What's new

Fox, the plot thickens... (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Actually, I believe Planet of the Apes is also getting a single-disc reissue. According to Fox, it will still have a 16x9 transfer, a commentary track and some of the featurettes from the 2-disc SE.

The cover is identical to the current version, only without the "special edition" banner running at the top.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Since you said you are not looking at it from a business standpoint, when indeed Fox is running a business here, then why bother arguing with me and criticizing Fox in the process?
I'm neither arguing with you nor criticzing Fox. They released the product, and I'm just fine with getting sealed copies of The Abyss SE, Patton SE, Independence Day SE, etc from someone who is selling them on Half.

To think that from this moment on, everyone who has ever considered or will consider buying the 2-disc SEs of these titles has already purchased them from stores is extremely naive thinking. I know people who would eventually get around to them, people have posted here saying the same, and I myself am not interested in getting these titles in anything but SE form.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually, I believe Planet of the Apes is also getting a single-disc reissue. According to Fox, it will still have a 16x9 transfer, a commentary track and some of the featurettes from the 2-disc SE.
I've read that Fox is preparing "Planet of the Apes" for a Five Star Edition release in 2003.

Crawdaddy

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
Robert I assume your talking about the original 1968 version of Planet of the Apes , not the 2001 version. I think Patrick was talking about the 2001 version.

DanR

Supporting Actor
To think that from this moment on, everyone who has ever considered or will consider buying the 2-disc SEs of these titles has already purchased them from stores is extremely naive thinking.
Oh Luke c'mon now, of course there are some people who would still buy the 2-disc SE of these titles. I'm not saying that there aren't people who will still want these great SE's. But these people are (or will become) "collectors". They will gladly seek out the product they are looking for if they are true collectors. But Fox obviously feels that most of the new people getting into DVD are looking for the movie at the cheapest possible price. That's my hunch as to why they are re-evaluating the value proposition of some of their movies currently on the mkt only special editions. I'm sure fox ran a cost-benefit on running a double inventory, and decided it was not worth it on this particualr issue.

There's a concept in marketing that you don't seem to understand. It's called market segmentation. There are different types of customer bases and any rational profit-maximizing company is going to cater product to these different bases to create maximum "sell-through" (or penetration) of their titles. This is why we are seeing the proliferation of P&S releases as well.

I've been into this for about 10 years now. Widescreen releases and Special Editions are not going anywhere (provided the participants of the extra materials don't ruin the profitability of the production of such materials). Thanks to the first 5 years of DVD, the market segment known as "Collectors" has never been bigger or stronger. All of this paranoia proliferated & and encouraged by "ranting and raving" amatuer DVD webmasters makes some of us veterans laugh. In the meantime, I think some people need to chill out as the studios respond and sort out the issues related to the fastest growing home video technology ever (which is resulting in an equally rapid change in customer demographics). The Home Video Division's responsibility is to its parent company, not us. As harsh as that may sound, that is a hard, cold fact.

Regards,

Dan

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I've read that Fox is preparing "Planet of the Apes" for a Five Star Edition release in 2003.
They're talking about Burton's, Crawdaddy. Why suddenly they'd demote that superb 2 disc release to a single release that is still 16x9 (if true) will have me scratching my head...
Dan

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert I assume your talking about the original 1968 version of Planet of the Apes , not the 2001 version. I think Patrick was talking about the 2001 version.
My bad, I assume they were talking about the only version of that film I will own on dvd.:)
Crawdaddy

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
It seems very strange that the 2001 POTA would be getting Five Star treatment. The current edition has just as much on it as many other Five Star releases.

My guess is that the current release of the 2001 POTA is going to be added to the Five Star line, and repackaged and marketed as such. Hopefully they are instead giving the 1968 POTA Five Star treatment, as that is much more deserving and in much greater need of it.

Maybe it is a similar story with Cast Away as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 2001 version of "Planet of the Apes" is not schedule for a Five-Star Edition DVD release. However, the 1968 version is on schedule for such in the year 2003.
Crawdaddy

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Not to sound like a conspricacy theorist, but this could very well be a ploy. I look at it this way: they're announcing the discontinuation of ID4, so I'm immediately buying it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be all over these discs, whether they're really being discontinued or not.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
No, FOX are prepping the 1968 version for 5 Star treatment, not the 2001 version. Why would they? There's hardly anything more they could add to the Burton DVD.
A 5 Star of the original is still some way off, and I didn't mean the 1968 release. I wasnt speaking in reference to thoughts of the Burton version being re-badged as a 5 Star (it doesnt fit into the criteria of what is considered for a 5 Star release). The Image list states the 2 disc 2001 Burton version which Patrick (above) spoke of being demoted to a single disc SE. Robert thought Patrick was talking about the 1968 version...everyone got confused here. :)
Dan (again)
PS: Regarding Independence Day, I think Andrew is on the right track (though "ploy" is a bit of a strong term to use). I seem to recall when some website was giving early hints of Speed and True Lies 5 Stars (may have been Digital Bits) that they said Fox only want five 5-star releases out on the shelves each year... With Speed coming, it makes sense ID4 (the first 5 Star) be the first to go into short term retirement.
Speed 2 could be in for a 16x9/DTS re-issue alongside Speed 5 Star. Cast Away, X-Men, Apes and the Alien movies I just can't figure out. Romeo & Juliet makes sense with the SE due soon...

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm...

Well if it is a marketing ploy, than it's a pretty good one, since most of these titles are loaded special editions.

The Alien series is not a problem with me since there is more material available for Alien (and that rumored 5-Star Edition), Aliens...see above, Alien 3 needs that director's cut and more features. Never had the urge to watch Reseruection.

ID4, Castaway, and Planet of The Apes are my top ones to buy. But, since they will not go OOP until June 1st, there is no rush. Since getting a 16x9 is one of my goals to do this year, I am a little reluctant on The Abyss. If they re-release it as a one-disc reissue but enhanced for a 16x9 TV set, would it be worth it? I hate having to buy another copy of a film I already have, unless it was something good. But, I do like features, so I may just have to stick with the non-animophic...

The others, I don't need as Speed is being reissued later this year, the sequel sucked (IMO), Romeo and Juliet is being reissued as well, and X-Men...well I would like to own it, but why is that going OOP?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
People, just remember that they're going to stop producing these discs on June 1st which means you will probably be able to find most of these titles in stores all the way up to the Christmas buying season. By that time, we should have a good idea on what's coming about for 2003 and some insight into 2004.

Crawdaddy

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Crawdaddy, agreed that I was a little freaked in my post, but come on can you blame me? Ever since Warner made that now infamous announcment that 'Willy Wonka' and 'Cats and Dogs' would be full screen only, everyone, including Ron, has been telling us how OAR is in danger. I'll say it, I AM paranoid now! With each bit of bad news I read, I start connecting the dots, and I panic, that's just how I am.
This is what that announcment from Fox said to me... 1.They will discontinue the current OAR editions of those titles, meaning that they will no longer be pressing them, and 2.They announce fullscreen versions of those same titles. I don't like the sound of that.
Once the OAR ediions that are still on the shelf at retailers sell, the only ones that will be available are the fullscreen editions, and that scares the shit out of me.
Couple all of that with the absence of Peter Staddon here in the forum latly, and they're new willingness to produce fullscreen titles, and it just spells trouble to me that's all.
Sorry about my first post, but i'm not going to pretend that something doesn't bother me when it does, IF it means what I think it means.
Thankfully, I already have all of the ones mentioned, still though, I smell trouble.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all!!!
Any idea WHEN the New Titanic SE is out? I know it's in the works and Cameron has gone BACK down to the wreck and personally shot footage!
Will this just have "Makin' of" stuff or will this be a longer cut ala T2 and The Abyss and Aliens? I know having seen previous docs. that there is much more footage of The "Historical" story.... Footage of The Strausses, The captain, The crew, The Telegraph operators.....
It is 1 of the best non-annie transfers out so let's HOPE they do a new annie transfer justice!!!! My G'friend will go MAD!!
:) Peace D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Dave, this is off topic, but I believe Cameron dove to the wreck of 'Titanic' for both an IMAX film he's doing on shipwrecks, AND a 'Titanic' SE. Believe me when I say this is going to be something very special indeed, I mean were only talking about the most successful film of all time here.:)
Expect it sometime next year, hopefully early.

Rob T

Screenwriter
but why would they be discontinuing the X-Men disc? it's not like theres much on it when compared to other discs that came out around the same time and it's only 1 disc.

Unless they're canceling it in favour of their up and coming D-VHS version, I can't see any reason to cancel it.

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Dan Brecher is correct in that there will only be 5 different 5-star DVDs in the market at the same time. ID4 will be the first to be discontinued as it was the first 5-star release.

I think Sound of Music was nr 2 so I wouldn't be surprised if we see that being pulled later in the year.

Users who are viewing this thread