What's new

FOX/MGM DVDS on 05-22-07 including westerns, musicals and Gary Cooper films. (1 Viewer)

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

Dan:

Even without a major restoration, couldn't Warners, at much less cost, provide at least a DVD of The Hanging Tree that is superior to the VHS released in the early 90's?

Some expert like Robert Harris could best answer that question, however I wonder if this is an all or nothing issue like it is being portrayed. The question is can it be improved for an acceptable DVD release without a major restoration (i.e some improvement or partial restoration?). Warners decided not to go to the expense of restoring The Naked Spur last year, however the DVD copy appears to be an improvement over the VHS copy from the early 90's.

I get the message that you are quite taken with Operator 13. I'll have to take another look at it, as perhaps I missed something there. I think Operator 13 gets played about every year on rotation on TCM, so I would think that a fairly high quality copy for home use shouldn't be that hard to obtain by taping it yourself or having a friend do it. I don't recall even seeing The Hanging Tree playing on cable in recent years.

I do think it overwhelmingly likely that a second Cooper box set with The Hanging Tree included will sell far more units than a set that doesn't have it. In fact, all the other unreleased Cooper films in Warner's library are fairly obscure minor items (though I like Bright Leaf), while The Hanging Tree is a popular film from 1959 that many people will still remember and which featured the screen debut of George C. Scott and a theme song recorded by the popular pop/country singer, Marty Robbins. So Warner might be being penny wise and pound foolish if they opt not to spend money to restore The Hanging Tree and then release a box set that sells far less well than it could have done if The Hanging Tree had been included.

c Jim Bur

DanMel

Second Unit
Well getting back to the topic of MGM/Fox releases for this thread. After researching the Cooper library, I think the below titles are the only one's left unreleased to dvd that are owned by MGM/Fox. It would make for one great box set some day:

1) The Westerner
2) Return To Paradise
3) The Naked Edge
4) Man of the West
5) Ten North Frederick (owned by Fox but may be in legal battles to that ownership)
6) Garden of Evil (rumored to be getting released as a seperate release the end of this year or the beginning of next by fox)

The only other titles not released on dvd yet and not owned by Universial, WHV or MGM are Blowing Wild and Good Sam that were once owned by Republic but not sure who owns them now. I think Lions Gate or Artisian may own these now but not sure.

DanMel

Second Unit
Yes you are correct on that but it has been out of print so long that it is certainly due for a re-release. I seem to remember that one and Ball of Fire going out of print very shortly after they were released. They re-released Ball of Fire last year but The Westerner may not have been released last May because I think the print is in kind of bad shape. At least all the reviews I have read on the original dvd release stated this and the copy they show on TCM isn't all that great, which is what I have recorded.

Of course Man of the West has been released on dvd in R2 and I own that one but it would be nice to get an R1 release of this some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks