What's new

FOX: Thank you for STEALING BEAUTY, but it is missing the English subtitles! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just in case this hasn't been brought to your attention yet, this disc is missing the English translations for the foreign language dialogue. I've noted details in my review, but without these the film will not make a lot of sense to anyone who isn't intimately familiar with it.
The image looks gorgeous, and the sound and supplements are nice upgrades from the LD, but the subtitle issue is pretty major.
Also, the package indicates a French surround track, which is also not on the disc.
EDIT: See below for info on getting a fixed copy.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as someone who will purchase this disc if the subs are added in. I love this movie! :emoji_thumbsup:

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I too will be holding off purchasing this title until the missing subtitles are replaced, or Fox releases a corrected version of the disc.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if there's any word on whether Fox is planning to address this issue.

Thanks!

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone contact Fox on this issue?

I'm been holding this title until this resolved.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I'd just like to add, I'm another person that planned on purchasing this title and will not do so until this is corrected or at least addressed formally like the Cleopatra issue.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hello? Is this being taken care of?

A full recall appears to be in order.

Mark

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I haven't heard anything back, but don't really expect to, I know these folks are extremely busy. This is a pretty major mistake to fix, since the subtitles (both the language translations and the CC version) would need to be created and timed, the menu would need to be reworked, and the whole disc reauthored from scratch, plus reprinting the cover art to remove the French track which isn't there or adding it to the disc if it was. I certainly wouldn't be looking forward to doing it. I do wish I had been a little more persistent in obtaining a check disc, though.

Interestingly, I haven't found many (okay, any) reviews that mention the problems - they even list the French track assuming it is on the disc.

The image quality here is really good, so I do hope this gets addressed, but don't hold your breath for official word on it.

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator
I've bought this disc at a local shop.

The box does not indicate the presence of a French track.

Does it mean the disc now got fixed, or just the box got fixed?

Can anyone let me know where the missing subs are located so that I can check the disc?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Jim;

If you got the Region 1 Fox disc, anywhere there is a foreign language being spoken (Italian or French) there should be English subtitles.A perfect example is the scene where the two boys drive up in the car while Lucy is posing, and are speaking in Italian

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
Luckily, someone posted the subtitle problem before I bought Stealing Beauty. I anxiously await being able to own this wonderful film on DVD, but there's no way I'm going to buy it until this subtitle oversight is addressed and corrected.

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator
I've finally checked it out and unfortunately the subtitle problem still not corrected.:frowning:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just wondering if there is any news on a corrected version of this title?

Thanks

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
ok, here's the deal.

The subtitles have been added in to discs shipped to retail after the initial shipment.

If you have a disc without the subtitles call the customer service number and they will send you a replacement disc.

The number to call is 888 223 2369. You will need your package with you when you call.

The replacement discs will be at customer service by next Friday (June 7th) so please do not call before then.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Peter Staddon

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
THANK YOU, Mr. Staddon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My purchase will be made either tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks again for supporting this forum. I'm sure everyone that responded here will be pleased to hear this update.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks