What's new

Fox Path Theater - Now Under Construction (1 Viewer)

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Well, after a couple of year's worth of planning the Fox Path Theater is finally under construction.

This will be a dedicated room (new addition) approximately 18' x 30'.

As it stands now the foundation has been poured and the decking is done. Framing for the walls will begin in the next couple of days, weather permitting.

I won't bore you with the details here, but anyone interested in following the progress can visit the Fox Path Theater site. (link in sig below) There you'll find floorplans, 3d renderings, a proposed equipment list and photos of the construction thus far.

I'll be updating the site in the next couple days with the most recent pics.

Questions and comments are always welcome...

John Swarce

Second Unit
Great site, Chip! :emoji_thumbsup:

The 3D renderings for your theater are excellent. I have the Punch Pro Series program. Is it possible for me to do the same type of renderings in that program, or do I need the Architectural Series? What interested me was the detailing on the riser, the wall sconces and the chairs. Where are these item renderings available? Not in my program, AFAIK!

Thanks in advance...

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
John,

The renderings on the main 'gallery' page were created using Autodesk's Revit program which is a slightly higher-end architectural program. The renderings in the 'gallery archives' section were done using Punch!.

The Punch! renderings are pretty dark without much detail so I'll assume your comments and questions were based on the Revit renderings. All of the items in these renderings are standard library items within the Revit program, although some have been modified to reflect real-world dimensions on specific products. (i.e. Berkline 090 seating)

I've used Punch! software for several years now and have always recommended it as the best 'consumer' program available. While programs such as Revit and Chief Architect are probably overkill ($$$) for HT design, the results are certainly excellent.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Chip-- I saw your plans before, but hadn't noticed one detail until I just saw the foundation pics--- you've got the room pushed out from the house on a 6-foot hallway. I presume it's so there are no shared walls with the main house. I am very interested to see how the exterior looks when it's finished. I've got to say that's a pretty daring design (architecturally, that is-- rooflines, continuity, etc.) Can't wait to see how it looks. Good Luck!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I chose to bring the addition away from the house for a couple of reasons.

There are two windows (bathroom & laundry room) that would have been blocked if we built the addition directly adjacent to the house, and I really didn't want to eliminate them.

I would have also had to move the A/C condenser and the dryer vent around the side of the house, neither of which is a big deal but a hassle nonetheless.

The added benefit is the sound isolation. With only the hallway connected to the main house there is very little common-wall area as you mentioned. It also allows for two doors and an "air-space" (lobby & equip room)between the theater proper the house which should cut down the transmission as well.

Our builder also suggested that it might look a bit strange, but weighing the pros/cons we opted for this design. I've done a fair bit of modelling the design to get a sense for how it will look but we won't really know until the walls are up.

We'll see how it turns out...stay tuned!

Jeff Holton

Stunt Coordinator
You put together a great sight... looks fantastic.

Are you going to have access to the crawlspace to use it for storage. If so, that's a great idea. Get a shiny, new home theater... and a place to store all the boxes from the equipment you'll have to buy.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

No access to the crawl space, per se. In fact, the crawlspace is now truly a crawl space as the foundation has been filled in and the clearance is now only about 18"-24".

There is an access panel in case I ever need to get under there for repairs, inspection, critters, etc. but not general access. In order to have reasonable access we would have had to cut a hole through the existing foundation and the extra expense wouldn't have been worth it, IMO.

Besides, the more storage space I have the more my family tends to accumulate. We're finally at the point where my wife agrees that we need to start cleaning out the basement. Adding additional storage would only give her ammunition for keeping more stuff.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
For those who may be following along I thought I'd post a quick update...

Foundation has been back-filled and framing has begun. The deck is on and the walls have been assembled but not yet raised. We've had a span of wet weather over the last couple of weeks which has limited the hours for the crew onsite, but next week is looking a little better so hopefully the pace will pick up a bit.

There are a few new pictures on the site and I'll update again next week once the walls go up.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Chip, looks great so far! What is the ETA for it to be finished?

BTW, are the neighbors shaking their heads in amazement ("He's crazy to be building an addition for a TV!!") or are they lining up to pre-purchase their tickets?:D

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Depending on the weather I'd say the shell will be complete and weather-tight in 2-3 weeks.

I'm going to be doing all of the interior work myself so that's going to take a while since I'll be working on it as time and money permits. It may take six months, it may take two years...won't really know until I get in there and have at it.

I want to do it right so I'm going to try not to rush things along just to meet a deadline.

Most of the neighbors think this will be a "media room", since that's the impression I've given to those who ask casually. I have some gossipy neighbors and I don't need half the town to know me as "the guy who's building a theater in his house".

Of those that know the details, the guys in the neighborhood all think it's pretty cool while their wives simply shake their heads and give my wife that "you-must-be-a-saint-to-put-up-with-him" look. ;)

John Swarce

Second Unit
Chip,

I see you're going the route that I'm on...doing most of the work yourself. I was under the impression that you were having a contractor do all of the work, not just the shell.

I told my wife the same thing in regards to a timetable...maybe six months, maybe 2 years! (I have really sold her on the idea of a projector/screen combo.) I am finishing my entire basement in addition to the theater room, so I am taking my time as well. Although, I would really like to see next year's Super Bowl in Hi-Def on a 100" screen :emoji_thumbsup: (who know's...maybe we'll see the Pats in it again!:D ).

Good luck with the project. I'm sure I will follow along via your website.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
More progress today as the walls are finally going up.

Feels strange to see it coming together after looking at it on paper for so long. I'm starting to get a real feel for the space which no amount of modeling in a computer can give you. So far I'm pretty pleased.

Updated pictures are on the site.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
A few new pictures on the site...

Roof trusses are up and the exterior sheathing is just about complete. Another week for the roofers and siding guys to do their thing and I'll be about ready to start tackling the interior.

Stay tuned...

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick update...

Finally started work on the interior. Framed the riser, lobby and equipment room this past weekend.

Updated pictures on the site.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chip:

Great looking HT for sure. Be sure to send me the URL when you are done and we will put you up on our member's HT page.

I sure wish I could afford that PLV 70.

Parker

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator

so is this theater being built in the real world or in the matrix?

(i know, i know... worst.joke.ever) ;)

[edit]
fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks