Fox Sports and screen clutter: when will it end?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by JoeU, Dec 17, 2005.

1. JoeU

JoeU Extra

So here I sit watching the Patriots and Bucs game and Fox Sports has proven once again that there is no limit to the number of times they can astound/disgust me with their presentation. As if they don't normally have enough graphics, animations, and sound effects to distract you from what you actually sat down to watch, today they've dragged out something new for the holidays. In the space between the top of the screen and the score/timeclock bar which runs the entire horizontal length of the screen they have added an animation of falling snow which gradually accumulates on top of the bar. Then, every couple of minutes or so, a snow plow drives across the screen and clears away the snow, all accompanied by the sound of jingling sleigh bells. Man, I long for the days when I could tune in to a game or show and actually see and hear what I was watching.

2. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

i hear you joe!

3. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

You know what would be funny. A retro NFL game presentation. With all the teams and their retro jersey fads, how about a retro visual presentation of just 1 quarter of football.

If you get the chance, check out a game (like a super bowl) from the 80s or even early 90s. It makes todays games look like their on cocaine !

Not a moment passes, there isn't a flashing number, or some other (usually insignificant) info scrolling, rolling, flashing or othewise drawing your attention.

For example, the first quarter fantasy football ticker where you'll see such necessary stats like WRS: Shockey 1 catch 12 yds.

ugh.

4. DanielCo

DanielCo Stunt Coordinator

I absolutely agree! I cannot believe how horrible the FOX football coverage has become. The snow on the top is just the latest in a string of annoyances. The yellow first down line was not only brighter than the sun, but was obviously incorrect during key measurements. The noise for EVERY graphic change (jingling bells on Saturday) is grating. Of course, telling FOX to tone down anything is like telling Chris Berman to take a breath...ain't gonna happen.

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

If you were watching in HD, the top bar was an even bigger percentage of the screen than in SD.

I remember a couple of glorious games where the network announcers weren't being used and the stadium announcers were put on the air. I don't remember if it was a technical problem or a scheduling conflict but watching a play without a voiceover was very pleasant. Network announcers, "Shut the * up". It's television not radio after all.

When they were free, I used to listen to the NFL radio broadcasts while watching the games.

6. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Fox may have gotten complaints about that yesterday. I switched over to Fox for a few seconds during the commercial on the Colts game, and the falling snow above the bar is not there. The Christmas lights on the sides of the bar and the red and green NFL on Fox logo is still there (I assume the "jingle bells" effects are probably being used), but there's nothing above the bar.

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

It was neither. It was a deliberate experiment by NBC.

8. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Well as long as the viewers are apathetic about the screen spam, it will continue to get worse. I have been attempting to gather the troops about this issue for a while now, but it seems nobody cares enough to do anything about. My Anti-Logo website has been getting little or no visitors / posters. I guess that there is less hatred for this issue that I thought. [​IMG]

If you care, Visit the site in my signiture and post in the forums. We can use all the help we can get.

9. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

fox is bloatware

10. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

...or get a haircut, or make an effort to learn names of players, or eat a salad, or gain some credibility.

11. Mark_B

Mark_B Second Unit

Mark
    They're trying to make it look like a video game. It's awful. I've complained several times to Fox, but have never gotten a response. They also pump way too much crowd noise into the rear speaker channels. It actually drowns out the announcers. Every Fox event I have to lower the volume on the rears so I can hear what they are saying. It is utterly ridiculas.

12. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I was watching one of the football games a few weeks ago and they had difficulties with the graphics, so for almost a quarter they had just the game, with no annoying crap on the screen. It was great, and I wish there was a way for us consumers to hit a button on our remote and remove all clutter on the screen.
    Since I am wishing, here is another wish: I wish those with Sunday Ticket could turn off the scores of the other games, so it doesn't ruin the suspense when you TiVo one game while watching another.

And those annoying pop-up ads for other tv shows in the corners need to go from all shows, not just sports shows.

Scott, I visited your site and signed the petition.

13. Mark_B

Mark_B Second Unit

Mark
    It's not just the folks with Sunday Ticket that get the scores of other games, it's both Fox and CBS. I have made rather eleborate cover ups to try and keep from seeing them. On CBS, the scores run at the bottom and are easy to cover up. Fox runs them both in the corner and at the bottom. Whatever happened to the every 10 minutes preceded by a tone so you knew it was coming? It totally destroys watching a game if you know the score beforehand. You cannot realistically watch one and record another anymore. It used to be easy.

14. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Stop the spam! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

You don't actually expect the networks to make it any easier for you to use your Tivo, do you?

16. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob

And this is a bad thing how? [​IMG]

Rob