Fox releasing The Innocents on 09/06/05

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Crawford, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Some of us have been calling for this title and it appears that Fox was listening. I can't believe they're releasing Dressed to Kill. I've only seen this Lloyd Nolan picture once many years ago and I can't wait to see it again because I don't think it's ever been on any video format before. Also, another dvd release of the original House on the Haunted Hill another favorite from my youth.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I recently recieved the Australian DVD, which has an excellent anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer, but no substantial extras. I get the feeling that the Fox R1 edition will also be bare bones and have a similar transfer, though NTSC, obviously (the Australian transfer may even have been made from the NTSC master, converted to PAL and we will probably see a UK release by the end of the year, allegedly from the British Film Institute).

Still, great news for many, many people, who have waited a long, long time to see this amazing film on DVD.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert

I'm confused by this announcement, since this title belonged to Warner and I have the original dvd in my hand at this time.

4. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    HOUSE will be colorized and it appears DRESSED TO KILL is a typo and will actually be a colorized version of the Holmes film.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert

Are you sure? How did Fox get the rights to both films since House belongs to Warner and Dressed to Kill was a Universal title that MPI released on dvd last year?

Crawdaddy

6. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Both are public domain. These titles have been released by dozens of companies including Brentwood, Alpha, Diamond, Madacy and several others.

It is VERY silly to release these films when, as you said, MPI released a great copy of DRESSED and Warner released the best HOUSE. From the other thread, it appears both will be colorized with that MST3K type commentary. [​IMG]

7. Jae_E

Jae_E Agent

Here's the same announcement from DVD Drive-In which reads somewhat differently:

Fox Home Entertainment has just announced its slate of Halloween DVDs, and it’s a mixed bag to say the least, so don’t shoot the messenger! September 9 will see the release of THE CABINET OF CALIGARI (the 1962 version), Freddie Francis’ THE DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS, DRESSED TO KILL (1941), THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (yes, another disc of the 1958 Vincent Price favorite, and we’re assuming this version has been colorized!), the long awaited release of Jack Clayton’s THE INNOCENTS, KILLER TOMATOES EAT FRANCE!, KILLER TOMATOES STRIKE BACK, THE OMEN 4: THE AWAKENING, SHERLOCK HOLMES: PRELUDE TO MURDER (1946) and TERROR BY NIGHT (1946). All titles will retail for $14.98 each.

They're listing 2 different "Dressed to Kill" titles, as "Prelude to Murder" is an alternate title for the 1946 Universal Holmes flick.

8. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

BOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I've been waiting for the Innocents since the DVD format came around. Good news.

10. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

It's funny that I was just lamenting to myself just a few days ago about the lack of catalog announcements for Aug.

All of a sudden there's a literal deluge of must-have titles announced in just a few days The Innocents, Universal's Hammer collection, Universal's Lugosi set, The Sting SE, The Deer Hunter SE, Miracle on Morgans Creek, etc. [​IMG]

I expect Warner to announce The Val Lewton Set fairly soon if they're planning to get it on the shelves before Halloween.

11. Derek Estes

Derek Estes Stunt Coordinator

Finally The Innocents on DVD. I hope this DVD release is worth the wait!

12. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

[c][​IMG]

(click on image to enlarge)[/c]

13. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Yeesh. Why does only Warners get it right? Original poster art, people. It's the movie that counts, though, and thanks for showing us the cover, Nils. I'll admit that the poster isn't my favorite, though:

[​IMG]

The ghosty swooshy thing is kind of neat, I suppose.

More posters here, and they are both pretty good:

http://www.moviegoods.com/movie_prod...ovie%5Fid=1137

14. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    You wanna see something really campy and over-the-top? Check out the trailer for THE INNOCENTS, if the DVD includes it (the laser disc did). It is so-o-o bad!! A horribly melodramatic voice-over asks, "Do they ever return to possess the living...?" using an echo chamber and truly awful line readings. I've rarely seen a trailer from this era almost make me NOT want to see the movie. Glad I did, though.

15. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Those original posters are pretty lame, actually. The R4 artwork is very good, I feel:

[​IMG]

Great, great film. Really gets under the skin. Very disturbing for 1961. Pity that Fox couldn't have licensed this one to Criterion. It deserves more than just the trailer.

16. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

The Innocents is by far the class of this bunch. Other than that, this is a mediocre bunch of releases. As a matter of fact, it looks more like the release schedule of a company you never heard of rather than the release schedule of a major studio. Fox certainly wants to compete for the worst studio for dvds. Look at what Anchor Bay did with Race with the Devil which was originally a Fox release. Shame The Innocents couldn't escape Fox's clutches as well.

17. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Fantastic film, still one of the most frightening 'ghost' stories put on film. Try watching this on your own in the dead of night, with the lights dimmed... brrr! [​IMG]

Can't wait for the dvd, I only wish it got the 2-disc special edition treatment.

18. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Was waiting for it since 1997 (when in February I bought my very last VHS-tape - indeed The Innocents - in Orlando, Fl) for it to come out on DVD.

Just ordered this one. [​IMG]

Cees

19. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I can't believe they're not running this in the Studio Classics line with all the bells and whistles. This is one of THE best Fox films of the 1960s, and it's being released barebones?!? I'd be happy to swap this for Return to Peyton Place.

20. Alejandro

Alejandro Stunt Coordinator

Is it just me or the innocents cover art is trying to resemble the poster for The others?
    By the way, also a wonderful movie very much in owe of this classic.