What's new

FOX - The King & I, Carousel, South Pacific (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
DVD Times lists a March 20th street date for the next three Rogers and Hammerstein films:

The King and I - two disc set

Carousel - Two Disc set including the film Liliom

South Pacific - Two Disc set including the extended Roadshow version of the film

Hopefully these sets will be more like the "State Fair" DVD then the "Oklahoma!" travesty.

A Domestic release date should be announced soon

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
greg, I just saw that too.
I know for a fact that the soundtrack part of the long South Pacific has not been completed yet. still, I will order Carousel, King and I and South Pacific.
I ahve been told that the domestic versions of these will not be out until next November, but with Fox you never know.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
All 3 are tempting, especially if there are no Blu-Rays of these around the corner.

How's the SP restoration effort going? Will there be any new film prints made of the long version?

I'm going to see the King & I on the big screen in Silver Spring, I can't wait to see the restored print.

After the shameful DVD presentation of OKLAHOMA recently and the deeply offensive F**K YOU explanation from Fox, I for one, won't be conned into purchasing these titles blind. There is no harm in waiting until they are reviewed on HTF and get decent feedback from the members.

Pinky,Island in the Sun and Stormy Weather transfers have had only fair reviews that mention they aren't up to the usual picture clarity expected from Fox. With so many treasures still in their vaults I really want Fox to get it right!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Considering their upcoming releases of Betty Grable musicals seem to not even include the outtake numbers that were on the VHS tapes over 10 years ago, I am really reluctant to buy any Fox Classics until I read a review here.

Not that it will hurt them though. At 6 PM tonight, at J and R Music World in Manhattan - they actually had only 2 copies of Stormy Weather left - and a big empty shelf space where they were displayed.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to get South Pacific which includes the roadsow version for the first time.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I still can't believe UNIVERSAL is still SITTING ON "FLOWER DRUM SONG", WHAT GIVES with them ???????????????????????

Charles H

Screenwriter
I would hope that LILLIOM will be Frank Borzage's 1930 version--rather than the Fritz Lang French version (1934) already out on dvd.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Great News.
The Extras sound exciting, but I think I'll wait for the NTSC Region 1 release as these are very familiar titles that will really suffer, sound-wise, from PAL speed-up.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The extras listing say its the 1934 version in french. Odd, as thats already out. I wonder if we'llalso get that in region one.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'll wait for hi-def.

More than almost any other type of comercial movie...these wide-angle big-screen big-budget musicals deserve to be viewed with the clarity of 1080P.

Of course...if they are well transfered and on sale...

:D

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Both the carousel and King and I outtake numbers will be audio only.
I wish the carousel was from raw sessions instead of the capitol records tapes. I'd like to hear the uncut Blow High Blow Low with the dance part.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Strange that no film outtakes of KING AND I will be on the disc, as I've seen shots of clappers from the film in the "Hollywood Screen Tests" and "Hidden Hollywood" series.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
According to my source, these will be out by the summer, possibly late spring. I hope I am right, I don't want to wait until November for region 1. I have also learned that Flower Drum Song may be announced soon, I cannot confirm this quite yet or pass on the specs, as I was promised into secrecy (why they consider this so secret is beyond me, you would think this type of news was from the CIA). I am developing a new web site on classic films and don't want my 2 sources upset with me. The dvd will be in widescreen and the film was remastered including the audio. All I will say for now is this release will be a pleasant surprise.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thanks for the info Robert, let's hope that your information on FLOWER DRUM SONG is correct.

I know Joe Caps and a lot of us will be very happy with that fantastic bit of news.

I wonder if there are any deleted songs that could be included on the new DVD.
Not too sure that Universal are big on extras though.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Doug, I don't think there were any deleted songs. Several of the songs from the Broadway show were cut ahead of time ..."Am I the Man that you Love", several verses of "Younger Generation, and "Like A God." Too bad, they're all good songs, but from what I have been able to find on the making of this film, they were never to be a part of it.

I am excited as well, this has taken far too long. Too Bad that they hired Jack Soo, in the Broadway cast he was the nightclub announcer, and that was fine. But in my opinion, he ruined "Sunday" and "Don't Marry Me," the guy is an awful singer and those are great songs. I am surprised he wasn't at least dubbed. This case seems as bad to me as Lucy singing "Open a New Winder," and "It's Today" in Mame. Great songs, no dubbing, terrible delivery of the vocals.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Robert, sorry to get on your case earlier - having a very bad day.
Anyway, will Flower drum song have the original 3.0 or 4.0 sound or just a 2.0 mixdown?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks