Fox pulls Super Bowl HD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rik P, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

I just read on another HD forum that FOX decided not to air Super Bowl in HD?
    Can any one confirm this?

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

FOX never said they were going to do the game in HD. FOX has been against the 1080i or 720p HD standard and has never transmitted higher quality than 480p. There has been speculation that some other HD oriented organization (i.e. HDNET) might pick up the game and broadcast it in true HD since they have some sort of relationship with Fox Sports. But, this is completely a rumor and fabrication at this point. My personal opinion is that the super bowl will not be in HD this year.
    SMK

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I do not think that Fox has ever aired any program in HD. Most of us football fans with HD capabilities have resigned ourselves to there being no HD Super Bowl broadcast this year.
    There is an excellent chance that CBS will televise some of the AFC playoffs in HD, though. It's not the Super Bowl, but it's better than nothing.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

4. MickB

MickB Agent

If I was in charge of the FCC I would be hitting Fox with big fines for not broadcasting in 1080i/720p.

5. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

6. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

If the SB picture quality is as poor as last years NFC playoff games, I'll be listening on the radio.
    Frank

7. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

Well, no more Super Bowl Party sure as heck not going to show standard broadcast on my new HDTV. [​IMG]
    I sent FOX an email letting them know how disapointed i was.
    I know more HDTVs will be under the Tree this year and the first thing most people well say is "WOW! now we can watch the Super Bowl in High Definition!!." (only to be shot down later) . At least that would be the first thing that popped in my head.
    Not to mention all the TV sales guys that look forward to the "Super Bowl Big Screen Sale". I can see people coming in saying i want my money back "The game looked better on my old 25 year old Zenith" leaving the sales guy without a leg to stand on. (of course he could go and try explaining that game was not broadcasted in 1080i or 720p this year.)
    "1080 what...?"
    Oh well, maybe next year

8. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

The attitude of Fox towards HD (which stems from Rupert Murdoch) is the main reason I'm glad they didn't buy DirectTV.
    ------------------

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer