What's new

Fox Lorber The 400 Blows (1 Viewer)

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I had noticed this week at Amazon that they released the Fox Lorber edition of Francois Truffaut's The 400 Blows is this version any good? Anyone that has personally reviewed it or has a link to a review of it, I would really appreciate it! Regards, Jim

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Hi Jim,
Your best bet would be to hang until next year, when Criterion release a new souped-up special edition of this film to replace their old, OOP copy and the above Fox Lorber disc.
I'm pretty sure it'll be definitive. :)

Ike

Screenwriter
If you need a quick fix, the Fox Lorber isn't bad at all. It uses the old Criterion transfer, and though it's main flaw is a heavy number of knicks and scratches, the image (non-anamorphic letterbox, framed at 2.35:1) is generally pretty crisp. Add on the fact that it has a not-bad commentary, and it's not a bad package. Though, I for one hope the forth-coming Criterion edition trounces all over the Fox Lorber.

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
I got a chance to rent the Fox Lorber version via DVD Overnight - and the transfer was very good for a film from that time. One question I have - does anyone know if the Criterion version has/will have more than 6 chapter stops? That's the one thing I found very annoying.
As a plug for the film I enjoyed it very much, I think it was definitely ahead of it's time and foreshadows the dysfunctionalism present in so many of today's families. First Truffaut film I have viewed and will definitely look to check out more of his films in the future!
:)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
One question I have - does anyone know if the Criterion version has/will have more than 6 chapter stops? That's the one thing I found very annoying.

I guarantee you it will. That's just a Fox Lorber thing. I can't be bothered to dig out my Criterion disc but I'm sure it has more than twenty chapters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks