4.0 Again, FOX - why are we not getting the original sound????
    Hope they did much restoration on this film, because it really needs it - the laser looked bad.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Don't trust early specs - it may yet be 4.0. Don't even trust the packaging - Journey to the Center of the Earth's package says it's Dolby Surround, but it's really DD 4.0.

5. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

6. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

I was over at Chace Productions when they transferred the sound for the Laserdisc and there was plenty of surround on it. Likewise when I saw this in the cinema in Syracuse, New York in 70mm there was a LOT of surround.
    Ted D -where does your information come that it had no surround?

7. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

From running a 35mm mag print at the Waikiki theater in Honolulu. As I remember, it even came with a information sheet that stated that there was no signal on track # 4.

Ted

8. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

Peter Apruzzese wrote:
    Don't trust early specs - it may yet be 4.0. Don't even trust the packaging - Journey to the Center of the Earth's package says it's Dolby Surround, but it's really DD 4.0.

Has anybody purchased "Blue Max" and "Sink the Bismarck" yet and can can hopefully confirm that the 2.0 audio spec is a mistake.

9. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

10. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

big Question - how is the color - the laser looked terrible. The blue layer was gone. You have all those outdooor shots and everything looked lousy. How is the color on the new dvd?

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I believe Fox's Peter Staddon mentioned somewhere that The Blue Max was either being cleaned up digitally or that the elements themselves were being restored.

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

This is a VERY blue disc. Even the skin tones are bluish at times. They may have overcorrected.

13. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

Douglas R. wrote:
    Just got THE BLUE MAX and I'm pleased to confirm that it IS 4.0 with quite extensive surrounds.

Thanks Douglas, I have ordered "Blue Max" based on your comment. Hopefully "Bismarck" will be 4.0 also.

14. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Can anyone confirm if the DVD has the roadshow intermission and entracte that were on the laser disc?

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

About the bluish tint Mark reports:

I post with the disadvantage of not having yet seen the disc (won't arrive until Monday, along with several others). But I saw the film the first week of its release in 1966. Even then, I attributed its pronounced blue-green tint to the DeLuxe Color process. Subsequent prints have exhibited this same blue/green cast. In other words, what you're seeing is probably accurate to the cinematic experience.

The whole effect draws me into the film. Can't wait for the disc! (I'm certain I will look at it before I do Star Trek: Nemesis. [​IMG])

16. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

17. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

18. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

actuallyu, at the intermissionh, Blue Max has TWO piecesof music as on the laser - one is technically the exit music for act one- unusual but Fox also did this for diary of
    Anne Frank (where is THAT dvd?). then there is a second piece of music to be played before the begining of act Two - does the DVDonly havce one piece of music here? ( shades of the Cleopatra DVD problem - hope their upcoming DVDof Song of Bernadette has the Overture).

19. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

20. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer