Fox: The Pirate Movie (1 Viewer)

Lafe F

Second Unit
"Raise the flag of Piracy!"

"Sing a song of Victory!"

"Bring this movie to DVD!"

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy this right away- it was never on laserdisc, though I do have it on CED! PLEASE keep the original matrixed soundtrack even if you have to do a spiffy new 5.1 remix along with it, the original sound mix is very impressive! It was one of the first movies I watched at home with Dolby Surround!

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, yes. This is certainly on my list. What an outrageous piece (and I am a Gilbert and Sullivan purist).

Chris M

Second Unit
The wife loves this movie, she spent like $100 for the VHS ages ago 'cause she couldn't find it for cheaper. I'd love to replace it with the DVD (5.1 would be nice, but definately keep the original sound like Jesse says)

Anyway, you release it, we'll buy it!

Chris.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
One of the first things I looked for when I discovered ebay!

A favorite of mine from when I was a kid. I'd purchase this one for sure!

Take care,

Chuck

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for starting this thread...

This is my MOST favorite movie ever... I've watched endless times...

Anytime I'm depressed or in a funk.. and need a serious pick me up.. i'll pop this in.

copies on Ebay were furiously bidded over all the way up to around $100 though I think it came down to around $30 in the last couple years.

If you decide to license this to Anchor Bay.. don't let them do it without Captioning it!!!

I'd also LOVE to see Christopher & Kristy be called upon to do a commentary for this movie but PLEASE ADD a subtitle track for this or else I'll never get to enjoy it!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Yes...I've heard of this movie's cult reputation, and I would love to see an OAR release with nice features. If you could do it for "Rocky Horror Picture Show", then you could surely do it for this one as well.

Sincerely,

John "While I'm on the ball, how about a DVD of 'Shock Treatment'?" Kilduff

Teresa

Grip
I really like this movie and would buy the dvd in a heartbeat. I also have at least 3 friends that would also buy it on release day. :)

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
It's so cool to see this thread!!! This is/was a GREAT movie.

I mention it in vain to people who I think would like it, but inevitably have never heard of it.

This is a movie I'd love to add to my collection of old B-Comedy flicks, like Murder By Death, and Midnight Madness.

Of course, I'd also like to see Scavenger Hunt and a gaggle of other great funny films.

Here's hoping. :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If we can get "Can't Stop The Music" we can get this masterpiece too, though the previous tape editions of it are OK quality for what the movie is. Like Can't Stop the Music, The Pirate Movie also has a Baskin-Robbins product placement in the movie and had a flavor-of-the-month promoting the movie (Pirate's Gold in this case!)

Kelly V

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking in my DVD retailer mode, I get requests for this title on DVD every month. The same customers want to know when The Pirates of Penzance will be available as well. We want our Kevin Klein-in-boots!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Since these titles are tied together so closely,doesn't a Simultaneous Release sound like a great idea? I think so!

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
i keep hearing about the Kevin Kline version... would this perhaps be the one with Angela Lansbury playing "Ruth"?

When I went hunting for the movie as a kid, I accidently rented something that was Pirates of Penzance the real thing rather than the parody spoof that I loved so much and at the time, other than noticing Angela as Ruth, I had no patience for something that wasn't what I was searching for.

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
btw who owns this title?

My movie poster shows 20th Century Fox on the bottom... but I don't know if that means they are still the ones who own the rights to put it out on DVD or not.

All I care about that when it gets released to DVD... IT MUST BE CAPTIONED, both feature AND any extras they manage to dig up (I hope)

Kelly V

Stunt Coordinator
Yes! The one with Angela Landsbury as "Ruth" is the version with Kevin Klein as the "Pirate King." If you've never seen it all the way through to "Hail, Hail to Piracy'" then you won't understand exactly how enraptured I (and millions of others) am by Kevin-in-boots. If you are asking about who owns the rights to The Pirate Movie , that I don't know. But if you are interested in who has the rights to The Pirates of Penzance (the Kevin Klein version) I know that the copywright as of 1990 was held by MCA/Universal Home Video.
I don't know if, having seen The Pirate Movie first, you will get quite as big a thrill out of "Penzance," but Oh...those boots!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the confirmation....

I quit watching right around when they all hit shore for the first time... including Ruth which surprised me cause in the Pirate Movie she doesn't go on shore til she appears in the library during the sword fight.

I gotta admit... I'm very curious now to see the Piates of Penzance since I know I'd have better appreciation for it now esp since I know who Kevin Kline is now and love him lots!

Kathy D

Auditioning
I would love to have this on DVD. It is such a guilty pleasure of mine! It brings back memories of other movies that I haven't seen in ages such as "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken", "Private Eyes", and as mentioned earlier "Murder by Death". It would be wonderful to be able to purchase "The Pirate Movie"!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
With all due respect, you can't compare The Pirate Movie to The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Rocky Horror has played continuously for over 20 years and grossed over $150 million in North America alone. The Pirate Movie lasted three weeks in theatres and made about 50 cents. ( I know, because I worked in a theatre when it came out .) It's reputation hasn't exactly blossomed over the years.

I also love The Pirate Movie and would buy it in a second, but only because it's entertainment value comes from laughing at a movie that is so hopelessly, completely awful. It's right up there with Valley of The Dolls and Showgirls in the " What were they thinking ??" category . I'm quite serious when I say I'd buy it - I even own a set of the original lobby cards !

I

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks