Fox: Please don't abandon Mary Tyler Moore Show!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MatthewA, Dec 3, 2002.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I heard that you said sales were "disappointing." This not only means you will probably not finish this series, but not even think about other classic series on DVD.

Please reconsider. Maybe word of mouth will pick up. Or perhaps the edit on the Christmas episode turned people off.

I am quickly losing my faith in humanity for reasons I cannot talk about on HTF, and this is not helping.

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    People will buy "Friends" for $60 but they won't buy "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" for $50. Look me in the eye and tell me which is the better value, in terms of content.

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'm disappointed that the two shows that I loved the most appear to be tied to the rise or fall of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". Those shows being "Hill Street Blues" & "St Elsewhere"! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I love those shows, too.
    If God was truly good, how could he let this happen? [​IMG]

6. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Well Matthew, perhaps a mircle will occur. A couple of years ago Columbia House was releasing "Hill Street Blues" on VHS. But they suddenly stopped after about 10 tapes & cancelled any further releases. I was really bummed!

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I no longer believe in miracles. I believe this country is the greatest in the world, but its people have no taste.

Do you know what? The American people DO NOT DESERVE quality television if they won't buy a classic like MTM at a reasonable price, but will buy "Friends" and other abortions even if they were overcharged for them.

Could they try advertising these sets on NETWORK television per chance? In PRIME TIME? Maybe that would create more awareness that these things EXIST!

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

There's only so much money in the studio's marketing department, Matthew. Ad space on prime-time television is expensive. Mr. Staddon didn't say the rest of the series sets were being cancelled. Hold tight.

9. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Okay. I will wait and see what happens. But they have dashed any hopes I had of any other TV series.

Of course, I did see NO advertising of the MTM discs anywhere. Not in print or on any TV outlet. I did for M*A*S*H, though.

10. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

I was not shocked that MTM:s1 sales were 'disappointing'. I don't think that they did their research.
    The xmas snip turned some off to buying it, and the show really doesn't appeal to the "gotta own it" dvd collecting crowd.
    You don't have to look any further than this forum to know that DVD sets are for the 'collectors'; and Home Theater 'geeks' are primarily male. Mary Tyler Moore's audience today (the market for reruns and dvd sales) is primarily older women. MTM lacks the "universal timeless and cross gender appeal" that Get Smart, Gilligan's Island, Brady Bunch and Beverly Hillbillies have.
    Did Fox go over any Neilsen ratings for any recent MTM airings? They probably would've found their answer right there.
    Fox shouldn't drag their feet too long on more recent series like Millennium, Roswell (and The Lone Gunmen?). Even though they wern't collosal ratings successes, The audience for the sci-fi tv genre is BIG into buying DVD.
    Because they don't have dates to spend money on? [​IMG]

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

12. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I may not buy the last 2 seasons either.

13. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

I'm interested in MTM, but it's a financial decision. We're talking about $350 list on top of the $1,000 for X-Files and $700 for ST:TNG. I also bought S1 "24". I think if Fox released MTM more at the Sanford & Son / Jeffersons price point, they'd have seen more sales. Still, I don't know if that is financially viable for Fox to do so.

I agree with Peter. As more product comes on the market, it will be more difficult to sell it. I'm already seriously thinking about whether to invest $700 in ST: DS9. Then again, Paramount captions/subtitles their extras, so they have my allegiance.

If MTM goes away, it may not go away permanently. It may go to the back burner awaiting the economics equation to shift. Hopefully DVD production is becoming cheaper.

14. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    They didn't do their research??? If they don't sell enough peices to cover their costs, then the sales are 'disappointing'. It wouldn't be smart to throw good money after bad...if people aren't buying them, then they aren't buying them...we need to move on.

15. Rain

Rain Producer

While it has not yet been confirmed that they won't be releasing any further season sets, I will go on record saying that I am committed to buying any more that are released...right through to the end of the series if we ever get there.

16. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    As soon as I read the chat transcript I figured they wouldnt be releasing anymore either so I am glad i found this topic.
    I love this show and want all the seasons.
    I think the studios will find as they saturate the market with TV shows that people wont be able to buy all of the shows they want.
    I cant afford a 100.00 for each X-files box set.

What exactly was the snipet from the Christmas episode. This is the first I have heard of this.

17. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    Apparently because of music rights issues, a scene where Mary starts to sing "White Christmas" was edited out.

18. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Any word on this or is it still dead in the water????
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

March came and went, but some of us are still living in hope.

what about it Fox-
    how about instead of every 6 months, making it one season every year in Sept?

i too can not believe some of the other tv product that studios are releasing and seeming to make money from, and then beleive that a show and a dvd package like the MTM season one would disappoint.

incredulous.

20. JasonPW

JasonPW Stunt Coordinator

I am willing to wait this one out but I can't agree enough with other posters.

It's just depressing to see (urrrhuhuhuhrrgggggh) "Friends" sell like hotcakes and truly good television like "MTM" and "Larry Sanders" (season 2 ever gonna happen?) underperform.

Is there such a huge demand for barebones releases of 70's mediocrities like "Sanford and Son"? They're like tribbles...can't seem to get these out fast enough.

JPW