What's new

Fox: Please don't abandon Mary Tyler Moore Show! (1 Viewer)

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
MASH is a good example. I hate MASH, but, I acknowledge that it is a classic. It is still rerun on television, and the DVD's sell well. MASH has been popular since it left the air. In other words, it has continuously remained in the public view which requires ratings. Mary Tyler Moore just has not made the grade for classic status. This does not mean that it is a bad show. It just means that it is not a classic.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I say again, classic status has to do with more than popularity. If it was just about continued popularity, there's a lot of crap that could be considered "classic." A "classic" is also something with enduring significance and influence. The Mary Tyler Moore Show is still influencing TV sitcoms today, and is still the standard by which critics judge TV sitcoms. That's a classic.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Why are you saying this again? I have already stated that popularity over a lengthy period of time is ONE of a number of criteria. So, your restating this point accomplishes nothing. You are arguing a point I never made. The original point I disputed was that a show could become classic without being popular. You fail to address that point. So, I am asking flat out. Do you acknowledge that popularity must be one of many criteria in achieving classic status?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well you didn't ask me :), but I'll put in my two cents.
Popularity is no doubt one factor, but I don't believe it's necessary. It is certainly harder to become a classic without it, and, of course, we can argue til the cows come home about the definition of popular.
One possible example is WKRP in Cincinnati. This was certainly never anywhere near as popular as MTM, but I'd easily consider it a classic.
It's actually easier for me to think of examples from music, but I don't see why those shouldn't count. The Velvet Underground & Nico, The Modern Lovers, Marquee Moon - Television are just three examples of albums that were never popular, but are certainly considered classics.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MTM is not a classic because it wasn't popular after it's run. I don't agree with that statement, furthermore, I really didn't become a fan of MTM until after it's run was completed and I used to watch the show in syndication for years. It wasn't until then that I realized what I missed during it's initial run on CBS.

Crawdaddy

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Funny how this whole subject of MTM continuing on DVD has turned into a My show is better than yours forum.
Everyone can have their favorite but MTM has and will survive the test of time. Hell, look at all the Emmys it won.
Friends is no where as memorable or as well written. Sure its new and the younger fans are more familiar with it and therefore will go out and buy it and MTM suffers from not being shown enough and the young people not being as familiar with it. They may think its stodgy and not as good because there arent allot of young people in it but that doesnt make Friends a better show.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Friends sells well because it is a great show that will one day be a classic. Mary Tyler Moore was a good show which just no longer has much appeal
Friends sells well because it is a newer show. It's also popular with the 18-35 yr old demographic that studios try to appeal to.

MTM sold poorly because, IMO, it was not advertised & FOX was selling the disc for way to much. $40 is a lot for a 1970's show because 1970's shows such as All In The Family, Sanford & Son, etc are selling for way below what MTM was selling for. If FOX wants MTM to sell more copies, FOX needs to lower the prices to what the other 1970's shows are selling for. The reason why shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, etc are selling lots of copies for $40+ dollars is that these shows appeal to the 18-35 yr old demographics that studios try to appeal to.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Which show is better is subjective in my opinion. Sure I like Friends but I think MTM had better writing and was a groundbreaker for the time.Plus the Emmys wins were no fluke. I dont think there were allot of ensemble comedies around then so I think MTM was the first of that type of show and we have had many after that including WKRP, Taxi, Cheers and even "Friends."
I think its safe to assume that without MTM we may not have Friends.

As far as the advertisements for MTM on DVD. I didnt see any on TV or in Magazines advertisements.
How about relaunching season one saying the second season coming soon and drop the price.
I think its horrible that we may not to collect the rest of this classic show.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
I don't care to joint the debate about what constitutes a classic, but I hope they will choose to continue with the MTM series. I liked it then; I like it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks