What's new

Fox Set to Spin DVDs of NYPD Blue, Angel, X-Men, others (1 Viewer)

Steve_Com

Grip
Fox is preparing two high-profile TV series, three theatrical releases and the second special edition of "X-Men" for DVD release in February and March.

The studio, which has scored with DVD releases of TV faves "The Simpsons," "MASH," "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "The X-Files," will release the first season of "NYPD Blue" in a six-disc set March 18. The set will feature audio commentaries from producer/co-creator David Milch, director Brad Silberling and others.

Also on deck is a six-disc set of the first season of "Angel," which includes four featurettes and audio commentaries by co-creators Joss Whedon and David Greenwalt and writer Jane Espenson.

The three music-oriented theatrical releases coming to DVD are "The Banger Sisters" (Feb. 11); "Sordid Lives," a black comedy starring Olivia Newton-John, Beau Bridges and Delta Burke (Feb. 18); and "Brown Sugar" (Feb. 11), a romancer set against the rise of hip-hop.

And for those filmmakers and fans who can't get enough of "X-Men" (and for studio marketers looking to keep interest in the franchise high until "X-Men 2" is released in May), the new double-disc set of "X-Men 1.5" features an introduction and another audio commentary by director Bryan Singer; more deleted scenes and featurettes; and an optional enhanced viewing mode allowing the viewer to see and hear six deleted scenes and 17 behind-the-scenes featurettes while they watch the film.

The DVD, with a suggested retail price of $26.98, is a not-so-subtle promotional tool, with a sneak preview teaser for "X-Men 2" and a coupon worth up to $12 toward admission to "X-Men 2" or to "Daredevil," starring Ben Affleck.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You should really quote your sources! :)
Video Business article that not only mentions the 3/18 release of NYPD Blue Season 1, but also the 2/11 release of Angel Season 1. :emoji_thumbsup:
(Free registration is required to view the VB article)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Wow, great news about Angel if true. I wasn't expecting anything til after it's 5th season. Then I figured it would have to hit syndication for a for months first.

Ric

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I wish they'd announce Smallville but those damn music clearances. Cannot wait for the best season of Blue

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Acutally, I'd be shocked if Smallville wasn't already cleared. Only Fox is not caring about syndication on big shows, and they need to have their hands shaken and backs patted multiple times for it!

Jodee

Screenwriter
Damn, and I have already bought the Region 2 versions of Angel, Seasons 1 & 2.

I wonder what stuff on the US versions will be new?

I still haven't gotten through watching these discs.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
They'll probably be closely the same.

Smallville uses so much trendy music it makes me sick. It'd probably be more expensive to clear than ROSWELL. But Jeff's probably right, they're really working fast with getting shows ready for DVD these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they started clearing the rights for the songs since the beginning of the series.

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
TVshowsondvd.com is reporting that Angel season 1 will come to region 1 on Feb 11, 2003. I wasn't going to buy these and just stick with Buffy but having just finished up Buffy season 2 and watching season 6 and 7 on tv I am hooked and will just have to get this also. What is the correct order for watching Angel and Buffy, didn't Angel season 1 have several crossover episodes with Buffy season 4? If so it is going to be a long wait for Buffy season 4 in June or July.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Angel Season 1
Buffy Season 4
Watch them back to back. Episode 3 of both seasons are crossovers, as are episode 8 of both.
Episode 15, 16, 20 of Season 4 of Buffy -- Episode 18, 19 of Angel are also connected.
Season 5 of Buffy, and Season 2 of Angel had some crossovers too, but less. And season 3 of Angel was pretty much all by itself, as is Season 4.
God, that's confusing.
Not only are the crossovers there, but some of the characters from Buffy move over to Angel full time, and become regulars on that show too. :)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Robert, are you saying it would be a good idea to watch episode one of Buffy S4, followed by episdoe one of Angel S1? Or watch one season first, then the other? I finally started watching Angel this season (as I did Buffy last season) and have taken a huge liking to the show. I now want to see the origins (as I'm doing with Buffy).

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Like what you first said
Buffy - 4.01
Angel - 4.01
Buffy - 4.02
Angel - 4.02
Buffy - 4.03
Angel - 4.03
:) and so on.
Although, if Angel does end up coming out a couple months ahead of Buffy, it wouldn't hurt much to just watch the whole season. It doesn't lean on Buffy, but you don't get the full effect of each season unless they are viewed like this.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Here's the problem. They were originall shown back to back.

Buffy eps lead into Angel, and Angel eps lead into Buffy

An Angel ep leads into a Buffy Ep which leads into and Angel Ep with Sarah guest starring, The Spike appearance leads into Angel and back into Buffy, The Faith appearance leads into Angel as well.

So therefore, unless you have both sets in front of you, there is no "first"

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably buy the set of Angel week of release to get a lower price, but I think I'll let it sit in my collection until Buffy Season 4 streets. I'd like to stay in line with Joss' idea for the shows.

John Torrez

Second Unit
I will wait until season 4 of Buffy is out to watch Angel with it back to back. That said, how are they gonna handle the crossover episodes? Sometimes they were two hours long, right? Will they show up on the Buffy set, Angel or both? Also, anyone have a list of all the crossover episodes?

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
The key question is whether Angel is going to be presented in anamorphic widescreen?

Producer Tim Minear has confirmed that the show was filmed in this format from the start. When Fox announced that the UK season 1 DVD box-set would be 4x3 there was a big outcry, and thankfully from season 2 onwards the sets have been in widescreen.

Nevertheless many UK fans have been holding off in the hope that the US release might be in the proper widescreen, so fingers crossed!

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The crossovers weren't just one big show. They were limited to each series.

Here's an example

Buffy 4.03/Angel 4.03 is a crossover. The first half took place on Buffy, the second on Angel. Therefore, the crossovers were kept to each individual show. There won't be an angel episode appearing on the Buffy sets. In order to view the actual crossover, you'd have to get each set, and watch both episodes.

Buffy 4.08/Angel 4.08 is another example of a crossover episode where the whole story is taken from Buffy over to Angel. But those "2 hour event" crossovers were actually just one episode of Buffy and one episode of Angel that were related. It wasn't like a movie or anything.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think the reason was that there were no widescreen masters created. So if they are in fact going to be widescreen, they'd have to go back to the original film source and make widescreen masters... They usually use the broadcast masters, so I doubt it'll be in widescreen, but here's hoping.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the problem. They were originally shown back to back. Buffy eps lead into Angel, and Angel eps lead into Buffy
Jeff (or someone in the know), for those of us who have yet to see any of these episodes, would you be able to post the correct viewing order for both Angel Season 1 and Buffy Season 4?

(I'd think I'll let the Angel box sit on my shelf as well and watch it when Buffy 4 comes out)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks