FOX: Make SUNRISE availible by itself!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Fox, this has to be the single-worst decision EVER made by a studio. As a serious silent cinema fan, I have been anticipating Sunrise for some time. Now, I found out that I have to purchase 3 DVDs I don't want to get to get to one I do want.

Sunrise is probably THE best silent film, and possibly one of the best movies ever made. (AFI was ignorant to leave this masterpiece off the top 100 list.)

Please don't give silent film fans the cold shoulder by forcing us to pay 3 times the amount that we want to pay.

After all, Warner Bros. didn't force us to purchase Ben-Hur, Casablanca, and Gone With The Wind to get Citizen Kane, did they?

Please reconsider!

Until Sunrise is announced on DVD by itself, I have no choice but to boycott Fox product. I encourage the rest of Home Theater Forum to do the same.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Patrick,
    What makes you think you can't purchase this dvd by itself? The press release just talks about getting Sunrise for free when buying the other three dvds, but it doesn't say it won't be available for purchase by itself.

Crawdaddy

3. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Robert, I see your point, but the press release gives a firm impression that while Grapes of Wrath and the other titles will be readily available, Sunrise can only be had after buying three other films.
    If Sunrise can be purchased individually, great. I stand corrected. But it's not stated in the press release that it can. There is no mention that it will be readily available like the others, as well as being part of a promotion.
    I see what Patrick sees and until I hear otherwise, I'm boycotting Fox product as well.
    It's hard enough to get silent films released as it is, properly and with care, but the possibility of having one of the best silent films used as a promo freebie just infuriates me.
    Fox - what say you?
    Regards,
    Gary

4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    So based on a short press release, you're organizing a boycott of Fox products? Sounds to me, like some of you, are really jumping the gun especially since it's not even confirmed that Sunrise will not be available for sale.

Crawdaddy

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    Well, it's meant to get Fox's attention.

Think of it this way....

What would you do if Warner offered Citizen Kane only by buying 3 other DVDs in their catalog?

All Fox has to do is SELL those Sunrise DVDs. It's THAT easy.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert

Again, I asked the question, how do you know they're not going to sell that dvd? To me, it seems like your protesting something that's not even been confirmed as a reality yet.

Crawdaddy

7. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I would be ok with it if they announced a wider selection of titles. Assuming it isn't available individually (which is certainly the impression the press release gives), I may not be able to get Sunrise for months while I wait for them to put out titles I want to purchase. (My Darling Clementine, The Ox-Bow Incident, remastered South Pacific)

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Patrick,
    Your first quote is directly from DVDFile, who in the past have made mistakes about relying information from initial press releases. The DVDFile column is not a verbatim quote from the Fox press release.
    In your second quote, the sentence in bold doesn't say it will only be offered free to those that purchase those three other titles. Until we see Fox officially state that the "only" way you can receive the "Sunrise" dvd is to purchase those other dvds than this thread is based on nothing, but an assumption.
    Okay, what if the worse case scenario comes to true and your assumption is correct. Fox does have the right to market their product as they see fit, however, as consumers we also have the right to express our displeasure to their marketing strategy. Whether our displeasure is a petition or a boycott of their product is strictly up to us, but I wonder the effectiveness of such actions particularly the latter.
    I for one will not support a boycott because I'm too much into films to keep myself from viewing the likes of "Laura", "Sunrise", "My Darling Clementine" and many others on the best video format available to me. I am not going to keep myself from experiencing such a viewing pleasure and I really wonder how many others will feel the same way? Looking at the MSRP of $19.98 for those titles, it seriously challenges anybody from purposely not buying those future classic dvd releases at $14.98 or lower.
    In closing, if Fox does restrict the availability of "Sunrise" then I viewed that as a mistake on their part! However, they can alleviate the impact of that mistake by allowing consumers to purchase any combination of three classic film titles that they're releasing in 2003, to be eligible in receiving the free "Sunrise" dvd. At least, this will allow consumers a choice of which classics they want to own and at a very affordable price compared to Columbia or Universal pricing structures.
    Crawdaddy

10. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I wouldn't boycott Fox for this decision(too many great DVD's in the making from them that I want), but I do want to be able to purchase SUNRISE without the need to purchase other titles.
    I hope that DVDFILE is wrong and that the film will be available for purchase.

11. Claes Ljunghorn

Claes Ljunghorn Stunt Coordinator

Yes. I also hope to be able to buy several copies of Sunrise and give it to friends that should see it!

12. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I can't wait to get his on DVD. As to the mail in offer, well I think we still need a little more info. I know what the press release makes it sound like, but I've seen misunderstandings happen before with a PR.