FOX: I've gotten 5 defective copies of THIN RED LINE!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Sharp, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp Stunt Coordinator

They all have one thing in common: no sound! Two were purchased from the same place, then I went to a different source for three more bad ones.

I think FIVE tries at purchasing a DVD is enough, so finally I gave up.

That's really bad quality control.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Kevin, are all the settings on your receiver/preamp adjusted correctly? And what menu option did you select for the soundtrack? On the other hand, it's not inconceivable there was a bad batch run at the replicating plant, and your retailer purchased many of those discs. But five defective copies in a row is pretty unusual.

3. Rain

Rain Producer

I encountered "no sound" once on a DVD. Mind you, it was Criterion's Hamlet, so this probably won't work, but try it anyway:

Instead of starting the film with the "Play" option, go to the chapter menu and start it from there.

I have no idea why, but it worked on Hamlet. You never know.

[​IMG]

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If you don't have a DTS receiver, it is possible you were attempting to play the DTS track and got no output. Make sure that you set up the disc prior to playing for the equipment you have.

5. Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp Stunt Coordinator

Guys,

I tried everything, even took 4 of the 5 copies to a friend's house to try on his setup. No dice. These were bad discs, period. [​IMG]

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Are you sure the DTS digital audio output on your player is turned ON (all players default it to OFF until you first turn it ON in the player setup screen)? Also check to make sure your receiver is in AUTO format detecting mode (and has a DTS logo on the front). I don't know what player you have too, but it must also read DTS Digital Out on the front panel.

Dan