What's new

Fox: "Song of Bernadette" on June 3, but where is "The Grapes of Wrath"??? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I would love a Henry Fonda collection, starting with ALL his westerns. Must be 100+ or so... I settle for a 40-disc set to start with :). And that set includes, apart from the very obvious, some lesser mentioned ones like Warlock (1959), Edward Dmytryk and Gideon's Trumpet (1980), Robert Collins - made for TV). Cannot be overestimated.

Oh, here's a rather personal anecdote. I always tease my wife by saying: "he's got his daughter Jane's eyes".

That's from the time when as a student I watched Barbarella in the cinema (still like that one), and sort of loved Jane Fonda for a while. "Discovered" Henry as the great actor he is only later (I'm sure she would love to hear that, in a way, someone compares her father to her :) ).

So I need at least these:

Jesse James (1939), Henry King
Drums Along the Mohawk (1939), John Ford
Grapes of Wrath, The (1940), John Ford
Ox-Bow Incident, The (1943), William A. Wellman
My Darling Clementine (1946), John Ford
Fort Apache (1948), John Ford
Tin Star, The (1957), Anthony Mann
Warlock (1959), Edward Dmytryk
Stranger on the Run (1967), Don Siegel
Welcome to Hard Times (1967), Burt Kennedy
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968), Sergio Leone
There Was a Crooked Man… (1970), Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Gideon's Trumpet (1980)

And if they're busy doing a Fonda-eyes set:

Period of Adjustment (1962), George Roy Hill
Chase, The (1966), Arthur Penn
Coming Home (1978), Hal Ashby
Stanley & Iris (1990), Martin Ritt

Note that I'm not discussing new releases of already released films now!

Cees

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Cees...How about "A Big Hand for the Little Lady"??

I love that film; have you seen it?

Henry, shuffling cards: "Been a loooooong time..."

Jon

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
It's too bad more members haven't responded to this thread asking for some information about this great film's release on dvd.
Robert, I have raised this question in other threads. There is no lack of interest in tracking this title in my household :) . That having been said, I am dismayed that Fox has chosen to let this much time pass without any indication on why and when issues :frowning: .

Joel

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm honored you all want the little stop-motion film I made in High School on DVD, I didn't think anyone outside my class saw it? I'll have to do some commentary on how I patterned the grapes' attack after an amoeba.

If Fox delayed it, it was for a good reason, so quit your wineing

yes, that was intentional

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I too am anxious for Grapes of Wrath to come out, but I'm also surprised that HTF has such short memories.

HTF chat with Peter Staddon December 2 2002:

We have had a lot of fun picking titles for the studio classic line up. we've been
working desperately to get a restored print of the Grapes of Wrath out...
My guess is that restoration is a reason, perhaps they had the best the could get and set the release for June 6 and then discovered better elements, and had to start the restoration over? stranger things have happened. But I'm with Patrick, if its been delayed it is probably for quality/restoration reasons, a delay I have absolutely no problem with and actually encourage, because it could mean we could possibly be getting product along the quality lines of Criterion's Grand Illusion.

Adam

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Jon - BIG HAND FOR THE LITTLE LADY is a terrific and entertaining film with a fine twist ending, but I suspect it will be a long while before this surfaces on DVD. May have to copy it from a satellite broadcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks