Fox-"Kiss of the Dragon" Major Gripe!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Vandeweerd, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I was reading the specs today for the upcoming Fox release of Jet li's "Kiss of the Dragon" on dvdreview.com listed in their film vault section under January releases and was very upset to see that "Kiss of the Dragon" (01/22) will not have a dts track! How is it that a horrendously bad film such as "Monkeybone" (Fox) warrants a dts track? Why would "Kiss of the Dragon" with a much more bankable Jet li not merit a dts track? I really do not understand this and wonder what kind of logic is used in coming to these decisions? This for me was the one Fox title that I was looking forward to for 2002. I do understand that the transfer and 5.1 are said to be very good but this in my estimation doesn't cut it! I am Extremely disappointed that "Kiss of the Dragon" will not include a dts track!! Shame on You!!

2. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

DTS tracks should be looked at as a bonus right now. They are done on a title by title basis. Many factors come into play. Not enough disc space, director didn't want one, or they just choose too skip out on the track. While it is a shame for a studio to not have one, it happens. Also, your comaprison too Monkey Bone is unfair, as shown on some of the points stated above. Some people liked Monkey Bone therefore are happy with the DTS. What your doing here is just telling studios not to put in DTS cause they can't either way when they do add a DTS track. That's just my opinion.

3. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Chad,

I'm of the opinion that if there is a dts track available that it should be a mandatory add to all dvd releases and if the studios are griping about costs then why spend the money putting dts tracks on IMHO "Truly Forgettable films" like "Monkeybone" instead of potential money makers like "Kiss of the Dragon"? It will be interesting to hear Peter Staddon's take on this especially since "Kiss of the Dragon" would have been an excellent start to 2002 for Fox's dts slate for 2002.??

4. John O

John O Stunt Coordinator

While I do not agree with the tone of the thread ( a little too [​IMG] for me ) , I am curious about the lack of a DTS track.
    I will grab the disc anyway, but I was hoping for a DTS track.