What's new

FOX: The Last Great LaserDisc--EPISODE I DTS (1 Viewer)

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
I think it would be a nice idea to send off the LaserDisc format with one final great release: "Star Wars: Episode I--The Phantom Menace" in DTS.
I think the video quality of the current LD is quite spectacular, so I am absolutely not advocating a new video transfer. I just want a new LD release with the same video transfer but with a DTS soundtrack, which would have a 1.411 Mbps bit rate. My mouth waters just thinking about it. And as an even greater send off, have the DTS track be in DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete in the DTS 96/24 format (if either of these features are possible for a LD). Just think about it, the first and last laserdisc to have ES 6.1 Discrete and 96/24 audio. Any studio response would be dearly appreciated.
Anyone who SUPPORTS my suggestion, please display your support.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I miss seeing new laserdisc releases come out, don't miss the PRICES though! You can bet if this came out it'd be at least $59.99; a 'special edition' with whatever's going to be on the DVD would be at least $99!

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and ZERO extras on this release to keep the price down. Nonetheless, I would pay any amount as long as it's within reason.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Laserdisc is long dead. I tried supporting it as long as I could, but even I had to admit finally it was dead.
Why not a DTS DVD? It could be full bit-rate, DTS-ES and have the better picture quality. Not to mention the DD Episode I was a great send-off to LD. The last LD I bought was Episode I (but I sold it for what I paid a week or two before the DVD announcement.)

Luis A

Second Unit
A DTS version of Episode 1 on dvd would be awesom.I was very disappointed when I heard the dvd coming out in Oct. was not going to have DTS on it. I'll buy it when it's released ,but I hope for a DTS version at full bit rate with no extras. DTS ES Discrete and or 96/24 would be nice as well. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hmmm, you know it's quite facinating to listen to DTS hounds talk amongst themselves, quite facinating indeed, I mean from the reviews this dvd is going to have an earth shattering DD track but hey, whatever floats your boats. :)
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 24, 2001 at 04:04 AM]

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
No offense, and I know you don't want me posting here cause I'm not a supporter...but this is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard in my life. Don't be offended or anything, since I understand your intentions were good...but thank God that the studio would never do such a thing. Goodness!

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I try for a Laseridsc is because there are so many people who could give a crap about a DTS DVD, when in fact if given a choice between DTS and DD, these same people would buy DTS without any thought. Laserdisc obviously has a lower profile and probably a lower production value, so maybe it wouldn't be as big a deal to make a DTS LD as opposed to a DTS DVD.
Oh, Luke, the reason I emphasize SUPPORT is because when people make comments such as yours, a pointless debate ensues that just totally kills the point of the post. If I thought an idea of yours just plain sucked, personally I would keep it to myself. Maybe my idea is a lost cause, but don't try to bury it even more.
[Edited last by Jason_S on September 25, 2001 at 09:56 AM]

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I agree with you Jason, It is just nasty and pointless to bury someones post.
I have made some posts in the past and idiots have to come and ruin it.
I support your ideas. keep the hope, It is all you can do.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
Thank you WILL K for the banner

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
How about a separate, full bitrate 24 bit DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 DVD release with the same loving care as was given The Haunting on DTS DVD? That one has a better soundtrack than Ep. 1 overall.
But, with much better picture quality and no edge enhancement or whatever the heck it was that added ringing and halos to the upcoming transfer.
No video supplements on the first disc to pump up the video bitrate. All video supplements on a second disc. Just use the DD 192 kilobits/sec audio commentaries as the required Dolby Digital tracks to keep the DVD in spec. No DD 5.1 or 2.0 backup necessary.
This is for the SW and DTS fans, not Dolby this time.
Please, Mr. Staddon.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, I couldn't agree more! (I suppose my argument is for Ep. I-DTS on any format--DVD or LD. Of course, DVD would be preferable.) As Dan has suggested, this would be the IDEAL DVD:
"Star Wars: Episode I--The Phantom Menace" on DVD
Disc 1:
DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete soundtrack
full, 1509Kbps audio bit rate
24-bit/96kHz audio
filmmakers' audio commentary
Disc 2:
Everything else.

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
I think I know why there are so many people saying that a DTS-ES Ep.I DVD is pointless. The reason is because when a separate DTS-ES version comes out, those people are just going to be pissed that they WASTED their money on the Dolby DVD. I think they want a DTS DVD, but they just don't want it to come out. I know this may sound weird, but just think about it. People are afraid of an Episode I-DTS DVD because it will be so utterly awesome that it will make all the money spent on the Dolby DVD a complete waste. Alas, I for one will be happy to buy BOTH versions--DTS and DD.
Anyway, I must digress. FOX, George Lucas, whoever, PLEASE let us know that you're at least considering a SEPARATE release of EPISODE I in DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete @ a 1509Kbps bit-rate in the 96/24 format. The resources are there, so use them.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I SERIOUSLY doubt very much that Lucas will ever release these films in DTS, I really do. As far as being "afraid" of a DTS release, nonsense, I just feel that when a soundtrack rocks, it rocks, no matter what audio format it is. Jeez, you guys havn't even heard the soundtrack on this dvd yet!
------------------

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard the LD track many times, and it is awesome. It's awesome enough that it makes we want an even better soundtrack presentation, which is possible.
And again, please post your *SUPPORT* only! If every posting under this topic would contain ONLY support, we would not have to get into some stupid debate. Such debates are for the Software forum, NOT the Studio and Manufacturer Feedback forum. So to everyone who feels the need to throw in snide comments like "Lucas will never release Star Wars in DTS" and "Geez guys, you haven't even heard the soundtrack on this dvd yet," KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES. I just want a peaceful and single-goal oriented topic here.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jason S, I noticed that you singled two of my statements out in your latest response as being "Snide", I wasn't being snide at all, I was just offering up a very legitimate opinion. If your going to start a topic on DTS, be prepared to get all sorts of veiws on the subject, their hasn't been one DTS oriented topic started here that hasn't had people from both sides offer up their veiws and opinions.
You want a one sided DTS discussion!?
laugh.gif
Sorry to say but that's just not realistic, and it's not gonna happen, unless of course your a moderator and have editing authorization, in fact, your thread may be the most civil DTS thread in the history of this forum
wink.gif
, their has been some in the past that have gotten down right bloody! But please don't call another members opinon "snide" just because he said somethng that you may not want to hear. Peace.
------------------
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 27, 2001 at 03:57 AM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 27, 2001 at 04:04 AM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 27, 2001 at 04:12 AM]

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
This isn't a discussion area folks. If you don't agree with what is being asked for just keep away, or start your own thread asking for whatever it is that you want!
------------------
"We shall never surrender"
Winston Churchill.

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
You want a one sided DTS discussion!? Sorry to say but that's just not realistic, and it's not gonna happen.
Maybe it's not possible in the Software forum, but in this area I do think it is possible to have a one-sided DTS topic. TOPIC, not discussion. The purpose of my original post is already tainted because of people who violate the purpose of this forum area. And I thank Mr. Gillespie for pointing out that if you have a differing opinion about the topic, zip your lips, at least in this area. John, please do not post anything else unless it ONLY includes support. I really don't like telling people to shush.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks