FOX plans to release hi-def dvds 60 days after theatrical bow

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by TonyD, Jan 8, 2006.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    LAS VEGAS--20th Century Fox is developing a plan to release its movies in high-definition just 60 days after theatrical release, according to News Corp. president-COO Peter Chernin.

Giving a keynote address at an invitation-only dinner here Friday at the Consumer Electronics Show, Chernin said Fox also is preparing plans to make movies available via video-on-demand simultaneously with their release on DVD--the first time a major studio chief has committed to eliminating the traditional window between home video and VOD.
    Chernin said Fox has not yet determined the delivery platform for the newly created high-def window between theatrical distribution and home video release. High-definition can be delivered via cable, satellite, the Internet and soon digital discs.

rest here....

http://www.dvdexclusive.com/article.asp?articleID=2636

2. Ryan-G

Ryan-G Supporting Actor

Interesting.

I'm seeing this as an interesting move that indicates that the industry is moving away from traditional Theater relationships, and more towards direct-to-consumer type marketing.

From my understanding, which could be wrong, the studios have traditionally shared revenue with Theaters during release. This indicates to me that the Studios are recognizing that the market is shifting away from Theaters and taking advantage of it to increase revenues.

Which, IMO, isn't that bad. As I think that both Angel and Firefly, as well as many other shows, would've had significant success had Studios recognized the value that the direct-to-consumer model has today with DVD.

I also believe that a narrower window will decrease piracy when coupled with better protection schemes.

All in all, I believe Theaters are going to become more indulgent forms of entertainment than the primary method of consumption. Theaters will specialize and offer significantly increased quality of experience, with increased price tages, and become an event.

Meanwhile, the studios will generate significantly greater revenue by releasing properties directly to consumers and not splitting revenue with the Theaters.

Much like DVD has all but eliminated Rental Sharing, I think DVD now threatens to eliminate Theaters as the primary venue.

3. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

this is supposedly for one-time viewing..

in which case, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Thanks for playing. Try again.

4. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

It is for one-time viewing, but it didn't say it was HD DVD. It just said it would be HD content, probably through Video On Demand from the sound of it.

5. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

What if they try a new business model: buy the disk and it's pay per view for 60 days (the theatrical window), after which it becomes a normal disk.

Essentially, this would be the same as buying a theatrical ticket each time you wanted to watch the movie and then owning the DVD on its release date.

Given my lifestyle-- would like to see first-run movies, but don't have the time/babysitter to get out with the wife often enough-- I could actually get on board for such a deal-- thus far the only thing I've heard of which could get me to hook up that blue ethernet cable to the back of the box.

6. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I'd be willing to pay up to say $10 per HD view at home in the 60 day window if it was VOD. I'll still want to own the disc, but anything that keeps me from having to deal with the myriad of annoyances at a theater is welcome. I would likely still visit a theater to see the big event flicks, but for something like the latest Christopher Guest movie, I'd be more than happy to screen it from home.

7. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

I can't see this working without the player being connected to the Internet, which is a requirement many here have stated would kill their enthusiasm for high definition video.

8. Aaron_Brez

Yes, hence my comment about it being the only thing which I've heard of which would make me consider going connected. Temporarily.

9. Eric_R.

Eric_R. Stunt Coordinator

I hate seeing the idea of removing theaters from the equation. I enjoy going to see a movie in a theater. Its sad that people can just sit in thier house and just order new movies, get out and do something. Is this the start of the extintion of the dinner and a movie date?

10. Aaron_Brez

When I go out to do something-- rare enough these days, with the kids-- I want to do something active, like swing dancing.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, of course, but I wouldn't mind at all seeing the overpriced popcorn go by the wayside.

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

As an alternate to a regular viewing, or even a rental - fine. As an alternate to owing a movie, pay-per-view = no way.

12. Aaron_Brez

I am in complete agreement with you, george. I will never buy a disk which is permanently pay-per-view, or which I must always be online to view.

13. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

If it came down to something where it was PPV, than I would officialy not buy that companies product. I'm sure as heck not going to spend my money on a
    one shot deal. I don't rent now, and I'm not going to for them especially after I spend a $1000 on a player and won't be able to keep anything for an extended amount of time.

Ryan

14. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

What kills me is the fact that after getting a beating on this when they tried this BS years ago, (DIVX) and it failed miserably. I think my brother in law still has his old Proscan DVD player with DIVX capability. [rant]GIVE IT A REST Studios, some of us will not pay for view only discs with time limits[/rant]. And now I'm spent