Fox: Space Above and Beyond !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_P, May 23, 2002.

1. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

Fox:

Please consider releasing a season set of "Space Above and Beyond".

I just watched this series for the first time and "WOW" is it ever great. Morgan/Wong (From X Files fame) do an amazing job with this series. Amazingly well written scripts, and a killer of a cliff hanging finale. It just screams for either a second year of programming or at least a 2 hour TV movie to wrap things up. I'm surprised this series was not picked up for a second season. It's still better than a lot of the current prgorams out there.

I would think with the success of the X Files dvd's "Space Above and Beyond" would be a natural fit to get a full season box set as well.

Thanks for considering.

Greg

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

After Buffy, this is my #1` want from Fox TV

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they're very interested in doing it

HOWEVER word on the street is that Morgan and Wong are trying to do it themselves, probably something like "My so called life"

3. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I know I would buy this series on DVD. [​IMG]

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I too would love to get this show on dvd.

5. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jeff,
    If you hear any more word "on the streets" please let me know. I'd grab a season set in a heartbeat. If Fox has no plans to do this on their own, I would think they should jump at the chance for someone else to front the money and they still take their cut [​IMG]!
    Thanks,
    Greg

6. Jeff Kleist

This wurd on the street is about a year old. I'm not hoping [​IMG]

7. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

(Edited to add URL link to dvd rumor, which is about half way down on the page of this link[​IMG] )
    http://www.microserve.net/~kduncan/may02_news.html
    Jeff,
    Someone sent me a URL (Damn, can't find it right now), that a third party approached "Fox Lawyers"(sounds like a new show)in March about obtaining the rights to "Space Above and Beyond" for a dvd release. Unfortunately no further news since then, which is probably bad news.
    However I still don't understand why if Fox has no intentions of releasing this on dvd why not let someone else and Fox can still pocket some change too??
    Greg

8. Jeff Kleist

Greg, licensing deals take an eternity. I'm sure that entity was probably representing Morgan & Wong.
    Mmmm, think how delicious it would be if that entity were Anchor Bay! [​IMG]

9. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

Funny, that was my first thought as well. Let it be "Anchor Bay" !!
    However, I don't seem to remember Fox sub-licensing anything out, so I'm still not that hopeful [​IMG]!

10. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

If anyone is still interested I update my previous post (post #7) with the URL which contained info about someone "contacting Fox Lawyers" for obtaining the rights to release the show to dvd.
    Also, a couple of people mailed me different petitions for getting this show on dvd. Not sure how much good it will do, but here's a link to one of them that at least had 500+ signatures:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?SPACEAAB
    It looks like there are a few petitions out there. Obviously it'd be better if these were stream-lined so Fox would have a better gauge of interest in this show. But figured I'd add a link anyways.
    Greg

11. Louis-Olivier

Louis-Olivier Stunt Coordinator

count me in as well! In my book, Space above and beyond is second only to Twin Peaks. I've asked peter at every chat if they were planning to do it, and will continue to do it until i get it in my hands [​IMG]

12. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

13. Jeff Kleist

I talked to most of the FX team at a convention

THey didn't know they were cancelled until the very last minute. Joel De La Fuente (Wang) was VERY angry because his fate was supposed to be part of the cliffhanger, and he had a party at his house of family and friends and saw himself greased onscreen

So basically they had to try to re-edit their cliffhanger finale into a series finale at the very last minute.

The NFL killed SAAB (or Space: 2063 as Theo probably knows it as), never forget this. The constant pre-emptions killed what started out as good ratings, especially considering it was in the worst slot on television (Sunday at 7). It also didn't help that another good Sci-Fi show, Earth 2(another victim on the NFL's rap sheet) was on exactly opposite it.

14. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Oh right, cheers Jeff. It wasn't clear about the axing, and the fact that we all felt it got so much better towards the end just lent credence to the idea that it must have been given the axe early on.

And it was always called Space: Above and Beyond on BBC2 - dunno about that other title...Both of them are pretty bad, to be honest.

Still worth a purchase in anyone's book.

15. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Put me down for a set too. This is a show I'd really like on DVD.

16. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator