What's new

Fox releasing The Other, Pretty Poison & Shock Treatment on 09-05-06 (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great to finally see the Other released. I waited forever for a Laserdisc release too.
I can ditto what Dick said about the film and add that is truly one of the most overlooked and underrated horror films out there. Recommended for those who like creepy, atmospheric and psychological horror films.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
About the OTHER.....not to give anything away, but this creeps the bejeesus out of me!!

What (unintentionally) helps the unnerving atmosphere is that it looks like an episode of "The Waltons" with some very dark dark things happening under the surface.

I'm looking forward to this one, even though I always find that the run-up to the climax is so dark and distasteful that I can't really bear to contemplate it, let alone watch.

:shivers:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Concerning THE OTHER....not to give anything away, but this creeps the bejeesus out of me!!

What (unintentionally) helps the unnerving atmosphere is that it looks like an episode of "The Waltons" with some very dark dark things happening under the surface.

I'm looking forward to this one, even though I always find that the run-up to the climax is so dark and distasteful that I can't really bear to contemplate it, let alone watch.

:shivers:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

According to DVD Active:

Fox Home Entertainment has sent over details on the release of the 1972 thriller The Other, which will be available on September 5th at a retail price of around $14.98. The film tells the story of twin 12-year-old boys, Niles and Holland, who like to get into mischief. The only problem is when Holland gets into mischief, people have a funny way of "accidentally" dying. Niles knows that Holland is responsible for all the gruesome accidents happening in the neighborhood, but dare not tell anyone, not even his beloved grandmother Ada (Uta Hagen), that Holland is the evil twin...or is he? The movie wil be presented on DVD with an anamorphic 1.85:1 transfer along with a Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo Surround track in English and Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono tracks in English, French, and Spanish along with optional Spanish subtitles. There doesn't seem to be any extras included, but we'll let you know if that changes.

Art at that link.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
If they're smart, they'll get Diana Mulduar to do a commentary- she's an intelligent woman and probably has a lot of stories to tell about the film!

John H Ross

Screenwriter
YAY!! Great film (awesome ending) and tremendous score. And ditto the request for The Mephisto Waltz (also Goldsmith)!!

John

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Perhaps next year we'll get THE UNDYING MONSTER or TALES FROM THE CRYPT.

Good news on PRETTY POISON though.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
2 more titles are being released from Fox on September 5th - House Of The Damned (1963) and Night Train to Paris (1964). Both are available for pre-order on Amazon and Deep Discount DVD.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
So, it is available today? I'm confused. Amazon is showing the release date as October 17th, but then the same thing happened with The Last Voyage. Amazon has that listed as 10/24 and I picked it up two weeks ago. Weird.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
From what I can tell (from the reviews), the American release of Pretty Poison does not retain the commentary that is on the British disc from Second Sight. Can anyone confirm?

Can anyone compare the transfers? (DVD Beaver says they might do this)

If the Fox release is significantly better, I would probably double dip on this one.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
re The Other...

I'm a big, BIG fan of this film and haven't seen it in over 15 years. Just picked it up at Circuit City for $10.99. Best Buy online indicates the October release date @ $9.99. Didn't check to see if it's in the stores, tho...

A note on the packaging:

Do not - I repeat - DO NOT read the summary on the back cover. Big spoilers! What were they thinking?! Even the front cover graphic gives something away!

WadeM

Supporting Actor
for The Other, Best Buy & Border's didn't have it in the store. DVD Empire had it available when I left work, but by time I got home it's already out of stock.. Looks like everyone else has to wait until 10/17.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Just finished watching The Other. What a revelation! While the print is not pristine, the transfer is remarkably vibrant and sharp (in a good way), and makes for a very satisfying image on a large screen. The opening shot - which IIRC includes an optical effect (a fade-in), plus a filter on the lens - is understandably soft and murky, but the visuals clear up soon thereafter. It was truly a shock to see The Other look this good (the way Robert Surtees' photography should) after all those TV reruns over the years.

Audio was fine, but unremarkable. There is a stereo option I didn't care for - sounded processed and a bit out of phase. I stuck with the original mono (in DD 2.0) and wasn't disappointed.

As for the film - amazing! Still holds up wonderfully, and it's still one disturbing tale. A true "horror" film, as opposed to a scary movie - filled with dread, mood, and some damn fine acting all around. Even more disturbing in reflection and with each viewing.

I envy those who will be viewing The Other for the first time...

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I just got done watching Pretty Poison, and I have just one question -- what is the deal with the previews that play when you pop the disc in? Instead of the normal assortment of upcoming theatrical and DVD releases, they chose three random thrillers from the Fox library -- Black Widow (1987), Blood & Wine (1996), and High Crimes (2002). When the Black Widow trailer started, I wondered if that was something that had been included when the film was released on VHS.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Pretty Poison was never previously released on VHS, or any home video format in the U.S., for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks