What's new

Fox to reissue 2-disc SEs (1 Viewer)

Joel C

Screenwriter
I guess Sound of Music goes for $40 on Amazon.com but if I sell, I'll just have to rebuy for $20, plus go through the trouble of finding a good deal.

Wow, I'm lazy!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
If I had realized that, I woudl have sold my Fight Club. They turn up used around here all the time.

Britton

Screenwriter
It sounds like all these 2-disc reissues are the same discs as before with no new features, so I'd just go ahead and pick up The French Connection at Costco.

Ken Bentley

Second Unit
awsome news. i can pick up fightclub two disc set... the others i have.. the end of this year is going to be $$$$$

glade i didnt pay a arm and a leg for the set along time ago on ebay

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Jez, why did you guys all wait so long for Fight Club? I got mine the day before release in for like $17.... heheh. :)

I remember being pissed that it was delayed so long.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Carl,

I think you are missing the point. It's not that we, as individuals, don't control whether we double-dip or not. One can of course decide not to buy a movie twice. But, when studios continuously produce different versions of the same movie, in a short period of time, that is aggravating for consumers who have already purchased an earlier version. So, is getting more for your money (in terms of transfer, extras, etc.) inherently bad? No, of course not. But for those of us who have already built collections of DVD's, the concept of re-releases and potential double-dipping can prove quite frustrating.

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if these re-releases will have new coverart?

The reason I ask is that FOX has officially dropped the "Five Star Collection" branding, and I was wondering if they'll design new cover art for either TSOM and ID4.

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
But for those of us who have already built collections of DVD's, the concept of re-releases and potential double-dipping can prove quite frustrating.
But by having large DVD collections, we don't somehow earn a right to get future versions of these discs. Let's face it, since we're hear at HTF, we're probably more prepared than anyone. I didn't buy the original release of Black Hawk Down, because I knew the special edition was coming. I personally don't feel that, say, a Bug's Life is worth re-purchasing for some silly content about Finding Nemo, since that'll probably be on the Finding Nemo disc anyway.

Everything in life is set up for double dipping, you probably just don't realize it. A 2004 model car will probably have better features than the 2003 model, probably more fuel efficient, etc. DVD Players are cheaper and have more features today than they did 3 years ago. Everything gets better with technology. Have you bought a new computer recently?? :D

Also keep in mind that, sometimes, re-releases give consumers a collector's item. What if they screw something up? Or to make way for a new promotional item on a DVD, they remove a commentary or something like that? I know I'm not getting rid of my Original Star Wars Trilogy VHS tapes, since they were the last even release of the original films. There can be benefits.

I think the best advice is to relax . . . weight the fact that some person who bought a newly released DVD with an extra trailer on it has been denied the ability to watch the same movie at home for the length of time that you've already owned it. If more people did this, then the studios wouldn't benefit from double dipping, and would focus on releasing the goods the first time.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Also keep in mind that, sometimes, re-releases give consumers a collector's item. What if they screw something up? Or to make way for a new promotional item on a DVD, they remove a commentary or something like that? I know I'm not getting rid of my Original Star Wars Trilogy VHS tapes, since they were the last even release of the original films. There can be benefits.
Nothing wrong with the glass is half-filled approach but I hope people are buying DVDs because they enjoy the film not for anything else. To place any hope that any single DVD will have some collectible value (at the time of purchase) is not at all likely. Further, anything labeled by marketing people as a "collectible item" has even a worse shot ...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if these re-releases will have new coverart?
I seem to recall a Fox chat here on HTF where the rep talked up the new packaging for The Abyss and the others. It sounded like perhaps they'd be more elaborate, paper-oriented covers a la Moulin Rouge, rather than plastic cases.

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to recall a Fox chat here on HTF where the rep talked up the new packaging for The Abyss and the others. It sounded like perhaps they'd be more elaborate, paper-oriented covers a la Moulin Rouge, rather than plastic cases.
This is a good plan because i think that the paper covers make a dvd seem more, "High Quality" to me. I dunno why, but for somereason the idea of the dvd being a made out a cheaper packing material like plastic gives me the impression that it was a quickly produced dvd that was built with no care or love. (Even though they all mass produced anyway. :D ) But some of my most favorite dvd cases are not made out of plastic. (Fight Club, The FOTR EE, and The simpsons season sets.)

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
If you had just said that it's marketing job to sell us the same basic thing as many times as they can .. I would agree with you. But your analogy of DVDs with cars is apples to oranges. A car may be purchased for a variety of reasons but rarely because of a small changes from model to model. It could be that the older car is on its last legs (for example). Likely, the new car is now going to be a different model/make altogether and purchased years apart.
I don't think it's completely apples and oranges, especially with the progression of leases. I will concede without a doubt that the resources needed to upgrade and acquire a newer version are obvious to one and all, but it's still all about marketing. There's a reason why car models change from year to year.

And there are still plenty of people that upgrade for the simple purpose of upgrading. I know several people that will only drive cars two years or newer. Once the car gets two years old, they buy a new one. I think they're crazy, but they have the right to do what they want, so it's really none of my business.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Now they need to re-release the 2 disc set of Big Trouble In Little China. The damn one disc version dropped the DTS track for a pan & scan monstrosity!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks