Fox releasing Westerns, Sinatra and other classics in Late May.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by FrankXS, Feb 5, 2005.

1. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

For you Fox DVD fans, Movies Unlimited is advertising Drums Along the Mohawk, Buffalo Bill, Broken Lance, Warlock, Forty Guns and In Old Arizona as being released the last of May. For those of you who don't know In Old Arizona, it was made in 1928/29 and won an Academy Award for Warner Baxter who later told Ruby Keeler to go out on the stage and come back a star in 42nd Street.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  3. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Supporting Actor

Yes!!! It seems that Fox is finally getting deep into its classic catalogue. All of them must buy, specially, in my opinion, Drums and Buffalo Bill (Maureen O'Hara and Linda Darnell in the same picure and in Technicolor!!!)

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Drums gets silly at times (the idiotic Indian/bed scene, for example), but it's pretty good overall. And, there are so very few American Revolution movies that I have to pick it up.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert

Actually, it's the French and Indian War, a war that George Washington fought in on the side of the British.

Crawdaddy

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Yeah, another Sam Fuller flick to add to my collection!

Glad I didnt dip for that R2 edition of Forty Guns!

I'll definitely be picking up "Drums Along The Mohawk" as well, but is "Buffalo Bill" worth a blind buy to fans of westerns?

It doesn't have the greatest reviews at Amazon's video site but it was directed by William Wellman who's made some incredible films along with a handfull of second-rate stints...

Any opinions?

7. Robert Crawford

Robert

It's a good western that's been a favorite of mine since childhood. A beautifully filmed movie in Technicolor with two of the most attractive actresses ever captured on film. Some good action, though historically inaccurate, but a fun film.

Crawdaddy

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Robert, I might actually head out to the rental store for the first time in over a year to check this one out... or maybe I'll just wait for the cover art, I'm always a sucker for that! [​IMG]

9. Greg_S_H

Greg

No, it's not. It's the Revolution. The movie starts out before the war begins, but the war is soon joined. Besides having seen the movie a couple times, I have the novel. The timeline there is from '76-'84, over ten years after the French and Indian War concluded.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert

You're right and I stand corrected. Memory lapse on my part about the timeline of 1776.

Crawdaddy

11. Greg_S_H

Greg
    No problem. Sorry if my post came off as a bit abrasive. It looks that way rereading it. In any case, I'll check out Buffalo Bill. It's not one I am familiar with.

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Maltins guide says Buffalo Bill is fun but should have been much better.
    i'm not familiar with the film but Linda Darnell + technicolor = blind buy for me.
    Darnell fans have been pretty fortunate to see most of her best films already released so far.
    the only ones i need now are Forever Amber and Blood and Sand
    -and the only way to beat Darnell and O'Hara in technicolor i can see, would be Darnell and Hayworth in technicolor [​IMG]

fwiw, the Maltin guide also says that Warlock is forgetten but worthy of rediscovery; a philosophical adult western.
    another one i haven't seen yet, but now plan to.

thats a pretty substantial line-up. lottsa good stuff.

13. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    I'm there for every single one, but especially Mr Ford...I'm ever so slightly disappointed that Criterion aren't doing Drums Along The Mohawk as part of their rumoured John Ford line-up.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert

Don't worry about it, since it was my memory that got foggy. After your post that corrected me, the little light bulb in my head came on and I then recalled how the film opened with 1776 in big letters just before their wedding.[​IMG]

Word of caution about Maltin, the reviews posted in his book comes from various reviewers, who's taste in film might not match yours. It's a guide not the bible on what you might consider a good film.

Crawdaddy

15. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

This is exciting yet also frustrating news. In a recent thread, I complained that almost all these titles were about to be released only in the UK> Now its seems they will all be out here except the real biggie for me-
    Garden of evil - any word about this title???

16. RafaelPires

Paul, wouldn't you like to see Centennial Summer on dvd as well? I'd surely do. I also would like to watch Stardust, a movie I have never seem.

17. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    Great news....but where is "GARDEN OF EVIL?

18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Everytime, a studio releases a number of dvds from a particular genre, we get the same questions about where is such and such title. Hopefully, in time everybody will eventually get their favorite films on dvd.

Crawdaddy

19. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Jeanne Crain and Darnell? hmmm.
    haven't seen Centenial Summer, Rafael, but i'll keep an eye out for it in the future.
    i think i may have caught Stardust years ago when AMC used to actually be good, but can't recall the film making much of an impression.
    yeah i wouldn't mind seeing that too, but that seems to be such a 'minor' catalog title that i would be very surprised to see a release...at least not before the format is on its last legs.

for me, the big ones for Darnell are My Darling Clementine, Mark Of Zorro and A Letter To Three Wives.
    all 4 star movies in my book.
    Blood & Sand i liked quite a bit too the last time i saw it, and there are some very iconic shots of Hayworth in it, with that blazing red hair.
    i don't know if its as solid a film as the other three though.
    Forever Amber is another imperfect but lush technicolor costumer, but this time its Darnells show all the way (although i don't think blonde is a look that works all that well for her).

20. RafaelPires

Paul I agree with you, I would be very surprised to see Stardust released on dvd, since its a minor film from Fox, that was never released on home video.
    And I also love Forever Amber, a movie that,in m opinion, proved that Darnell could hold an entire movie on her own, and with great acting hability. A Shame that the picture flopped at the box office.
    For Blood and Sand, a great movie too, but I don't think did that much for Darnell, but most for Hayworth, in that vamp role and beautifully photographed in Technicolor.