Fox: "Song of Bernadette" on June 3, but where is "The Grapes of Wrath"???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Douglas R, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    DVD File say that Fox have announced The Song of Bernadette for June 3 as part of their Studio Classics series. I'm pleased that this superb film will be part of the extras-packed series but Fox had previously said Grapes of Wrath would be the June release. What's happened to Grapes of Wrath?

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Great - one of the few Studio Classics I want to buy may have been taken off the Studio Classics line (TGOW). I'll never get Sunrise.... [​IMG]

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    If you read the DVDFile article, there is no mentioned of a September classic release. Perhaps, "The Grapes of Wrath" is that month's title?

Douglas,
    If I may be so bold, I changed the title of this thread so that perhaps Fox can answer our concerns about "The Grapes of Wrath".

Crawdaddy

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'm looking at the "Sunrise" offer insert & it says that "The Grapes of Wrath" is scheduled for a 6/03/03 release. Apparently there may be multiple Studio Classic releases on that date just as there was on 1/14/03. Also "Titanic" is scheduled for 9/02/03.[​IMG]

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

any more news on Grapes of Wrath then, I really want to see that John Ford classic

[​IMG]

7. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Supporting Actor

The Grapes of Wrath is in my top-ten most wanted DVDs. I'm ok with it getting delayed, as long as it still comes out this year. *crosses fingers*

8. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

As a big John Ford fan I was very much looking forward to the release of The Grapes Of Wrath. I hope it is still on the schedule for this year. I would also like to know if My Darling Clementine is still on the schedule.

We need more films from the greatest (American) director ever on DVD. Please Fox, don't let us down.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It's too bad more members haven't responded to this thread asking for some information about this great film's release on dvd.[​IMG]

Crawdaddy

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Which film are speaking about Crawdaddy? Grapes or Bernadette? I know that Bernadette is coming & the "Sunrise" offer still says that Grapes is coming 6/3 unless someone has other info.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert

Jeff,
    At this time, most of the major on-line retailers have "The Song of Bernadette" up for preorder with a release date of 6/3/03. However, not one of them has "The Grapes of Wrath" available for preorder! The leaflet with the "Sunrise" promotion was printed months ago and I'm afraid that "The Grapes of Wrath" has been delayed, but for how long is the question I want answered.

Crawdaddy

12. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I guess perhaps only Fox knows for sure. We'll have to wait until their representative speaks.

13. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

This article by Robert A. Harris indicates that "The Grapes of Wrath" is still to be released on 6/3/03. [​IMG]

14. Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan Second Unit

Edward R. Moroughan
    I definitely want The Grapes of Wrath. It'd be my 3rd disc for the Sunrise offer. This is one of John Ford's best and in my eyes Henry Fonda's best ever. Now, where's my DVD? [​IMG]

15. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

As of this moment the Fox retailer information database lists every release in the Fox Studio Classics line that I show here, but Grapes of Wrath is nowhere in their system.

There doesn't look like there will be multiple releases on June 3rd. It looks like the info in the Sunrise booklet and which Mr. Harris wrote in his article is old information; sorry.

Unless clear and precise information comes along that tells me otherwise, I am going along with the idea that GoW has regretably been cancelled for 2003.

16. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Fox previously stated that the film needed restoration, so that's probably what is holding it up.

Given the great quality of the released Studio Classics, it'll probably be worth it. Of course, if you'd rather spend your money on laserdiscs-on-DVD without restoration just to get it now, that's your call.

18. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Let's just hope it was postponed for a very good reason that will also help to improve the quality of the disc when it is released.
    It's too bad though that it may not come this year, I was really looking forward to this film. Well, it stays on my pre-order list!

Cees

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It is still a possibility that Fox could release this disc later this year. In December, "The Ox-Bow Incident" is scheduled for release. Perhaps, Fox would release other Henry Fonda films that same month like "My Darling Clementine" and "The Grapes of Wrath" which other studios have done with other film stars. Until Fox issues an official press release, anything is possible so we can still be hopeful.

Crawdaddy

20. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

If I can only have one of the 3, I'd prefer it to be "My Darling Clementine".