Fox Lorber 400 Blows

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Saul, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Paul_Saul

Paul_Saul Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone seen the Fox Lorber DVD of the movie 400 Blows?
    How was it?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Yes.
    I presume that you are not referring to the movie itself, but the DVD.
    I was somewhat disappointed with the quality of the DVD. I’ve not seen the Criterion version, so I can’t compare. It’s non-anamorphic, which is a bit disappointing, and as the second line of the subtitles are in the black portion of the letterbox, you can choose a smaller image (on a 16:9 set) or all of the subtitles. Or understand French.
    This review
    Discusses, the quality (or lack thereof) of the audio and video.
    Not very good, as I’ve indicated, but I’m not sure of any better options. To not watch The 400 Blows is clearly not an option.

3. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Wow, how telepathic, as I JUST watched the Fox Lorber disc this week -- I needed to see this right before I saw Tsai Ming-Liang's "What Time Is It There?", which has some major connections to Truffaut's film.

If you NEED to see the film, then the transfer is serviceable. It's misframed, 4x3 widescreen, with irritating negative splices throughout (mostly on scene dissolves) and some pretty bad film scratches and dirt level. I'm not sure how it stacks up against the Criterion version, mind you.

Winstar signed a deal a while back with Criterion to rerelease some of their titles, "The 400 Blows" being one of them. I'm not sure exactly WHEN, mind you. This current disc can be had cheap, and if you can put aside the flaws in the transfer to watch the FILM, then I recommend it.

Jason

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Far and away the best version of The 400 Blows is the French R2 DVD from MK2. It is a fine anamorphic transfer, does have English subtitles (ignore what Cinestore says) and has all kinds great extras from Truffaut's short Les Mistons to priceless audition footage of most of the kids cast in the film including Jean-Pierre Leaud.
    Very highly recommended!
    Ted

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

The transfer isn't bad, it's certainly watchable, but it doesn't glow like Criterion's work. It does have a pretty good commentary track from Glenn Kenny of Premiere Magazine.

6. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I had the Criterion disc, and after seeing the Fox Lorber version, I decided that I could sell my Criterion for $300.00 on ebay and live with the $20 version. Neither is anamorphic anyway; and the extras on the Criterion are NOT worth $280.00 more. I didn't see a big differnce between picture quality either.

7. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Criterion are going to be re-releasing this movie next year in a new special edition (more supplements, new restored anamorphic transfer), along with some more Truffauts. This is not a mere rumour.

8. Michael Taylor

Michael Taylor Stunt Coordinator

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

11. Matt Krapf

Matt Krapf Stunt Coordinator

I look forward to seeing the new CC release. I missed the prvious edition.

12. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

It was my understanding that the Fox Lorber transfer of The 400 Blows is a direct port of the Criterion Laserdisc. I have thus far heard nothing to refute that.

If this is true, it would imply that the Criteroin DVD of The 400 Blows is a superior, improved transfer over it's LD counterpart.

I am still in shock over seeing how much the CC 400 Blows sells for on Ebay... that's just absurd (in my opinion).

~j