Fox: Please offer a special X-Files collection for seasons 8 & 9

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Simon, Jul 30, 2002.

1. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

I never thought the day would come, but I'm actually asking a studio to release a "Best Of" collection of a television show. Read on to find out why...

I'm a huge fan of The X-Files. I started watching the show in the fourth season, and I watched it religiously. I bought every episode that was released on VHS, and I taped reruns of the rest. Once the DVD boxsets started coming, I gathered every cent I had to buy all the great episodes of the television series. I realized this was my chance to own every episode of one of television's best dramas.

But something unexpected happened. While many critics noted a decline in quality started in the sixth season, it still had a storyline that engaged viewers every week. But that all changed in the eighth season. David Duchovny left after the seventh season, and suddenly the once-unbeatable drama began to lose its focus. The introduction of new characters and a mythology that suddenly changed its direction every month showed that even great shows eventually decline. The decline in quality is clearly visible by the dramatic decline in viewership during the shows last two seasons.

This is not to say, however, that those seasons were completely without merit. The relationship between Fox Mulder and Dana Scully finally became a romantic one, and the two hour finale finally answered some of the series most intriguing questions.

So what is my point, you ask? I would ask Fox to release a "Best Of" collection for the 8th and 9th seasons. I can see them perhaps each including 8 episodes and the same bonus features as the complete seasons. They could be 3-disc sets, with an SRP hopefully about 1/3 to 1/2 of the complete seasons. The episodes could be chosen by either an online vote or Chris Carter could simply select those episodes which he felt conveyed the essence of those seasons.

Box sets such as these would benefit both Fox and the consumers: From discussions with many other X-Files fans, I'm willing to bet there will be major drop-offs in sales numbers for the last 2 seasons. Therefore, Fox has the oppurtunity to still capture revenue from the majority of the buyers of the earlier seasons. The fans would then be able to own the last few episodes of this series without having to pay for episodes that truly failed to live up to their expectations. It also allows them to have the full story of the series without the distractions provided by those last two seasons.

As stated above, I believe this concept would GREATLY benefit both Fox and fans, and I hope that it is strongly considered by Fox. And for all those fans out there that agree, I'd ask you to sign this petition. This is obviously not a sign that "Best Of" sets are always preferred normally, but this seems to present extraordinary circumstances for an extraordinary show.

2. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Well, in the UK we already have 'Best of Releases' for these seasons: the two part 'mythology' episodes are released as 'mini-movies', such as 'DeadAlive' and 'Existence' etc.

But I would still rather see complete seasons released. I rather like the new characters and while I admit the direction of the show was - shall we say - uneven, I still found much to enjoy in these episodes.

So I would ask Fox to follow the UK model - continue with the superb season sets, but release the two-parters on individual discs for those who want them.

3. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't object to "Best of sets" being made available as long as the Full season sets were still made available too. One of the major problems of "Best of" sets is that other peoples "Best of" lists don't necessarily coincide in what I consider my "Best Of" list.

To me release all the full season sets first, then release "Best Of" sets for those who don't want all the episodes.

Greg

4. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Here's my view:
    I began watching the X-Files before many people knew what the x-files was: the very first season. That being said I would still prefer the entire Season sets for 8 & 9. I never purchased any episodes until they were put into Season sets. Just my 2 cents

5. Megan_A_D

Megan_A_D Stunt Coordinator

I could care LESS how else studios released the episodes as long as they put out a season set FIRST

6. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

No way would I support "Best Of" sets for season's 8 and 9. If you don't like the last two seasons, thats your problem. I happend to think there are alot of very good Mulderless episodes in the last two seasons!

Season sets only!

7. James Reader

I probably wasn't clear in my initial post.

In the UK we have complete season sets (admittedly about 6 months behind the R1 releases) AND 'best of episodes' released. Much like we do with the Simpsons.

I don't see why Fox in America can't do the same. Everybody wins!

8. EricCr

EricCr Stunt Coordinator

I think that this could end up giving studios bad information. What happens if they do release both season sets and best of for x-files and the best of sells better? They might decide that "oh, people liked the best of set more, lets only do those from now on for all shows."
    Using another show as an example many people did not care for the latest season of Buffy, but I really enjoyed it and would be very mad if only best of sets came out. Just because the majority feels a particular way that is not always the better way. If studios gave in and only did what the majority wanted widescreen would be dead and all movies would be "family friendly". They would also run the risk of confusing the consumer if they did both, I have seen many people pick up the Friends best of sets and when I pointed out to them that it was not a full season they quickly put it back and got the full sets. Most people really don't read packaging all that close and just grab what they see first or is more readily available.

9. James Reader

So EricCr, what you're saying the the average British consumer is more intelligent than the average American consumer?

Do you really think people will think a single disc release is the same as a complete season? Not only are the season sets considerably thicker, but they are considerably more expensive too.

Besides duel releases are working in the considerably much smaller UK market. Fox in the UK still obviously consider it worthwhile to still produce the season sets, and they have the added complication of a considerable number of their consumer base importing the R1 season sets and not buying the R2 sets.

It shouldn't confuse either the public or the studios. Some people buy the 'mini-movies' because they are only interested in the mythology episodes, some but them because they can't wait and some pass on them and wait for the season sets.

I really think you are over analysing this.

People will always want to buy the season sets. Some people will buy the single releases and the season sets. The people who buy the single releases would probably not bought the later season sets anyway - after all they are rather pricey.

10. EricCr

EricCr Stunt Coordinator

I was not referring to the single disc releases that you are talking about. Over here the Friends best of gift sets are about the same size as the season sets, use a very similar package design and when they first came out were about, going off the top of my head, $40 a piece and contained several discs. So yes in that case some people, the wal-mart crowd, might grad the wrong one. In the UK split season releases followed by full seasons sets have been done on VHS and DVD for some time and have done well together. The public has become familiar with them and expects most shows to come out this way. In the US only ADV with Farscape and Andromeda as far as I know have tried this release schedule. I was only trying to say that knowing the studios it would not be to long until they decided that best of's and only those were more cost effective. As Fox has shown with getting rid of 2-disc sets in favor of movie only editions, they don't like to have what could be considered redundant product on store shelves. I agree that if both came out they would have an audiance for them but I just worry that the studios would give up on the more pricey sets that probably would sell smaller numbers. As far as UK customers being more informed, well just look at the number of widescreen tvs sold in the UK over US and the huge fight in the US we have over full screen vs. widescreen for your answer to that.