Fox releasing "Man In The Gray Flannel Suit" on August 9th!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnPM, May 5, 2005.

1. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

According to Digital Bits, it's coming in August, and I for one could'nt be happier. What a great picture!

2. Dave S.G.

Dave S.G. Stunt Coordinator

David
    [​IMG]

Been waiting quite awhile for this. Thanks for the tip.

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

cool!
    i was just thinking about this movie the other day-
    looking forward to it.

4. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Glad this announced - is this part of the studio classics? Are other titles coming with this.
    only asking cuz all of the oldies that Fox has announced will be out by the end of the month and nothing has been announced recently for studio classics, musicals, catalog titles etc.

5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Original thread of this post incorporated into this one by moderator - CA.

Digital Bits has reported "The Man In The Grey Flannel Suit" with Gregory Peck and Jennifer Jones being released from Fox on 8/9.
    Is this a Studio Classic release or are there any other catalogue releases with this one?

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Looking at the MSRP, I think it's a Studio Classic.

Crawdaddy

7. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Sloan Wilson's huge 50's best seller was re-issued a couple of years ago in the aftermath of the Enron scandals to contrast the ethics of 1950s corporate America with that of the 21st century. I suggest that FLANNEL would make a great dvd double feature with the recent release of the movie version of Rod Serling's PATTERNS.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I am thrilled that this title is arriving. Great news!

9. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I'm hoping it's a studio classic. I'll be picking it up either way.

10. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Shouldn't there be additional titles if it is a "Studio Classic"?

11. RyanZ

RyanZ Stunt Coordinator

Wow! This is great news. "The Motion Picture That May Very Well Be THE VERY GREATEST" is coming to DVD. Lets all hope that is holds up to the other fine Studio Classics.

Marisa Pavan and Gigi Perreau are still alive. I wonder if they participated in a commentary. I know Jennifer Jones would not since she no longer discusses her film career.

12. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

The FOX website lists only The Man In The Grey Flannel Suit, but it is part of Studio Classic collection. They will probably announce 2 more very soon.

13. Geremia P.

Geremia P. Stunt Coordinator

Ooh! I've only seen this one panned & scanned on AMC... can't wait.

14. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    I LOVE IT!

This is such a great movie. I never miss it if it's on TV, and I can't wait for it to be on DVD now.

ORIGINAL STEREO TRACKS FOX PLEASE!!!

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    since no one has actualy talked about what the film is about, and i didnt know what it was about i looked on imdb and even they dont have muh listed there.

"Other reviewers have commented that this film is too long, boring, and some have noted that the director was an unknown and incapable. Nothing could be further from the truth, Nunnally Johnson has written, directed and produced many significant films, including the Oscar winning, Three Faces of Eve.

This film's use of subtlety, colors, light and its development of the characters is so powerful that the film leaves its viewer, even today, with an overwhelming feeling of regret. Regret for wasting life on work, worry and the pursuit of happiness, in lieu of actual happiness.

The purpose of a great film is not to entertain, but to evoke emotions that live inside us, but are rarely accessed. This film is one of the greats, for its uncanny ability to, in a timeless way, draw out the futility of modern capitalist life without being obvious or overpowering. You just feel bad, and that's good."

can someone talk about tthis alittle more in depth?

16. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Awesome! Now I can clear a little room on my DVR... [​IMG]

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Tony,
    I'm not going to go in-depth about this film because it's more of a subject matter for Movies and for those that haven't seen the film, I wouldn't want to spoil their first viewing of it. However, I will tell you the film is about life choices and how the principal characters in the film deal with them. Peck, who is the main character is a decent family man trying to make ends meet for his wife and children. He doesn't make a lot of money to support his family like he would like to, so he explores an opportunity to work for a large corporation in order to increase his income. With this opportunity he enters the corporate world in which you have to make some hard choices that could be detrimental to your own principals and the quality of time you spend with your family. Fredric March plays the corporate head he works for, who has made some life choices long ago that's negatively affecting his life today.

Anyhow, the film focuses on Peck's character making some life choices while still dealing with some personal demons of his own due to his wartime experiences during WWII. The film does go back in time to show that portion of his life and how some of those experiences, years ago are still influencing his life and marriage today. By the way, Jennifer Jones plays his wife and the film focuses on their marital problems and resolution to those problems.

In a nutshell, the film is basically about the quality of life, one chooses for himself and how those choices could influence the personal relationships closest to you.

This is an excellent film and some of the material is still topical today.

Crawdaddy

18. Dave S.G.

Dave S.G. Stunt Coordinator

David
    If it's a Fox Studio Classics release that implies it won't be barebones, yeah? That'd be great. I'd love a commentary, even if its academic and has no cast/crew. My girlfriend showed me this movie about two years ago on a P&S video she taped off of tv broadcast in the late-80s. I'd forgotten what it was like to fast-forward through commercials (and forgot how big hair was back then).

Be forewarned that it gives a way a bit more that it should, but there's a brief summary at ttp://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=A31177. I'm pasting below the review from the same site(it's spoiler-free) (if this is a no-no, please let me know and I'll remove it):

"If the passage of time has blunted the edge of The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit, it still holds more than enough rewards to bear watching. Chief among these is Gregory Peck's sterling performance in the title role. Peck was a tremendous talent but in some ways limited; there was a stolidness, sometimes a stodginess to his persona that got in the way of making him totally believable when he tried to stretch himself too much. That's not a problem here, as the role fits him as if it had been tailor-made for him. Peck's particular brilliance lies in the quiet strength that is so much a part of him and the way in which he uses subtle changes in that quietness to signal mammoth emotions. He's given ample opportunity to do so here, and the results are enthralling. Although co-star Jennifer Jones is disappointing (a fact that mars the effectiveness of the film), he gets extremely solid support from Marisa Pavan, Fredric March, Lee J. Cobb, Keenan Wynn, and just about everyone else in the film. (There's particularly fine work from Ann Harding, who seems especially in tune with the Peck manner of acting.) There's also some brilliant dialogue and character sketching from Nunnally Johnson, who also directs with a sure hand. Unfortunately, there are also a few sections where the screenplay stacks the deck a little too obviously, and when the tone gets a little preachy; it's also undeniable that a good 20 minutes could and should have been chopped away. That said, Flannel is still a powerful film with an exceptional performance from its star." — Craig Butler, All Movie Guide

19. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I'm not familiar with this title, but after all of the glowing reviews by fellow HTFers this is definitely going on my "To Buy" list. I don't think that I've seen a Peck movie yet that I didn't like, so it's a fair guess that this will be good also, and the subject sounds very intriguing.

This sounds like the ideal title to include a biography episode on Peck.

20. Perry L William

I can't wait to hear the soundtrack which was produced by Bernhard Hermann. I hope fox continues to release CinemaScope classics. I can't wait for "Black Widow", "The left hand of God", "In Love and War", "23 Paces to Baker Street".