What's new

Fox special editions end of september incl Chariots of Fire & Titanic (1 Viewer)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I wonder if the film being referred to here is Titanic! starring Barbara Stanwyck? There is no way a SE of the Cameron film would be released with this little fanfar and at that price point, unless it is merely an anamorphic re-issue.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
I am dubious about these being SEs probably just reissues of the existing versions, possibly at a lower price point.
Also mentioned was Braveheart which is already a 2 disk (although only a making of is on the 2nd disk).

In the UK Fox have just re-released ID4, Abyss (both 2 disk SE) and an number of their scifi titles (including X Men) at a lower price of around £13 (previously £20 to £25). Not sure if this is permanent or a limited period only.

X Men is already better in UK R2 as includes a making of doc in addition to the spoof doc on R1 & R2. This is slated as a 2 disk SE coming in summer 2003 to tie in with X Men 2's theatrical release, also may be a longer version.

Titanic has long been rumoured as a SE extra footage has supposedly been filmed for a Cameron super edition but this was I thought 2003 at the earliest. I do not believe an anamorphic master currently exists.
However they took take the existing non-anamorphic disk and add a second of the EPK and making of docs etc which already exist. When I bought the VHS they gave a bonus VHS of around an hour's making of stuff.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
It's listed in AMAZON.UK, Titanic CE coming Sept... No details though, but it DOES say "Collector's Edition"... Interesting, since the original DVD is STILL for sale as well...

Any info...? D

James Reader

Screenwriter
I don't know why you guys are so down of Fox and the Titanic collectors edition release.
Remember Fox owned the worldwide rights to this movie and Paramount owns the US rights. It is not as unfeasible as you state that R2 may get a new release with extra features. After all, there is no need to publicize this release in America - and if Paramount has plans for their own special edition in the next couple of years, why should they?
The real question in my mind is not will the new release feature anything new (I'm convinced it will) but will the extras be worth while. There are, after all any number of 'making ofs', promotional footage and even real life Titanic documentaries which could be included on the disc. Most of which wouldn't be worth the plastic they were pressed on.
Fox have already released an overpriced collectors edition VHS during the films initial launch on home video (
See here on Amazon.co.uk ) which apart from the usual gimmicks (film cells, script book etc), also includes a separate Making Of tape. If the new Collector Edition DVD is to include this making of, it would explain why no new extras have been certified by the BBFC (it's already been passed).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My sources tell me no Titanic SE has been put into production yet. If this is an SE release, it's using old material

James Reader

Screenwriter
My sources tell me no Titanic SE has been put into production yet. If this is an SE release, it's using old material
We're pretty sure that the disc will make use of old promotional materials (should it indeed have any bonus materials) as nothing is showing as been certified by the BBFC - and it's getting a little late in the day for Fox to put stuff through now.

Of course, the Collectors Edition could just be the existing disc with 16:9 enhancement or even just different packaging.

I disagree that it will feature a soundtrack CD or other (so called) collectable materials though at the £19.99 price point.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well according to play.com it is a DVD plus a CD.
See here
So I would expect it to be the same (non-anamorphic transfer) disc plus a CD.
How disappointing. Like I said before, there are lost simply 'Movie Making Of' and 'Real-Life' Titanic documentaries available so that fox could release a value added disc - and still leave themselves in a position to release the 'ultimate' DVD of this movie when it finally is ready.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Titanic was actually listed as a special edition by a magazine in the uk. Very deceiving! I think the real special edition will come in time for xmas 2003.
Also what about a shawshank redemption special edition. This is a movie that just does not get the treatment it deserves.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Well, I've just been told my somebody who has the Titanic Collector's Edition on order at Blackstar that an email has been sent saying that the releases have been delayed so that additional content can be included on the disc.

Make of that what you will. Play incidentally are still showing the September 30th release date on their site.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I've spoken to Fox last week about a possible Titanic SE and all they said that it is coming in 2003 and nothing more.

I think we will have to wait a bit longer to get the new Titanic Collector's Edition.

Greetz,

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4704
Remember the Ho-Ha we had a few weeks ago about a new edition of "Titanic" showing up on Play as a 2 disk set ? We guessed it was part of Fox's new "Movies and Music" range, looks like we where right! Fox's PR has sent over these pack shots for the films in the range. You get the film on DVD and the CD of the soundtrack for £19.99. Should make nice Christmas gifts for those new to the format. More details later, they have the covers as well

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I love the covers for The Commitments, Chariots of Fire
and Dances with Wolves.
I hope a scan of the covers pops up at DVDcoverart
when the sets come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks