What's new

FOX- - If you ever do D.C.'s Fly SE... (1 Viewer)

Greg K

Second Unit
Greetings, Fox (and/or Peter Staddon)!
Being a devoted fan of David Cronenberg's The Fly (1986), I was saddened to learn a while back that no Special Edition was "in the cards" for at least the next 18 months. A friend in England ([email protected]) and I have constructed a Fly fansite (http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/zelazny/119), and we've noticed that there's a large demand from the film's fans to see a SE released. Between us, my friend and I probably know more about the film and it's creation than anyone who wasn't actually involved in the making of it. If a SE is eventually produced (as we hope for all the time), then we'd like to do support it in any way, perhaps even contributing to a text-only commentary track.
Some features fans are hoping to see someday would likely include:
Commentary from writer/director David Cronenberg, FX artist Chris Walas, actors Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, John Getz, producer Stuart Cornfeld, composer Howard Shore, production designer Carol Spier, etc.
The film's *legendary* deleted scenes/epilogue (monkey-cat!), with optional commentary, and/or a short documentary on them. (Hopefully, this footage still exists. It was used in a rough-cut and previewed for an audience or two.)
Retrospectives from cast/crew, and documentaries on the film's OSCAR-winning makeup and creature effects, as well as visual effects/set designs.
Behind-the-scenes (Makeup tests/photos, telepod construction, etc.) and still photo galleries.
The original 6-min. promo piece (included on the Fly/Fly II double feature in every region...except REGION 1!)
The 2000 AMC documentary "The Fly Papers".
The original Charles Edward Pogue script, which was rewritten by Cronenberg to fit his own filmmaking sensibilities.
Trailers/tv spots.
I would hope that a Fly Special Edition sees the light of day eventually. Is there at least a CHANCE that this will come to pass? If it does, and you wish to consult us, please contact us. Thank you for your time!
- Greg Kirkman ([email protected])

Michael*K

Screenwriter
A special edition of this film is badly needed. The "double-feature" disc with The Fly IIwas a bad idea. A film of the stature of Cronenberg's 1986 release deserves more TLC.

Greg K

Second Unit
Well, the double feature pros and cons go like this for me:

PROS:

1. Getting both films on one disc at a good price.

2. Having the films on DVD to tide us over until/if any SEs are made.

CONS:

1. No SE material WHATSOEVER! All we got were trailers. It was very bare-bones.

2. Instead of the 6-min. promo pieces that Regions 2, 3, 4, etc. got, we in Region 1 just got "cross" trailers for the other FOX double-feature releases! How come WE didn't get the ONE and ONLY supplemental piece that everyone else did???????

3. Having The Fly by itself on DVD only makes us yearn for a Special Edition even more!

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Over on the Mobius Home Video Forum, Tim Lucas mentioned that he was contacted by Fox regarding an S.E., as he was on the set during much of the shooting (he covered the film for several magazines) and has a good relationship with Cronenberg. He mentioned having seen the "Monkey-Cat" sequence in a rough cut and was informed that the footage is currently MIA.

So it at least seems like it's in the works!

Greg K

Second Unit
Yes, I already knew about this. In fact, I had several e-mail conversations with Mr. Lucas, and found out a great deal about the deleted scenes and WHY they were deleted. He also said that he was surprised that only a Double-Feature was released AFTER he was spoken to about an SE.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
maybe they will release a special edition on the 20th anniversary? which would be 2006.

JACOB

Greg K

Second Unit
You know, I heard that R2 (England) released a "15th aniversary" version on DVD. Of course, this was the same as the Fly/Fly II double feature, except it had a new cover and no Fly II. Huh.So, R2 has had 3 versions I know of:

1. Fly/Fly II double feature (with some extra interviews and clips that every region but R1 got).

2. Fly and Fly II single releases (Separate versions of the DVDs, utilizing half of the D.F. cover art).

3. Fly "15th anniversary edition" (Same as # 2, but with new cover art....featuring one pic of deleted stage 4-b Brundle...but no deleted scene...!!!)

It drives me nuts that the American VHS re-release of The Fly (Actually "2oth Century Fox Selections" overstock in a new box based on DVD case) features that same deleted scene pic on the back. What an insult, to be so close, yet so far away!!!!!

Greg K

Second Unit
I swear, does this film have ANY truly loyal followers other than myself and my pal???? If we actually showed a front of unified reslove, people might start taking us seriously concerning this badly needed Special Edition!!!!!!!!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I want a special edition dvd of the fly. It was the first video that I ever bought.

JACOB

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
It Should be noted that David Cronnenberg's "The Fly"/"The Fly II" Double Feature dvd has a reasonably good transfer. What I found was incredible was the Pristine transfer on the Original also a Double Feature flipper. The Transfer was Amazing considering the age of the film.

Greg K

Second Unit
Yes, the Fly/Return of the Fly Double Feature had a very solid picture/sound. The Fly/Fly II disc was also impressive. Still....we need an SE....

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I do agree that the transfer for both the fly and the fly 2 were great..it was very nice.

JACOB

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
This is one of my favorite films of all time. I'd love an SE. I remember Fox was going to do this back in '96 (pre-DVD) as a laserdisc set.

Of course I'd buy an S.E.

But I'm still waiting for 'Naked Lunch,' too!

Greg K

Second Unit
Indeed...a reason was never given for the SE laserdisc's cancellation, as far as I know. Film historian Tim Lucas (who wrote "The Fly Papers" for Cinefex # 28) has stated that he was contacted by a guy at Fox doing work for an SE a year or three ago, but he was surprised when the film was released as the Fly/Fly II double feature instead. I would REALLY like to know why that laserdisc was cancelled, though....

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I swear, does this film have ANY truly loyal followers other than myself and my pal????
Hell yeah! Cronenberg is my second favorite director of all time, and I absolutely treasure every film he has done, THE FLY included! I am as loyal a person to Cronenberg's films as you're likely to find. Fox had better do this masterpiece justice in the very near future, because this is one film that is truly deserving!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I heard about the se on laser disc. I also want to know what happened to it.. I heard Image was going to release it.

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks